PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Mt. Dw. Fighter lesser abilities

ZorroGames
2017-09-09, 08:42 AM
BLUF should I adjust my IN, WI, and/or CH abiliity stats?

Chainmail, BA, and Sh

ST 17 (15+2)
DE 10
CO 17 (15+2)
IN 8
WI 14
CH 8

Not looking to MC but after +1 ST, +1 CO looking to go Magic Initate (Cleric or Druid) at 6, Spell Sniper at 8, and Warcaster at 12 to make options for bonus action cantrips or concentration spells like bless. If we go to more levels than +2 ST and +2 CO of course are options.

Advice, ideas, suggestions? No total over hauls please.

Sir cryosin
2017-09-09, 08:46 AM

Chainmail, BA, and Sh

ST 17 (15+2)
DE 10
CO 17 (15+2)
IN 8
WI 14
CH 8

Not looking to MC but after +1 ST, +1 CO looking to go Magic Initate (Cleric or Druid) at 6, Spell Sniper at 8, and Warcaster at 12 to make options for bonus action cantrips or concentration spells like bless. If we go to more levels than +2 ST and +2 CO of course are options.

What are you trying to make?

ZorroGames
2017-09-09, 09:03 AM
What are you trying to make?

A Mountain Dwarf Fighter with WI based lowel level (including concentration, like bless,) spells to aid party, emergency band-aid level (self) healing, and bonus action option possibilities.

Trying to make Wisdom more than just a number but wanted to make sure dropping IN and CH to 8 was a viable build choice.

Sir cryosin
2017-09-09, 09:13 AM
If your going fighter and want a wisdom based. Why spell sniper, war caster, and what are you picking for MI.

PeteNutButter
2017-09-09, 09:27 AM

Chainmail, BA, and Sh

ST 17 (15+2)
DE 10
CO 17 (15+2)
IN 8
WI 14
CH 8

Totally read the title as "Mountain Dew Fighter." Looks like the most optimized character you've built to date! :smallbiggrin:

I'd not MC until at least fighter 5, so you can get extra attack. Druid might take away your ability to wear heavy armor, so take cleric. It's a better MC class anyways. Something like fighter 5/cleric x can do nicely.

You do the dew.

smcmike
2017-09-09, 09:51 AM
Three feats sounds like a heavy investment without much payoff to me. One first level spell and one blah cantrip?

ZorroGames
2017-09-09, 03:18 PM
Totally read the title as "Mountain Dew Fighter." Looks like the most optimized character you've built to date! :smallbiggrin:

I'd not MC until at least fighter 5, so you can get extra attack. Druid might take away your ability to wear heavy armor, so take cleric. It's a better MC class anyways. Something like fighter 5/cleric x can do nicely.

You do the dew.

🙃

Oh My. I just saw that "mountain dew" moment. I have to find a way to work that into the backstory.

Optimization by osmosis?

ZorroGames
2017-09-09, 03:42 PM
Three feats sounds like a heavy investment without much payoff to me. One first level spell and one blah cantrip?

Uh, no...

Let me spell it out for you.

M. I. Gives you two cantrips and a first level spell from any one caster class. Let's just pick Cleric since my CH and IN are 8's unless I shuffle some build points though any class is available:

Utility candidates are Guidance, mending and resistance. And Thaumaturgy which has RP potential too. Sacred flame is some ranged damage but let's hold off on that right now. Spare the dying is "other character first aid of last choice" but better than a character dying.

First level spells to choose one from might be Bane, Bless, Command, Cure Wounds, Guiding Bolt, Healing Word, Inflict Wounds, Sanctuary, or Shield of Faith. Some very useful spells there on a continuing basis.

Now Spell Sniper - Doubled Range, ignore half and 3/4 cover, requires an attack roll cantrip from any class. Pretty much would be any class possibility but let's look at the obvious Cleric/Druis choices first: sacred Flame is out, Druid: Poison Spray is also not applicable, Shillelagh might qualify, as might Thorn Whip. Not sure if Bard's Vicious Mockery qualifies, Ditto Sorceror's Acud Splash, but yes to chill Touch, Fire Bolt, Ray of Frost, and Shocking Grasp. I will let you check the Warlock and Wizard cantrips but there will something in those two classes. You just need one from any class mentioned to get the other benefits.

WarCaster. Well if I use a concentration based spell that advantage roll can't hurt, the whole somatic casting is covered while holding weapon(s) and/or shield which would be helpful, and the reaction spell might be useful if the weapons are not hitting/damaging as desired (immunity or resistance.)

Try again.

smcmike
2017-09-09, 04:18 PM
Uh, no...

....Try again.

No, I think I had it about right.

Let me spell it out for you.

M. I. Gives you two cantrips and a first level spell from any one caster class. Let's just pick Cleric since my CH and IN are 8's unless I shuffle some build points though any class is available:

Utility candidates are Guidance, mending and resistance. And Thaumaturgy which has RP potential too. Sacred flame is some ranged damage but let's hold off on that right now. Spare the dying is "other character first aid of last choice" but better than a character dying.

First level spells to choose one from might be Bane, Bless, Command, Cure Wounds, Guiding Bolt, Healing Word, Inflict Wounds, Sanctuary, or Shield of Faith. Some very useful spells there on a continuing basis.

MI does give you access to a nice list of spells. Ultimately, though, you have to pick one first level spell, and you only get to cast it once per day. That is ok, but not exciting. I'd pick Shield of Faith, for what it's worth. Also, I admit I didn't mention the utility cantrips. Guidance is nice if no one else in the party can cast it. Overall, MI is an ok choice for a bit of expanded utility.

Now Spell Sniper - Doubled Range, ignore half and 3/4 cover, requires an attack roll cantrip from any class. Pretty much would be any class possibility but let's look at the obvious Cleric/Druis choices first: sacred Flame is out, Druid: Poison Spray is also not applicable, Shillelagh might qualify, as might Thorn Whip. Not sure if Bard's Vicious Mockery qualifies, Ditto Sorceror's Acud Splash, but yes to chill Touch, Fire Bolt, Ray of Frost, and Shocking Grasp. I will let you check the Warlock and Wizard cantrips but there will something in those two classes. You just need one from any class mentioned to get the other benefits.

Spell Sniper, on the other hand, is a waste on this build. You have 8 in intelligence and charisma. That means any Wizard, Sorcerer, or Warlock cantrip you pick uses a -1 ability modifier to hit, and is a trash attack.

So, you are stuck with Druid and Cleric cantrips. Cleric doesn't have any qualifying spells (in the PHB, at least). Druid has Produce Flame and Thorn Whip. Produce Flame is a blah cantrip, and only has 60' range even with spell sniper. You'd be better off just taking Sacred Flame with Magic Initiate. Thorn Whip is a more interesting possibility, and you could make a case that it's worth it for battlefield manipulation. Maybe.

WarCaster. Well if I use a concentration based spell that advantage roll can't hurt, the whole somatic casting is covered while holding weapon(s) and shield which would be helpful, and the reaction spell might be useful if the weapons are not hitting/damaging as desired (immunity or resistance.)

Warcaster is a good choice if you are building an EK. Otherwise it's hard to justify, given that you only have one first level spell per day with this build, which may or may not be a concentration spell.

Arkhios
2017-09-09, 10:06 PM
Int 8 and Cha 8 is perfectly viable choice. Int and Cha saves are exceedingly rare (although Cha saves are a bit more common) so I wouldn't sweat about them being low.

Neither cleric nor fighter needs intelligence, and the character is a dwarf so low charisma fits the trope.

Also, I'm pretty sure Durkon Thundershield has a negative intelligence modifier :p

Rebonack
2017-09-09, 10:36 PM
What are the other party members of your Mountain Dew Fighter?

djreynolds
2017-09-10, 01:57 AM
I would grab arcana cleric, get 2 wizard cantrips and access to 1st level spells of cleric and throw in detect magic as a domain spell

It is the easiest way to go, as long as it jives with your background.

Now you have booming blade, protection from evil that lasts for 10 minutes and guidance and bless

Sacred flame is now your ranged attack and can be used in melee since it is a save or suck spell

Then grab resilient wisdom

Thorn whip is an awesome cantrip, there is no save attached. You could grab a level of nature cleric.

But arcana cleric gives some wizard spells that use your wisdom modifier

I know you said no multiclass, but a level of arcana or nature cleric could provide huge boons