PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The Warlock Rework

Westhart
2017-09-09, 09:07 PM
Here it is, although if anyone could help me with the archaic heritage's last ability that would be great as I am stumped XD.
As always please PEACH
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TQErJ32h6VGCfwA3GB_LZ4seEQP6g8O461tbnDhHItQ/edit?usp=sharing

Westhart
2017-09-11, 10:21 AM
Alright, besides 1 ability (cursed archaic heritage's last) it's done. PEACH please.

Edit: I could also use an animal list to help out for the Fae Warlock's Ally ability... not sure if they should get druid or wizard list...

aimlessPolymath
2017-09-11, 12:30 PM
Doing a quick PEACH, with quick notes
Skill list missing

Eldritch Blast range looks funny- a hybrid between the normal range and the Close spell range extension? Suggest 50 ft + 5 ft/level, halfway between Close and Medium range.
Explicit EB scaling missing.
Bonus invocations table feels funny. A nat 18 is enough for a second bonus least invocation, which is achievable at level 1, out of line with normal scaling, least and greater invocations advance at the same Cha levels, etc.

New chassis stuff:
Detect Alignment is neat, but odd for something I normally associate with paladins.
Blood Stained naming is strange- holy word doesn't work, even if you're an evil warlock with demonic ancestry who's also fiendish?
Eldritch Surge feels too chaotic for too little payoff, at least to me- opinions may vary on this.
Eldrich Empowerments- Eldritch Quickening just feels like Quicken Spell-like Ability/Sudden Quicken on the original warlock. The rest look fine; suggest a limited-use CL/DC bonus to replace it?
Force of Personality/Unearthy Grace: These are both big buffs to survivability. FoP in particular is a huge amount of HP.

Heritages TBD, will be comparing levelwise.
L1:
Fiends get See in Darkness and decent defenses- protection from X is useful throughout the game. B.
Celestials have a decent defensive buffs too, as well as some niche immunities. B.
Draconics have a single energy immunity and a breath weapon, trading the defenses of fiends/celestials for AoE. Sadly, it's incredibly useless at level 1, dealing piddling damage and exposing you to risk due to lack of range- add Charisma to the damage? C, upgraded to B- if Cha is added to damage.
Fey have an absurdly good benefit- animal companions are great! Natural affinity + wild empathy gives niche advantages against some foes, as well as the ability to recruit allies if needed. A+.
Archaic: Very important: Needs an off switch for Deteriorating Aura. Naturally Psionic is a poor ability at this level, since it will take feat builds to use, and most of the benefit of psionic feats relates to being psionically focused, so there's not much advantage over that one feat that gives 1pp. D-

Westhart
2017-09-11, 01:27 PM
Doing a quick PEACH, with quick notes
Skill list missing

fixed

Eldritch Blast range looks funny- a hybrid between the normal range and the Close spell range extension? Suggest 50 ft + 5 ft/level, halfway between Close and Medium range.
Explicit EB scaling missing.

Added

Bonus invocations table feels funny. A nat 18 is enough for a second bonus least invocation, which is achievable at level 1, out of line with normal scaling, least and greater invocations advance at the same Cha levels, etc.

i was unsure what to honestly do for this, as my firend told me i should add it... apparently one of the bad things of the warlock is the fact that they do not get enough invocations...

New chassis stuff:
Detect Alignment is neat, but odd for something I normally associate with paladins.

Hmm, justified it as the whole bloodline thing... although now that you mention it it does seem a tad out of place...

Blood Stained naming is strange- holy word doesn't work, even if you're an evil warlock with demonic ancestry who's also fiendish?

made it a specific alignment descriptor depending on heritage.

Eldritch Surge feels too chaotic for too little payoff, at least to me- opinions may vary on this.

Made the 10% 5% instead... is that better?

Eldrich Empowerments- Eldritch Quickening just feels like Quicken Spell-like Ability/Sudden Quicken on the original warlock. The rest look fine; suggest a limited-use CL/DC bonus to replace it?

Yeah, quickening was a better version of the feats. Replacingit is a good idea, but I have no idea what I would call it XD

Force of Personality/Unearthy Grace: These are both big buffs to survivability. FoP in particular is a huge amount of HP.

Yeah, first draft gave them an ability to apply to attack/damage as well XD

Heritages TBD, will be comparing levelwise.
L1:
Fiends get See in Darkness and decent defenses- protection from X is useful throughout the game. B.
Celestials have a decent defensive buffs too, as well as some niche immunities. B.
Draconics have a single energy immunity and a breath weapon, trading the defenses of fiends/celestials for AoE. Sadly, it's incredibly useless at level 1, dealing piddling damage and exposing you to risk due to lack of range- add Charisma to the damage? C, upgraded to B- if Cha is added to damage.

changed some up.

Fey have an absurdly good benefit- animal companions are great! Natural affinity + wild empathy gives niche advantages against some foes, as well as the ability to recruit allies if needed. A+.

Is it too obvious which I would play? hehe

Archaic: Very important: Needs an off switch for Deteriorating Aura. Naturally Psionic is a poor ability at this level, since it will take feat builds to use, and most of the benefit of psionic feats relates to being psionically focused, so there's not much advantage over that one feat that gives 1pp. D-
Yeah, I was running out of ideas for the archaic XD Added.