PDA

View Full Version : Core conjurer build advice.

NecroDancer
2017-09-10, 12:25 PM
So I'm tinkering around with my first wizard build. I was considering making him a conjurer due to the versatility of the conjuration spells. I tend to build most of my characters around level 7 and only using resources from the PHB for simplicity and because I don't know what a DM might allow.

So here is my build

Stats
Strength: 10
Dexterity: 13
Constitution: 14
Intelligence: 15
Wisdom: 8
Charisma: 10

Class: Wizard (Conjurer)
Level: 7
Race: Half-Orc
Alignment: True Neutral
Base Attack Bonus: +3
Reflex: +2
Fortitude: +2
Will: +5
Hit Points: 30
Hit Dice: 7d4
Armor Class: 12 (16 with Mage Armor)

Skills
Concentration: 10
Spell Craft: 10
Knowledge (Planes): 10
Use Magic Device: 7
Diplomacy: 5
Speak Language: Celestial, Infernal

Feats
1. Spell Focus: Conjuration
2. Augmented Summons
6. Extend Spell
Wizard Bonus Feat: Spell Penetration

My barred schools are evocation and enchantment

Spells known (not including Cantrips)
Mage Armor
Shield
Summon Monster 1
Grease
Fox's Cunning
Web
Summon Monster 2
Mirror Image
Fly
Summon Monster 3
Slow
Stinking Cloud
Conjure Monster 4
Evard's Black Tentacles

Eldariel
2017-09-10, 12:57 PM
Well, as you probably know, Half-Orc is an awful race for a Wizard; all the gains you have offer you nothing and you get a penalty to your main casting stat. You're probably doing this intentionally, but as you mentioned nothing about it, I'd still wish to point it out. In Core, the best Wizard-races are probably:

Gray Elf [Monster Manual]
Human
Gnome
Dwarf
Halfling

in probably that order. Gray Elf has a bonus to casting stat, Human has the bonus feat (which Wizards actually get something out of), Gnome has some nice utility with the save DC bonuses and a bonus to a key secondary stat alongside the Hide-bonuses and good stuff of Small Size (though with the penalty of 20' move speed), Dwarf has the same bonus and huge generic benefits like +2 to saves vs. spells (but no small size and still 20' move speed), Halfling has bonus to Dex and small size (but little else). You can roll with the Half-Orc certainly though, but I'd at least put some effort into being martialish...though Polymorph kinda negates the benefit.

Either way, you want as high an Int as possible with high Dex and Con too. Point buy/point generation system affects this of course. Generally I'd prefer Dex over Con though if you plan to make heavy use of Polymorph and eventually get Polymorph Any Objected into a form permanently (bought earlier or selfcast later) then Con over Dex makes sense.

Feats seem fine though I wouldn't bother with Spell Mastery this early, and you need to take Spell Focus: Conjuration to qualify for Augment Summoning. Spell Penetration and Greater are pretty key since you have no other means of overcoming SR and SR: Yes spells are good enough to be worth using occasionally even on enemies with SR. This makes them reliable. Also, Craft-feats are great in Core and obviously once you can, pick up Improved Familiar [DMG] for Pseudodragon, Imp or Quasit (those are all awesome, particularly the evil options). Oh, and higher up definitely get Quicken Spell.

Buy scribed spells. You can get a lot more than just the level-ups; also other equipment helps. Also, Acid Arrow is really quite bad. Instead, you're missing 2 of the most important level 2 Conjurations in Glitterdust and Web. Both of those are encounter enders and absolutely incredible spells. Multitarget save-or-lose effects with added benefit (Web screws enemies over even on a successful save, Glitterdust reveals invis).

Oh, and it'd definitely be useful to know a wider variety of level 1 spells. Ray of Enfeeblement is awesome and scales well, Enlarge Person is one of the best buffs in the game, Silent Image is an allstar at doing everything including onesided concealment and shutting down many mindless enemies entirely and Color Spray is great vs. low HD enemies. Also, your level 3 slots should have Haste; any summoner should be prepared with mass buffs for their summons and allies too.

NecroDancer
2017-09-10, 01:10 PM
Well, as you probably know, Half-Orc is an awful race for a Wizard; all the gains you have offer you nothing and you get a penalty to your main casting stat. You're probably doing this intentionally, but as you mentioned nothing about it, I'd still wish to point it out. In Core, the best Wizard-races are probably:

Gray Elf [Monster Manual]
Human
Gnome
Dwarf
Halfling

in probably that order. Gray Elf has a bonus to casting stat, Human has the bonus feat (which Wizards actually get something out of), Gnome has some nice utility with the save DC bonuses and a bonus to a key secondary stat alongside the Hide-bonuses and good stuff of Small Size (though with the penalty of 20' move speed), Dwarf has the same bonus and huge generic benefits like +2 to saves vs. spells (but no small size and still 20' move speed), Halfling has bonus to Dex and small size (but little else). You can roll with the Half-Orc certainly though, but I'd at least put some effort into being martialish...though Polymorph kinda negates the benefit.

Feats seem fine though I wouldn't bother with Spell Mastery this early, and you need to take Spell Focus: Conjuration to qualify for Augment Summoning. Spell Penetration and Greater are pretty key since you have no other means of overcoming SR and SR: Yes spells are good enough to be worth using occasionally even on enemies with SR. This makes them reliable. Also, Craft-feats are great in Core and obviously once you can, pick up Improved Familiar [DMG] for Pseudodragon, Imp or Quasit (those are all awesome, particularly the evil options). Oh, and higher up definitely get Quicken Spell.

Buy scribed spells. You can get a lot more than just the level-ups; also other equipment helps. Also, Acid Arrow is really quite bad. Instead, you're missing 2 of the most important level 2 Conjurations in Glitterdust and Web. Both of those are encounter enders and absolutely incredible spells. Multitarget save-or-lose effects with added benefit (Web screws enemies over even on a successful save, Glitterdust reveals invis).

Good advice, I was a bit unsure about spell penetration since I'll be mainly swarming enemies with minions. Should I take crafting feats over metamagic feats? i know quicken is good metamagic but is it worth to pick up sculpt spell instead to avoid killing my party with cloudkill?

Eldariel
2017-09-10, 01:48 PM
Good advice, I was a bit unsure about spell penetration since I'll be mainly swarming enemies with minions. Should I take crafting feats over metamagic feats? i know quicken is good metamagic but is it worth to pick up sculpt spell instead to avoid killing my party with cloudkill?

Sculpt isn't core. Spell Pen is near must-have in Core but quickly loses importance otherwise due to Assay Resistance, True Casting and their ilk. In Core the only MM I get is Extend and Quicken, and Extend Rods should be considered over taking the feat. On high levels there's a lot of utility to be had with the feat though. Occasionally I get Empower to increase the HP I get out of False Life but that's higher level stuff; and for Summons, you want to always use the highest level spell available so you need Empower Rods for that to make sense. Quicken is 9-12+ only and on 9, you need some really good level 1 spell for your plan for it to be worth it (Divine Favor for melee Clerics, True Strike for charge Wizards, perhaps Grease for control Wizards).

Crafts are great, Wondrous Items at least worth having if at all possible. Over...whatever, getting half off most of your trinkets like +Int, Caster Level Bonuses, stat bonuses, and general utility is sweet. Craft Rods is also great utility, as seen here. Can essentially replicate many metamagic feats due to metamagic rods, even better than the original. Magic Arms & Armor for combat types who wish to equip themselves (Druids, Clerics, Gishes; Druids in particular due to Wild enhancement being so good and hard to come by otherwise).

Mostly, your feats come down to your build but a Core build should probably include at least Quicken (on 9 or 12), Spell Penetration & Greater, Improved Familiar, Craft Wondrous Items and stuff to enter PRCs (Loremaster and Archmage are both Core and significant improvements over the basic Wizard - both pay back what you pay to enter them).