PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Archer, multiple shots that hit hard, 5e.

Richard369
2017-09-09, 07:19 PM
Hey all,

Been cruising through the forums and I'm just wondering if anyone has a quick build available for an archer focused character. I was looking at multiclass and arcane archer variants and I'm just wondering what the best would be, there doesn't seem to be a consensus or any hard decisions. Magic doesn't need to be a focus, the focus is on an optimized archer.

Any and all help is much appreciated, thank you!

mephnick
2017-09-09, 07:21 PM
Honestly the UA Arcane Archer with Sharpshooter is all the optimizing you need. The magic arrows and fighting style basically counteract any aim penalty. Plus, some of the arcane shots are quite strong.

Eko
2017-09-09, 07:29 PM
Battlemaster, take sharpshooter. Little else you need! Consider dipping 3 in Ranger for that extra d8 and hunters mark, you can also dip warlock for hex

Talionis
2017-09-09, 08:01 PM
Lots of Options:

Hunter Ranger
Valor Bard 10 get the best Ranger Spells
Dex Fighter Archer Battle Master
Paladin, Devotion or Vengence both have great ways to increase accuracy and use Shar shooter and the Smite Spells some work for ranged attacks. Hunters Mark and Haste are both great archer spells on Vengence spell list.
Rogue is an excellent archer as well.

Sneak Attack or Extra Attack work well.

Easy_Lee
2017-09-09, 08:21 PM
Sounds like you want a fairly standard battlemaster archer. Here's one way to build:

VHuman Fighter BM 6 / Chain or Tome Warlock 3
Crossbow Expert at 1, Sharpshooter at 4, +Dex at Figher 6
Precision Attack, your choice of other maneuvers
Hex + Devil's Sight, your choice of other spells and maneuvers

You make three attacks per round with crossbow expert and extra attack. Darkness + Devil's Sight at range gives you advantage and makes it difficult for enemies to retaliate. With advantage on your attacks, you can afford to use Sharpshooter every attack for +10 damage if you hit. Precision Attack helps you further guarantee your attacks. Hex gives you an additional 3D6 damage per round if all attacks are against the same target. The warlock levels and tome or chain pact + a patron give you additional capabilities for out of combat utility.

Rebonack
2017-09-09, 09:07 PM
If all you're looking to do is hit things with arrows, then Arcane Archer with the Sharpshooter feat is really all you need. Primary Dex, secondary Int, tertiary Con. The +3 ToHit from fighting style and Arcane Archer means you still have a great chance to hit even when using Overdraw attacks. The ability to make a missed arrow home in on someone else is nice, too.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-09-09, 09:09 PM
I'm currently thinking about building an archer for a oneshot myself and i've come up with some options.

Sharpshooter fighter (the subclass)
Arcane Archer
Battlemaster Archer
Kensei Monk
Hexblade (with bow pact weapon + smite. Not sure what to do about the knocked prone and ranged issue though. Adds smites)
Revised Ranger (various subclasses with decent damage)
Mystic (Nomadic Arrow discipline, no extra attack, adds smites.)
Gunsmith Alchemist (thunder cannon, no extra attack)
Rogue (almost any will do, scout is probably best for skirmishing type. Sneak attack, no extra attack)

Besides these there aren't many other ways to build a hard hitting Archer.

Chugger
2017-09-09, 09:14 PM
Sounds like you want a fairly standard battlemaster archer. Here's one way to build:

VHuman Fighter BM 6 / Chain or Tome Warlock 3
Crossbow Expert at 1, Sharpshooter at 4, +Dex at Figher 6
Precision Attack, your choice of other maneuvers
Hex + Devil's Sight, your choice of other spells and maneuvers

You make three attacks per round with crossbow expert and extra attack. Darkness + Devil's Sight at range gives you advantage and makes it difficult for enemies to retaliate. With advantage on your attacks, you can afford to use Sharpshooter every attack for +10 damage if you hit. Precision Attack helps you further guarantee your attacks. Hex gives you an additional 3D6 damage per round if all attacks are against the same target. The warlock levels and tome or chain pact + a patron give you additional capabilities for out of combat utility.

What Easy_Lee says is not bad. You'll need 13 cha to make that dip - you probably know that.

Another way to go is to go (make sure you give your char at least 13 wis) is a 2 lvl dip into war cleric.

You get a +10 to hit (after you see the dice) boost once per short rest and 2 bonus round shots per long rest, iirc. And you get to cast 3 bless.

Before you dip, you could do va Hu to get SS (or xbow exp) at lvl 1. At 4 and 6 ASI your dex to 20. That way at lvl 6 you have +5 to hit from Dex, +3 prof, +2 from Archery Style, and plus an average 2.5 from bless on 3 fights a day. Plus 4 times per short rest you get plus 4.5 from BM's precision (Precision and bless combine for +7 on average but can't be used every fight).

That is, at level 6, an average of + 17, which is not at all bad. You have + 10 every shot and have a +2 to +12 range of possible add-on to that when you can use the bless-Precision combo.

Then at lvl 8 you can do the hand xbow thing and get 3 shots (via feat crossbow expertise) - or do that earlier and up dex at 8.

Going lock gives you a chance to Misty Step out of one meleers-on-top-of-you situation once per short rest. In fact I might never cast Hex just to keep spell slots for that - you're trading 1d6 damage for mobility that means not giving them AoO if you step back to take a non-disad set of shots. In theory a BM maneuver could help you with such a situation but is not nearly as good as something like Misty Step, imo.

And of course w/ devil's sight and the ability to cast lvl 2 spells, you can hide in inky darkness while shooting out at anything on the battlefield, pretty much.

Also if you have 13 wis you can dip into Ranger for hunter's mark and at lvl 3 the hunter ability that adds, I think, a d8 to your shots as damage. Can't recall if that is once per turn or per shot.

And with Ranger you _can_ take another fighting style at Ranger lvl 2, like Defense for +1 ac (you just can't double up archery).

Chugger
2017-09-09, 09:41 PM
I forgot, Lucky Feat lets you reroll 3 misses per long rest.

If there is a bard in the party you can use one of his insp dice to possibly change a miss into a hit.

One way to look at it is this: that +10 to damage function of the SS feat is killer, but it comes at a high price, -5 to hit. If you can bend heaven and earth to mitigate that -5 to hit, the damage function becomes truly deadly. If you don't - if you don't take steps to vastly improve your chance to hit - then consistently using the -5 +10 part of SS becomes a pain. Nice when you're lucky and roll well and painful when you have a series of misses - especially the ones that just barely miss and of course would have hit had you not taken the -5.

So you can up your damage potential even more so that when you hit, you hit so hard that it makes up for the misses.

Or you can go a lower damage route and be able to hit more often - especially when you really need to hit - like when you're in an important fight and you really need to do damage now (and not miss).

(the -5 is potentially frustrating - and you can miss a LOT - I mean many times in a row - though when you hit you hit hard - what I'd do is make up several sample characters and get out your dice and roll some sample fights against typical monsters for that level. Yeah the ogre and maybe ettin are cake - very low AC - the ogre zombie really drops fast - but other giants have significant ACs - Veterans have splint mail (ac 17?) - other creatures have ACs over 15 and are a pain to hit w/ that -5. Roll it and see what I mean - look for the ups and downs in luck and imagine if that will be fun for you. If you can handle it, go for it. Against certain ACs (hard to calc - I've lost the site where we were doing this a few weeks ago, sorry) it is better to not take the -5 and just hit the thing. And that's where other damage sources can help out. But hitting in the first place is a big deal and a completely valid path for you.)

JBPuffin
2017-09-09, 09:47 PM
I have a plan for an archer of sorts...twin hand crossbows, Battlemaster Fighter VHuman for level 1 Crossbow Expert, Level 4 Sharpshooter, and fill everything with shafts. Could got BF 6/Rogue 14 for massive sneak attack alongside hail of bolts, but I don't think I'll go that route.

Tradition says that anything with Archery Fighting Style, Sharpshooter, and high Dex does the archer role justice; Fighter 1 or Ranger 2 are enough of a dip to get you the first bit, VHume gets the second, and the third is up to you to allocate, and everything else is up to you. Fighter does multiple shots very well, a Hunter Ranger can do something similar, and a Rogue gets fewer shots which deal greater damage. On top of that, you can mix and match for fine-tuning: Rogue 2/Hunter Ranger 4/Fighter 14 gets you Cunning Action, Horde Breaker, and 3 attacks with your choice of add-ons, and you can go Spell-less Ranger (my current DM allows for Revised+Spell-less, which is as fun as it sounds)+Battlemaster Fighter for a bunch of maneuvers to toss out (I'd probably go Fighter 2, Rogue 2, Ranger 4, Fighter +10).

Sicarius Victis
2017-09-09, 10:06 PM
I have a plan for an archer of sorts...twin hand crossbows, Battlemaster Fighter VHuman for level 1 Crossbow Expert, Level 4 Sharpshooter, and fill everything with shafts. Could got BF 6/Rogue 14 for massive sneak attack alongside hail of bolts, but I don't think I'll go that route.

Don't bother with dual-wielding; you only get the benefits with melee/thrown weapons - so, no crossbows - and Crossbow Expert lets you make a bonus action attack even when only wielding one hand crossbow.

Also, there wouldn't really be "massive" Sneak Attack damage, considering that no matter how many attacks you can make you can only apply Sneak Attack once each turn.

Degwerks
2017-09-09, 10:54 PM
Arcane Archer for 6 levels, Hunter Revised Ranger 4 levels, rest place in mystic nomad disciplines for ranged smites, or rogue levels or more ranger or fighter. Could also just grab lore bard for healing, buffs and swift quiver spell.

Get dex to 20 ASAP then grab Sharpshooter feat. By 10th level you'll have Archery style +2, Close Quarter Shooter style +1, Arcane Archer +1 magic arrows every time you shoot. That's +4 to hit which will offset the -5 from Sharpshooter feat. Grab a level in Cleric for Bless if you want.

sky red hunter
2017-09-10, 06:13 AM
5 levels of fighter for fighting style (archery), second wind, action surge, martial archetype (battle master) asi and extra attack.

battle master archer just peppering enemies causing them to drop weapons, knocking them prone, and even frightening them!!

3 levels of rogue for sneak +2d6 , cunning action, to escape melee attackers, and assassin archetype for assassinate.

asi could be alert, to increase chances of assassinate and also to get the battle master stuff working quickly, whats that? you dropped your weapon? your prone? your frightened? get him boys (to the melee front liners)

JBPuffin
2017-09-10, 08:33 AM
Don't bother with dual-wielding; you only get the benefits with melee/thrown weapons - so, no crossbows - and Crossbow Expert lets you make a bonus action attack even when only wielding one hand crossbow.

Also, there wouldn't really be "massive" Sneak Attack damage, considering that no matter how many attacks you can make you can only apply Sneak Attack once each turn.

Not suggesting more than one sneak attack - just that by that point, you have an extra 7d6 dice to throw at someone when you shoot them.

Also, I haven't found where it specifies "melee/thrown weapons" for Crossbow Expert (just says one-handed; you must mean TWF, which I don't plan on doing), and as I'm going full Fighter the rest of the attacks are coming from ignoring loading and Extra Attacks. It's for rule of cool and still being an archer (of sorts), not to be the 100% best archer (definitely something else).

Citan
2017-09-10, 09:29 AM
Hey all,

Been cruising through the forums and I'm just wondering if anyone has a quick build available for an archer focused character. I was looking at multiclass and arcane archer variants and I'm just wondering what the best would be, there doesn't seem to be a consensus or any hard decisions. Magic doesn't need to be a focus, the focus is on an optimized archer.

Any and all help is much appreciated, thank you!
Hi ;)

Quickest and simplest is a straight Battlemaster or Ranger (depending on whether you just want pure damage or also be versatile).

Just build your character as usual while grabbing related Fighting Style (Archery) and feats (Sharpshooter is a given, you may or not like Crossbow Expert depending on your objectives, Mage Slayer is a must to have too).

For a bit more complex builds you may consider a multiclass in...

- Trickster Cleric 3: Bless helps with your to-hit, Mirror Image helps with your defense, Pass Without Trace helps with your sneaking. Works with 13 WIS.
- Lore Bard 6-7: get more skills, Expertise in Perception and Stealth, good defensive ability (Cutting Words), grab either Haste or Elemental Weapon, along with classic Bard goodies (Faerie Fire, Healing Words, Invisibility, Silence, Enhance Ability, possibly Greater Invisibility). Works with low or high CHA.
- Rogue 2-3-5-7 (Thief): Cunning Action is always a good one to have, and you may want Thief's ability to use objects as a bonus action, or go up to Uncanny Dodge or even Evasion.
- Warlock 3: Hex and Mirror Image, plus potential Darkness + Devil's Sight combo. Works with low CHA.
- Battlemaster 3 (if you make a Ranger): not the greatest honestly, but do bring nice goodies.
- Hunter Ranger 3 (if you make a Fighter): Horde Breaker is easy to pull off with ranged attacks, plus another fighting style and a few interesting spells.
- Draconic Sorcerer 1: a few cantrips, "permanent Mage Armor", Shield spell.
- Bladesinger Wizard (if you have high INT and want to use a hand crossbow only): Shield, better AC, better move, better concentration, plus a few useful rituals (Alarm, Comprehend Languages, etc) and buffs (Expeditious Retreat, Jump), along with better spells if you dual class (Magic Weapon, Haste, Greater Invisibility).

Ranger can be a great chassis if you want to make a gish, you can either go up to Volley because you expect to be able to group enemies often (so 3+ in a single action), maybe with friendlies' help... Or opt out as soon as you got to level 5 (Extra Attack) or 7 (Escape The Horde with Crossbow Expert, or Steel Will). Either way, you get some built-in utility for adventure and social encounters as well as fighting tools.

If you prefer reliable sustained damage, aiming towards Fighter 11 is the best way. It makes multiclassing much more costly though. ;)
If you grab Fighter and go Battlemaster, then consider dipping for martial features (Rogue, Ranger) or low-expense features that are still great (like Warlock's spells which recharge on short-rest). If you instead go Eldricht Knight, taking multiple dips in casters or just a dual-class will be worth it, since spell slots combine.

Hope this post will help you give birth so something you like. ;)

Sicarius Victis
2017-09-10, 01:50 PM
Also, I haven't found where it specifies "melee/thrown weapons" for Crossbow Expert (just says one-handed; you must mean TWF, which I don't plan on doing), and as I'm going full Fighter the rest of the attacks are coming from ignoring loading and Extra Attacks. It's for rule of cool and still being an archer (of sorts), not to be the 100% best archer (definitely something else).

Correct, that was referring to the fact that you mentioned dual-wielding hand crossbows. Dual-wielding weapons only gives benefits when using melee/thrown weapons, and with Crossbow Expert you don't need to dual-wield to get a bonus action attack; a single hand crossbow is all you need for it.

Degwerks
2017-09-10, 05:42 PM
Correct, that was referring to the fact that you mentioned dual-wielding hand crossbows. Dual-wielding weapons only gives benefits when using melee/thrown weapons, and with Crossbow Expert you don't need to dual-wield to get a bonus action attack; a single hand crossbow is all you need for it.

Out of curiosity, do you still get to add Dex to that 2nd hand crossbow you're wielding on damage rolls?

smcmike
2017-09-10, 05:58 PM
Out of curiosity, do you still get to add Dex to that 2nd hand crossbow you're wielding on damage rolls?

How many times must this be said? You only need 1 hand crossbow to use the crossbow expert bonus attack.

Since you aren't using Two Weapon Fighting, the attack is normal, with normal damage rolls.

Talionis
2017-09-10, 11:08 PM
How many times must this be said? You only need 1 hand crossbow to use the crossbow expert bonus attack.

Since you aren't using Two Weapon Fighting, the attack is normal, with normal damage rolls.

I think you can use a shield and handcrossbow if you have crossbow expert feat

8wGremlin
2017-09-10, 11:27 PM
Currently playing revised ranger: dark stalker/fighter: eldritch knight. Currently 10 level. 4/6

Crossbow master, sharp shooter, and familiar
Racial enemy: humanoids.

I get a lot of damage.
1d6+3 (Dex) + 1 (magic weapon) + 10 ( sharp shooter) + 2 (if humanoid)

To hit +3 (Dex) + 4 (proficiency) + 1 (magic weapon) +2 (fighting style) -5 (sharp shooter)

With advantage on going first, or familiar helping.

Good chance to hit. And I get 2 normal attacks, 1 bonus action attack (crossbow master) + 1 dark stalker attack

With action surge as well.

Citan
2017-09-11, 07:06 AM
I think you can use a shield and handcrossbow if you have crossbow expert feat
Unfortunately not, WoTC precised (in errata of tweet, don't remember) that you still need a free hand for the reloading.

JBPuffin
2017-09-11, 07:11 AM
Unfortunately not, WoTC precised (in errata of tweet, don't remember) that you still need a free hand for the reloading.

It's in the errata. On the other hand, drawing a weapon is part of the attack action, so...there are ways around this. "The C Team" had a guy with a bunch of preloaded hand crossbows like flintlock pistols, pulling out one after another after another and dropping each one after a single shot.

Citan
2017-09-12, 06:11 AM
It's in the errata. On the other hand, drawing a weapon is part of the attack action, so...there are ways around this. "The C Team" had a guy with a bunch of preloaded hand crossbows like flintlock pistols, pulling out one after another after another and dropping each one after a single shot.
Unfortunately, the "draw weapon as part of the attack action" is aimed towards using the free interaction given each turn in a seamless manner. UNLESS it's me that is mistaken, and drawing a weapon you use to attack never counts as using the free interaction.

In which case... OMG, so many possibilities!