PDA

View Full Version : Sneaky Archer?

tahu88810
2007-08-12, 04:34 PM
If I were planning to make a sneaky character who uses a bow, what would you suggest?

I'm think a human(or something sneakier) rogue with a longbow.
Lots of ranks in hide, move silently, tumble, and other such sneaky stuff.

I've been looking at that Scoundrel book (complete scoundrel?), but I can't find any really sneaky prestige classes there.

Bards also seem good, especially if I can have the instrument either conceal a rapier or double as a bow (standard action to turn it into a bow, maybe?)

nerulean
2007-08-12, 04:46 PM
Are you dead set on using a bow? If not the feat crossbow sniper from PHBII is rather tasty for a ranged rogue.

Otherwise, a whisper gnome from Races of Stone is king of stealth, and the shadow template from the Manual of the Planes might be worth a look if you can bear a LA.

Take a peek at Nightsong Infiltrator from Complete Adventurer for a sneaky sneaky prestige class that the rest of the group will appreciate too.

If you want a bow that can serve double purposes, an elvencraft bow from Races of the Wild might be up your street, too.

tannish2
2007-08-12, 04:49 PM
well... if i were to make a sneaky archer it would be fighter/ranger....but thats just me, ide put 2 ranks in hide/move silently every other level, get favored enemies, and get a few spells later if i had a decent wisdom, but thats just me

Vhaidara
2007-08-12, 04:50 PM
Whisper Gnaome Ranger. That, or an elf.

Spiryt
2007-08-12, 04:50 PM
Well, i found

Sniper's Shot - Divination
No range limit on next sneak attack.

Assasin's spell. More details are in Spell compendium or Magic of Faerun, it seems.

Assasin can cast four 1st level, so that means four sneak attacks at any range. Assasin also has other pretty deadly spells improving his ranged attacks ( most in spell compendium).

By SRD assasin had to be evil, though, I don't know if you like it.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-08-12, 04:56 PM
well the best bow PrC is in Comp War, cant remeber what its called but you get good bow attacks.

PinkysBrain
2007-08-12, 04:58 PM
Are you dead set on using a bow? If not the feat crossbow sniper from PHBII is rather tasty for a ranged rogue.
Frst he needs crossbow proficiency (or use a hand crossbow) then he needs another feat for fast reloading, for what? A few points of extra damage. Crossbows are terrible weapons, the only people who should be using them are wizards.

PS. he can also not use greater manyshot with a crossbow, one of the best ranged sneak attack feats there is.

PPS. OotBI sucks.

PPPS. Tahu, what books can you use apart from core and complete scoundrel?

Vhaidara
2007-08-12, 04:59 PM
Order of the Bow initiate and another one. I think the other one is elf only.

Spiryt
2007-08-12, 05:00 PM
well the best bow PrC is in Comp War, cant remeber what its called but you get good bow attacks.

Well if you are talking about Order of a Bow Initiate, I heard he is not so good. Yeah, on 10th level he get's sneak attack up to 60 feet, but this can be gained much easier.

Deepwood Sniper is deadly, but he is from 3.0 Masters of the Wild.

PinkysBrain
2007-08-12, 05:01 PM
The easiest way to go for a sneaky archer is the scout 3/ranger X with swift hunter feat ... it's overdone, but that's only cause it's cool.

JackMage666
2007-08-12, 05:08 PM
Or, Rogue/Scout with the feat from Complete Scoundrel. If you go mostly rogue levels, you'll have full skirmish and almost full sneak attack, allowing you to pile on precision damage. BAB will suffer, but you should be hitting Flat-Footed opponents most of the time, so it's not as bad as it seems, though you will lose an attack. But you're 1d8+14d6+Str+Enhancment+Whatever else should make up for the extra attack.

tahu88810
2007-08-12, 05:23 PM
Alright, thansk for the suggestions. :)

Behold_the_Void
2007-08-12, 05:35 PM
Rogue/Scout or Ranger/Scout with the Complete Scoundrel feat to stack the levels, perhaps going into Assassin.

Droodle
2007-08-12, 05:40 PM
Rogue/Scout or Ranger/Scout with the Complete Scoundrel feat to stack the levels, perhaps going into Assassin.For the non-evil inclined, you could go with the Avenger (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070401a) instead of the Assassin PrC. It gives basically the same stuff.

Person_Man
2007-08-12, 06:00 PM
1) Factotum 8/Whatever X: Factotum get 1 extra standard action per encounter. Manyshot is a standard action.

2) Psychic Rogue (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b) and/or Psychic Assassin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723d). Either will give you the Mind Cripple ability (2 points of Int damage whenever you deal Sneak Attack damage, No Save), which is absolutely deadly when used correctly.

3) Scout/Rogue: With the Swift Ambusher feat, you get full Sneak Attack and full Skirmish progression.

4) Rogue/Swashbuckler: With the Daring Outlaw feat, you get full Sneak Attack and 19/20 BAB and Int to damage.

5) Human Factotum 1/Wizard X with Able Learner feat: Factotum have every Skill in class. You now essentially have every Skill on your class list permanently, and plenty of Skill points to use on them. Buff yourself and your weapons, and shoot people.

6) Cleric X/PrC Y with Zen Archery and the right domains. Cleric Archers are generally considered the most powerful. With high Int and the right spells, you can do everything a Skill Monkey does, but better, and with high AC and more hit points.

7) Rogue 10 with Crippling Strike ability and the Savvy Rogue feat. Crippling Stike deals Str damage. Savvy Rogue lets you deal it against enemies that are immune to Sneak Attack (undead, constructs, etc). It's not as potent as Mind Cripple (most enemies have low Int, and those that have high Int usually have their best spells screwed when you knock their Int down), but being able to deal Str damage against anyone fills in a major weakness of most Skill Monkey builds.

Orzel
2007-08-12, 06:19 PM
Sorry I'm late to the party.

Whisper gnome scout X/ranger Y with swift hunter, deadeye shot, greater manyshot, and woodland archer feats.

StickMan
2007-08-12, 09:01 PM
You want to be a Ranger if you want to be a good archer. But you have to use PHB2 and Complete Champion. Take Distracting Attack, this feat can save your party more than you know being able to set up flanks all over the battle field is useful especially if there is a rouge in your party and anyone else in the group will also like the plus 2 you give them. Ditch your spell casting it is weak and not useful for long take the variant from Complete Champion and get the extra feats with these extra feats you have about as many feats as the fighter and better class features and special abilities. Make sure to take Improved Rapid shot.

You can see my ranger who uses this build here Kyan Darkrun (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=10667).

If you want a power build then you may want to look at someone else's build. I had allot of fun with this and it worked out very well.