PDA

View Full Version : i want a character that can...

Cowboy_ninja
2007-08-12, 05:41 PM
I want a character with natural AC and DR. any ideas? a tank type. preferably minimum armor. i'd like HIM to be tough not his items ya know? its also a low lvl dungeon.

thanks in advance for the help.

PS the character is already human

Whiplord
2007-08-12, 06:07 PM
You're gonna have trouble doing that with using a level adjusted, or some sort of monstrous race.

I myself know of no options to achieve this, at least at a low level. Some others may though.

Volug
2007-08-12, 06:14 PM
can always add a lycanthrope template to him

Reinboom
2007-08-12, 06:23 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e
mineral warrior template (scroll down)
+3 Natural Armor
DR 8/Adamantine

+1 LA

(Can be applied to human)

JackMage666
2007-08-12, 06:42 PM
If you really want to beg, Feral template in Savage Species

Don't kill me, he asked!

UserClone
2007-08-12, 07:00 PM
Well, IIRC, the Half-Minotaur template from Dragon #313 gives you Nat.AC, and with Feral from Savage Species you could get Fast healing, which is similar to, and in some ways better than DR.

Gralamin
2007-08-12, 07:13 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e
mineral warrior template (scroll down)
+3 Natural Armor
DR 8/Adamantine

+1 LA

(Can be applied to human)

If you really want to beg, Feral template in Savage Species

Don't kill me, he asked!

These are the two best options. Combine them for good results (ECL 2)
More or less, you get pounce, improved grab, rake, and rend, Fast Healing 2, DR 8/Adamantine, +9 NA, 40ft land speed, 20ft burrow speed, Claw attacks, darkvision, +6 Strength, -2 Dex, +6 Con, -6 Int (minimum 1), -2 Cha.

A tank you would be.

Reinboom
2007-08-12, 07:20 PM
Lets not forget his free feat, his +1 skill point per level (4 at 1st), and his highest level favored class. :smallwink:
(and that is so going onto my next character...)

Bagera
2007-08-12, 07:26 PM
You could make a warforged character with the adamantine body feat. not quite natural armor, but intrinsic.

Reinboom
2007-08-12, 07:34 PM
You could make a warforged character with the adamantine body feat. not quite natural armor, but intrinsic.

The original poster already mentioned that the character was a human.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-08-12, 07:51 PM
Half-Celestials and Half-Fiends, as I recall, get both and several other spiffy powers (Flight, Spell-Likes, etc). However, that's a +4 Level Adjustment.

Kyace
2007-08-12, 09:20 PM
These are the two best options. Combine them for good results (ECL 2)
More or less, you get pounce, improved grab, rake, and rend, Fast Healing 2, DR 8/Adamantine, +9 NA, 40ft land speed, 20ft burrow speed, Claw attacks, darkvision, +6 Strength, -2 Dex, +6 Con, -6 Int (minimum 1), -2 Cha.

A tank you would be.

Wait, can you actually play a char with less than 3 int?

Knight_Of_Twilight
2007-08-12, 09:51 PM
Wait, can you actually play a char with less than 3 int?

Sure, he's just barely smarter then an animal, and can't speak.

UserClone
2007-08-12, 09:57 PM
You do realize he only gets improved grab, DV 60' and fast healing 2 from Feral, right? He only gets those other abilities based on his monster hit dice. Reread p. 116, right above the table in the paragraph called Special Attacks.

Zincorium
2007-08-12, 10:14 PM
You do realize he only gets improved grab, DV 60' and fast healing 2 from Feral, right? He only gets those other abilities based on his monster hit dice. Reread p. 116, right above the table in the paragraph called Special Attacks.

Correct. But fast healing 2 and improved grab are still more than worth the +1 LA.

And with imp. natural weapon, your claws do as much damage as a greatsword.

Aximili
2007-08-12, 10:21 PM
Sure, he's just barely smarter then an animal, and can't speak.
I don't have a PHB with me, but I believe it states that no creature of an intelligent race can have less than 3 INT score. And even if it doesn't, at INT 2 or 1 you've reached animal intelligence (not barely smarter, but exactly as smart), and it's gonna be hard to explain how a creature of animal intelligence managed to gain class levels..

UserClone
2007-08-12, 10:32 PM
Correct. But fast healing 2 and improved grab are still more than worth the +1 LA.

And with imp. natural weapon, your claws do as much damage as a greatsword.

Yes. In fact, Feral is one of my absolute favorite ever templates. What I was pointing out is the host of Special Abilities that Gralamin claimed his human would gain, when he in fact would not. I am suprised not to have heard about someone having "fixed" Feral by now, as it is clearly worth a +2.

Gralamin
2007-08-12, 10:38 PM
Yes. In fact, Feral is one of my absolute favorite ever templates. What I was pointing out is the host of Special Abilities that Gralamin claimed his human would gain, when he in fact would not. I am suprised not to have heard about someone having "fixed" Feral by now, as it is clearly worth a +2.

Augh. I forgot to read that. Note to self: Read all of it next time.
But yes He is right.

Squee_nabob
2007-08-13, 10:24 PM
Look into the half iron golem template in MM2, it's a +3 ajustment, but gives 15/adamantite DR, and (i think +10 Natural armor, might be +12) plus some stat ajustments. The downside is you'll be dumb. really dumb. and not charismatic.

Jack Mann
2007-08-13, 10:36 PM
Look into the half iron golem template in MM2, it's a +3 ajustment, but gives 15/adamantite DR, and (i think +10 Natural armor, might be +12) plus some stat ajustments. The downside is you'll be dumb. really dumb. and not charismatic.

No, it's an LA: -- template. You can't take it as a player unless your DM is a moron. The CR is +3.

Seriously, half-golem just doesn't work for player characters. This was especially true in 3.0, since their immunity to magic carried over to all spells and magical effects, not just those that allow SR.

UserClone
2007-08-13, 11:05 PM
Yeah, as a DM, I would have to Rule Half-Iron golem to be about a LA +a jillion.

Xuincherguixe
2007-08-13, 11:40 PM
To the best of my knowledge, it's also not possible to be reduced below 3 intelligence? Well maybe with ability drain/damage.