PDA

View Full Version : 5e chronomancer using the 2e chronomancer

Meepwizard
2017-09-08, 10:47 PM
I've read over the 2e chronomancer PDF after wanting to make a chrominance, but realizing that there are no "official" examples to go off of. I've only ever played 5e(i wasn't born during any other edition), but I realize that there are key differences between such editions. Have any of you attempted to port older edition material to 5e? From what I've been reading it seems like the only problem is the prestige classes; which I think we can ignore.

Naanomi
2017-09-08, 11:40 PM
Chronoamancer is more of a 'time travel campaign setting' than a functional class on its own... though I bet you could pare it down and find the non time-travel specific spells (focusing on time manipulation) as a functional 'time magic' wizard subclass

Anymage
2017-09-08, 11:48 PM
PRCs are a 3e thing. 2e had kits, which were minor modifications to your base class and worked mostly like how backgrounds work now.

Although Naanomi hit the nail largely on the head. Some of the spells, like ones that affect aging, don't really gel with the current design philosophy. Most of the rest of the spells could be ported with some simple adjustments, and don't even require a dedicated chronomancy specialization. Refluff existing spells to taste if you really want the theme. (E.G: Shield can be reworked as you dodging in bullet time instead of having a shield of magical force pop up in front of you.)

Then there's the extra plane added to the cosmology, and the implicit promise of time travel. Those are campaign defining to the point of requiring DM buy in. And if the DM does feel like playing a time jumping campaign, that ability should not be restricted to one character archetype and their use of spell slots.

UrielAwakened
2017-09-09, 10:33 AM
On the homebrew D&D subreddit /r/UnearthedArcana someone made a really good 5e Chronomancer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/3vhk15/5e_chronomancer_entire_class/

Direect link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzArt9stiOmmdmJqVkRmaUFDSFk/view