PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Unearthed Arcana: Magic Rating; how would you convert it to Pathfinder?

Arkhios
2017-09-10, 01:31 PM
What it says in the title.

Does anyone remember that stuff and has anyone tried it with 3.5? Experiences? Thoughts?

At first glance it seems pretty straightforward and I thought it would be easy to convert to Pathfinder, but then I realized that the Column B which would apply to Paladins and Rangers might not work as well as is, since their caster levels aren't 1/2*class level in pathfinder, but class level -3 instead. This does not match well with the table given in UA.

Any ideas how should the column progress instead?

Doc_Maynot
2017-09-10, 02:32 PM
As an example of how Spheres of Power Handled Paladins, and they have a similar system as MR, with CL stacking and being essentially "Caster BAB"

Sphere Archetype Paladins and Rangers are Low-Casters (Half CL, like the MR table), but still suffer that -3 penalty.
However, given the fact that the MR system was made to give mundanes an effective CL, I'd just keep it as it is on the 3.5 table. Ignore the -3 penalty.

Powerdork
2017-09-10, 02:36 PM
Honestly, Pathfinder is already written (for variant rules like Limited Magic (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/variant-magic-rules/limited-magic/) and similar classes like the bloodrager) as if delayed casters already had a caster level without the -3 penalty, so you might as well just make non-casting classes use column B.

Arkhios
2017-09-11, 04:07 AM
As an example of how Spheres of Power Handled Paladins, and they have a similar system as MR, with CL stacking and being essentially "Caster BAB"

Sphere Archetype Paladins and Rangers are Low-Casters (Half CL, like the MR table), but still suffer that -3 penalty.
However, given the fact that the MR system was made to give mundanes an effective CL, I'd just keep it as it is on the 3.5 table. Ignore the -3 penalty.

Honestly, Pathfinder is already written (for variant rules like Limited Magic (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/variant-magic-rules/limited-magic/) and similar classes like the bloodrager) as if delayed casters already had a caster level without the -3 penalty, so you might as well just make non-casting classes use column B.

Thanks for the insights.

I believe I'm currently of the opinion that I'd put all casters to use the first column, while leaving non-casters to use the third. Second Column seems almost redundant if you still take into account the -3 penalty to caster level, after which they continue to rise in equal measure.

Besides, Magic Rating doesn't affect the progress by which you get the spell slots from individual classes you have, so it shouldn't be a big deal.