PDA

View Full Version : Denying dex bonus to AC at range

nerulean
2007-08-12, 05:04 PM
A friend is looking at playing a ranged rogue in an effectively no-magic setting and so, as the title implies, I'm looking for all the non-magical ways he can deny his opponents their dex bonus to AC when he isn't in melee with them in order to get some sneak attacking goodness in. I am not a player of rogues, so any help is much appreciated!

ETA: Pretty much any 3.5 WotC material is in, provided there's no magic involved.

Spiryt
2007-08-12, 05:09 PM
Well, shadowdancer PrC gives Hide in a plain sight on 1st level.

So shoot, and then hide again ( Multishot will be helpfull).

Nu
2007-08-12, 05:21 PM
A friend is looking at playing a ranged rogue in an effectively no-magic setting and so, as the title implies, I'm looking for all the non-magical ways he can deny his opponents their dex bonus to AC when he isn't in melee with them in order to get some sneak attacking goodness in. I am not a player of rogues, so any help is much appreciated!

Deadeye Shot is a feat from PHB2 that lets you ready a shot to attack someone when an ally hits them, and denies them their DEX bonus to AC for that shot. That could work, requires Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, BAB+4 and Sneak Attack or Skirmish(though if he's a ranged rogue he should have all of those by level 6 or so anyway).

Kyace
2007-08-12, 05:35 PM
Well, you could use Drow poisoned arrows. 75 gp per dose, DC 13 or unconsciousness.

At higher level, Improved Precise Shot lets you better shot grappling targets whom are denied dex bonus to AC against nongrapplers.

Nice find Nu.

Mad Wizard
2007-08-12, 05:43 PM
If he is willing to use thrown weapons, the Master Thrower PrC can make a sleight of hand check opposed by their spot to deny them their dex bonus on a thrown weapon attack.

arkol
2007-08-12, 06:10 PM
Simplest way ever: Take improved Initiative and go first :P

For added bonus use two hand crossbows and TWF.

Win initiative and shot'em both.

NullAshton
2007-08-12, 06:19 PM
It seems like any sort of cover will let you make a hide check even while 'observed'. I suppose that you could quickly dart behind a log or fallen pillar to hide and get out of sight.

This means that rogues can almost always use an action to hide in a forest or ruins.

Dr. Weasel
2007-08-12, 06:53 PM
Nu's idea gets even better if you combine it with the feat from Heroes of Battle which gives a bonus 3d6 damage on readied bow attacks. I don't have the book with me, but I believe the feat has relatively low prerequisites.

Rachel Lorelei
2007-08-12, 06:55 PM
Tome of Battle has a feat that lets you make an intimidate check against an opponent as a standard (or full-round?) action--and if you succeed, they count as flanked for one minute. Normally you can't flank someone with a bow, but this makes them count as flanked regardless of what you're doing, so you can sneak-attack away with a bow.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-08-12, 07:01 PM
Neraph Throw from Planar Handbook allows you to automatically render each opponent flatfooted for one attack with a thrown weapon each encounter.

The Neraph race gets this feature free, and are also able to do it with charges: they're the best Rogue Race ever btw;
They get that feature for free, +2 to Natural Armor, +2 to Search and Spot, get free Martial Weapon Proficiency, and a +5 to Jump; all for LA 0.

nerulean
2007-08-12, 07:28 PM
You guys are all awesome, thanks very much!

Kyace
2007-08-12, 08:09 PM
Nu's idea gets even better if you combine it with the feat from Heroes of Battle which gives a bonus 3d6 damage on readied bow attacks. I don't have the book with me, but I believe the feat has relatively low prerequisites.

Close, the feat "Ready Shot" lets you add the damage on readied bow attacks against those charging you. You are right about the prerequisites, it only requires Point Blank Shot.