PDA

View Full Version : Careful Spell and Web

Chugger
2017-09-09, 04:50 AM
Guides say that using careful spell to cast web is amazing because the monsters who miss STs get stuck and your friends - whom you cast webs over - all save because of the sorc ability (careful).

But is it a one-shot deal? Or if, in the case of webs, does it go on and on - making the selected party members simply not susceptible to the web?

First I need to make sure I understand the mechanic for web (please tell me if I'm wrong about this) - the caster casts a web, but no saving throws are rolled at that time. Now it's player A's turn, but via careful spell he auto-saves and is not stuck. I presume it's still difficult terrain for him, but he's facing say an orc - an orc which is in limbo regarding it's web-stuck or web-not-stuck (restrained) status.

So player A can attack the orc - or leave the webs (but gives the orc an AoO right?).

Now it's the Orc's turn and since it starts its turn in the webs it must roll a ST, which it misses. Okay now it is restrained. It swings at disad at player A and misses.

Now it's casters turn, and he takes care of some other part of the battlefield.

It's player A's turn - and this is a big question for me - he's still in the webs and starting his turn in the webs and so needs to roll a ST. Except does Careful Spell make him immune to these webs (except possibly the difficult terrain part) this round, also - and all following rounds? Or was it only on the first ST?

The PHB doesn't really say if it lasts or doesn't. It says 'A chosen creature automatically succeeds on its saving throw against the spell.' I guess that means the whole spell - i.e. the webs for their duration - so I guess the answer is that careful spell does protect party members all rounds of the web's existence. Or does it?

gloryblaze
2017-09-09, 04:57 AM
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/06/06/can-careful-spell-be-used-with-cloudkill/

Per Sage Advice, Careful Spell and Web do not interact at all. Careful Spell only affects saving throws that are made in response to the spell on the turn it is cast - since. I saving throws are made on the turn that Web is case, no targets get to succeed automatically thanks to Careful Spell.

However, I know that many DMs, including myself, house rule Careful Spell to be more in line with what you describe. For example, at my table, if a Careful Web is cast, it will never restrain one of the designated targets, even if they start their turn in its area.

Chugger
2017-09-09, 12:58 PM
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/06/06/can-careful-spell-be-used-with-cloudkill/

Per Sage Advice, Careful Spell and Web do not interact at all. Careful Spell only affects saving throws that are made in response to the spell on the turn it is cast - since. I saving throws are made on the turn that Web is case, no targets get to succeed automatically thanks to Careful Spell.

However, I know that many DMs, including myself, house rule Careful Spell to be more in line with what you describe. For example, at my table, if a Careful Web is cast, it will never restrain one of the designated targets, even if they start their turn in its area.

Thanks. So my S.A. pdf is not complete!

I guess CS might work on hyp pattern but not web. Seems like it's mostly used to "call down friendly fire" on your own people so they survive (the fireball) and the enemy doesn't.... or hyp pat....