PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Potential Class Feature Question: speak with plants/animals

Ranged Ranger
2017-09-10, 12:39 PM
I know Complete Champion has a ranger ACF for Speak with Animals or Speak with Plants 3/day... Would it be game breaking to give a class the permanent benefits of one of those spells as a class feature? At what level would that be acceptable?

aimlessPolymath
2017-09-10, 02:32 PM
While a powerful ability, it isn't game-breaking at all- it's fairly easy to cast the spell when you need it with 3 uses per day. Without the context of a class, it's hard for me to say for sure when you should get it, but some thoughts in generalities:
-Speak With Animals is available from level 1, and can be had 6 times per day or so by level 5- by then, it's practically at will, which makes it maybe OK around then?
-Speak with Plants is unavailable before level 5 for any class. Rangers get it at level 8, and Bards at level 7. It practically never reaches that level of "nearly at-will".

rferries
2017-09-10, 07:27 PM
Might I offer some fresh-baked homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?531932-Revised-Polyglot-(feat-chain))? :)

Ranged Ranger
2017-09-10, 10:30 PM
While a powerful ability, it isn't game-breaking at all- it's fairly easy to cast the spell when you need it with 3 uses per day. Without the context of a class, it's hard for me to say for sure when you should get it, but some thoughts in generalities:
-Speak With Animals is available from level 1, and can be had 6 times per day or so by level 5- by then, it's practically at will, which makes it maybe OK around then?
-Speak with Plants is unavailable before level 5 for any class. Rangers get it at level 8, and Bards at level 7. It practically never reaches that level of "nearly at-will".
4th to 6th lvl looks good for animals; around 5+ lvls later for if I use the published spell lvl for speak with plants or not if I go with the multiple threads here and on enworld that argue for moving speak with plants down to match speak with animals...

Might I offer some fresh-baked homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?531932-Revised-Polyglot-(feat-chain))? :)
Using this awesome feat tree, a human could get both of these plus a bunch of other awesome goodies by 3rd lvl and the other races could at 6th lvl...

Thanks to both of you, this helped a lot.