PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Making new class for PC

Dlabuga
2017-09-08, 11:11 PM
One of my friends [PC] wanna play a character based in one class from the game Lineage 2.

The Duelist - i dont know what to do...

You guys can check the game searching in youtube or google.

Please help me

Thx

Cyrocloud
2017-09-08, 11:29 PM
I just watched a 6 minute youtube video and have little idea of what exactly you want. Can you please give a written description of what your player wants.

The class description does not seem to match the video I saw. An Iron caster twf fighter seems like a good match. Possibly an Elementalist or Mage Knight(from spheres of power) who invests in twf.

ATHATH
2017-09-08, 11:37 PM
Pathfinder is a very versatile system- you probably won't have to make a new class for your player.

What abilities do duelists have?

Dlabuga
2017-09-09, 06:20 AM
HE wants to use TWF, heavy armor, huge HP, powers using the duals, like weak ranged dmg and powerfull melee damage, but to do high dmg u need to have "charges"... charge 1 to 8.

charge 1 = weak power damage
charge 8 = high power damage

something like that

Florian
2017-09-09, 06:33 AM
HE wants to use TWF, heavy armor, huge HP, powers using the duals, like weak ranged dmg and powerfull melee damage, but to do high dmg u need to have "charges"... charge 1 to 8.

something like that

Sorry, the d20 system simply canīt handle and simulate "charges" like the WoW Rogue or Lineage2 Duelist.

Raxxius
2017-09-09, 08:20 AM
Path of war class, warlord with vanguard Commander and thrashing dragon would give you heavy armour and tiered powers.

Zombulian
2017-09-09, 10:40 AM

something like that

Why is he playing D&D/PF if he just wants to play a videogame?

Dlabuga
2017-09-09, 12:51 PM
Well dont need to be the like the game.

I was thinking:

Full bbA
Rage from barb
Good fort poor ref and Will
2+int skill
D12 hp
Only heavy armor
Bonus feats for twf
Can use con instead of dex for twf feats requirements
Bonus from CON instead of dex for armor class
Can create a charge effect expending rage dayle use/standard action
Max charge 4
When use 1 charge gain str and bonus to damage
2 charge 1.5 str and con bonus to dmg
3 charge 1.5 str and 1.5 con bonus to dmg
4 charge 2 str and 2 con bonus to dmg

Zombulian
2017-09-09, 01:06 PM
He could always just be a Mystic Ranger with Sword of the Arcane Order. Full BAB, d8 HD, decent skills, TWF tree built in, plus Ranger and Sorc/Wiz casting up to level 5 spells at level 10. Blood Wind spell lets him attack at range with his weapons sometimes. Blade of Blood and similar spells can mimic the idea of expending charges for extra effects.

Telonius
2017-09-09, 01:57 PM
Melee class that uses tiered powers to do more or less damage ... almost sounds like a gestalt Psychic Warrior//Warblade with Tiger Claw for TWF.

ATHATH
2017-09-09, 03:33 PM
Sorry, the d20 system simply canīt handle and simulate "charges" like the WoW Rogue or Lineage2 Duelist.
Actually...

Would a Spellthief (possibly with the Trickster archetype) with the Godsblood feat be acceptable for your player? Basically, IIRC, the Godsblood feat enables the Spellthief to convert spells that he steals when he hits stuff (the "charges") into spells from a specific domain (the "powers") that he chooses when he takes the feat. Select a domain with a bunch of self-buffing spells and you should be good to go. Maybe pick up the Death Knell spell (and/or other spells similar to it) as well.

Florian
2017-09-09, 03:48 PM
Actually...

No, sorry.

ATHATH
2017-09-09, 03:51 PM
No, sorry.
What do you mean by that?

johnbragg
2017-09-09, 04:03 PM

I'm very leery of a flat statement that d20 "can't" do something. Maybe it can't be done well, but it can be done to some extent.

Basically, player wants to run a martial with a resource-management mechanic? OK. So give him the class features listed in the OP, use the Psionic Power Points table for the Psychic Warrior or the Psychic Rogue, and let him spend points to buy extra damage dice.

That sounds closer to what the player seems to want than a Tome of Battle class.

Florian
2017-09-09, 04:39 PM
Itīs quite simple: Charge / Finishing Move mechanics work for systems that donīt know iterative attacks and replace regular scaling damage with a risk vs. reward mechanic for staying focused on your target.

Considering how baseline d20 works, this makes no sense as these concepts are already integrated in how BAB works and how damage is calculated. To use PF terms, the feat Hammer The Gap and the Fighter (Foehammer) class feature Rhythmic Blows actually model what weīre talking about here.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-09-09, 05:08 PM
Florian, people have been posting perfectly calid ways to pull this off (Spellthief is my favorite so far) so maybe you're being needlessly obstructive?

Mehangel
2017-09-09, 06:15 PM
Itīs quite simple: Charge / Finishing Move mechanics work for systems that donīt know iterative attacks and replace regular scaling damage with a risk vs. reward mechanic for staying focused on your target.

Considering how baseline d20 works, this makes no sense as these concepts are already integrated in how BAB works and how damage is calculated. To use PF terms, the feat Hammer The Gap and the Fighter (Foehammer) class feature Rhythmic Blows actually model what weīre talking about here.

Spheres of Might has the Prodigy (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v9PDF-VAiBC1DENcm0IDeFFRPv_JmKi0lrS-rp6lk7Q/edit#) class in playtesting which has a charge / finish mechanic.

Florian
2017-09-09, 06:19 PM
Florian, people have been posting perfectly calid ways to pull this off (Spellthief is my favorite so far) so maybe you're being needlessly obstructive?

Iīve actually played the MMO we talk about here and know how the "Duelist" works and what performance it should reach and how a character should "feel".
So excuse me for pointing out that this is just a bog-standard TWF Fighter in Full Plate and we need not talk any further, goal reached.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-09-09, 07:37 PM
If that's what you meant, I'm happy to drop it, though I disagree that a Fighter has the build-up and special move mechanics requested.

ATHATH
2017-09-10, 01:31 AM
Basically, player wants to run a martial with a resource-management mechanic? OK. So give him the class features listed in the OP, use the Psionic Power Points table for the Psychic Warrior or the Psychic Rogue, and let him spend points to buy extra damage dice.
Isn't that kind of what the Lurk's whole schtick is?

Florian
2017-09-10, 01:49 AM
If that's what you meant, I'm happy to drop it, though I disagree that a Fighter has the build-up and special move mechanics requested.

It's a bit of a hen and egg situation. LII is heavily inspired by AD&D and tried to model how the Fighter and Weapon Specialization work, but has the regular auto-attack on a fixed timer and the "hit harder" attacks on a cooldown. They build around this limitations by using the finishing move mechanic to give you the missing additional attack.

So this is a bit like trying to reinvent the wheel by first taking iterative attacks due to BAB away, then trying to introduce a mechanic that will generate additional attacks.

Zombulian
2017-09-11, 12:38 PM
Isn't that kind of what the Lurk's whole schtick is?

*Hissss*

We don't talk about the Lurk here. Only the Psychic Rogue exists.

ATHATH
2017-09-11, 01:11 PM
It's a bit of a hen and egg situation. LII is heavily inspired by AD&D and tried to model how the Fighter and Weapon Specialization work, but has the regular auto-attack on a fixed timer and the "hit harder" attacks on a cooldown. They build around this limitations by using the finishing move mechanic to give you the missing additional attack.

So this is a bit like trying to reinvent the wheel by first taking iterative attacks due to BAB away, then trying to introduce a mechanic that will generate additional attacks.
This reminds me of Flurry of Blows for some reason.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-09-11, 07:14 PM
Actually yeah, a monk with one of the weapon-using archetypes fits pretty well.