PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Best Elven Accuracy Archer Build for Always-On Advantage?

Lonely Tylenol
2017-09-09, 05:49 AM
Hey guys, so my fiancée and I are joining a new game that has some pretty unusual circumstances which are making the Unearthed Arcana feat Elven Accuracy look pretty amazing:

- We are level 4, so we are all high enough level for at least one feat;
- We are all human (game is set in late Victorian London wherein magic suddenly returned to the earth Shadowrun-style), so two feats on a level 4 character are not just possible, but expected;
- Since we are all supposed to be human, the racial feats we'd normally be locked out of are allowed, provided we use customization options geared toward that "type" of human (so an Elven Accuracy character could be human, but would need to have a fey connection);
- Beginning array is 17/17/14/14/10/10 for everyone, so the array is good enough that anyone can have a 20 in their main stat at level 4, even with a +1 feat like Elven Accuracy;
- I have already decided to play a Mastermind Rogue, who is a noncombatant character centered around using the Help action to give other people free advantage in combat.

My fiancée has already decided to play an archer. An archer who, thanks to my being a Mastermind, will have the easiest advantage a ranged character will likely ever get.

With that in mind, when advantage is free and available to an Elven Accuracy archer, what's the best type of build to go forward with?

We had a few builds in mind:
- Champion Fighter: Take Sharpshooter, load up on attacks, broaden the threat range, and crit fish. Less good because I can only grant advantage to the first attack.
- Spell-Less Ranger: As above, but with less attacks and with Battlemaster maneuvers to balance it out.
- A multiclass of Champion and Spell-Less Ranger: Gets the attack riders from Favored Enemy and Ranger Archetype, gets Battlemaster maneuvers plus expanded threat range. Gets fewer attacks, but probably better than the sum of its parts for this build.
- Rogue: Load up Sneak Attack on that one killer shot, try to crit fish with Sneak Attack dice on triple advantage.
- Hexblade: Get a 19-20 threat range with Hexblade's Curse, Hex is rider damage, Hexblade's Curse also gives proficiency mod to damage, Hexblades get a smite-like ability using an invocation, can get two attacks.
- A multiclass of Rogue and Hexblade: Past level 5 of Hexblade, you're mostly just getting higher-level spell slots and, eventually, a third slot per short rest. Some other stuff that's not central to the build. From there, you can probably do more to advance the nova by just taking levels of Rogue for always-on rider damage.

But we're both waffling on what looks good.

Do you guys have any suggestions that could steer us in the right direction on this?

Thanks!

djreynolds
2017-09-09, 06:03 AM
Barbarian and reckless attack coupled with champion could be nasty.

I actually ran a 2 barbarian/ 12 Eldritch knight.

I would reckless attack in full plate, but not rage, and spam the shield spell as my reaction basically canceling the advantage to hit me. It is RAW and it works

You could fool around with a hex blade/barbarian as I think they also get the shield spell as a domain spell

Just never rage and only use reckless attack and the shield spell

Unoriginal
2017-09-09, 06:14 AM
Doesn't this mean your Mastermind will constatly be in melee range of your group's foes, without attacking?

Silavor
2017-09-09, 07:17 AM
Doesn't this mean your Mastermind will constatly be in melee range of your group's foes, without attacking?

The Mastermind archetype can use Help as a bonus action, and their enemy only has to be within 30 ft of them, rather than melee range.

Sir cryosin
2017-09-09, 07:24 AM
Valor bards make great archers at level 10 you can pick up swift quiver giving you four attacks.

Rebonack
2017-09-09, 08:32 AM
Warlock 3 (Devil's Sight) or Shadow Sorcerer 3 (spooky darkness) is probably the most consistently available source of advantage. Especially for builds that are going to be making multiple attacks per round.

Gignere
2017-09-09, 08:44 AM
Even with mastermind helping the advantage is only good for one attack. Anyway for pure DPR I like a battlemaster, sharpshooter taking precision and trip maneuvers. If you go high enough level dip 2 war cleric to get some bonus actions.

If your fiancee doesn't mind using a hand crossbow, take both crossbow expert and sharpshooter. By level 5 she can have three attacks every round doing 1d6 + dex +10. If she went the crossbow route she can skip dipping cleric. Maybe dip either warlock or ranger to nab hex or hunter's mark.

GlenSmash!
2017-09-09, 12:23 PM
Barbarian and reckless attack coupled with champion could be nasty.

I was playing around with this the other day. Half-Elf Barbarian with Reckless Attack/Elven Accuracy for super advantage.