PDA

View Full Version : A New Profession Skill: Dragonsitter

Bartmanhomer
2017-09-10, 08:02 PM
Hey everybody. I just thought of a new Profession skill, it's called Dragonsitter. Well Dragonsitter it's a Profession skill for taking care of a dragon wyrmling while his or her parents are gone. It's just like babysitting but only with dragons. So what do you think of this new skill? :smile:

daremetoidareyo
2017-09-10, 08:11 PM
Check
You can practice your trade and make a decent living, earning about half your Profession check result in gold pieces per week of dedicated work. You know how to use the tools of your trade, how to perform the profession’s daily tasks, how to supervise helpers, and how to handle common problems.

So the dragon pays you 20gp a week to raise its wyrmlings?
I'm raising those wyrmlings to pay 200gp a week to my kids to raise their wyrmlings.

Bartmanhomer
2017-09-10, 08:42 PM
So the dragon pays you 20gp a week to raise its wyrmlings?
I'm raising those wyrmlings to pay 200gp a week to my kids to raise their wyrmlings.

I know. It's a great skill to have. :biggrin:

Calthropstu
2017-09-10, 10:56 PM
Sitting on dragons... isn't that called dragonriding?

Afgncaap5
2017-09-10, 11:06 PM

At least until the Ninth Pass, yes.

Bartmanhomer
2017-09-11, 11:55 AM

Yes I suppose Dragonsitter is another word for Dragonriding or Dragonriders.

Telonius
2017-09-11, 11:59 AM
This would completely change things for Meepo.

Bartmanhomer
2017-09-11, 12:00 PM
This would completely change things for Meepo.

Is Meepo your character, Telonius?

Telonius
2017-09-11, 12:30 PM
No, he's an NPC from Sunless Citadel. From Wizards' description (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060120a):

Meepo began his recorded existence as a downtrodden kobold who got the worst jobs his tribe had to offer. So when the tribe "acquired" a young white dragon, he was assigned to tend to its needs. At first he thought the job might have some prestige, but he quickly realized that cleaning up dragon dung and getting blasted with cold breath every time the dragon was displeased made the job more onerous than glamorous. A band of adventurers eventually relieved Meepo of that responsibility (see Sunless Citadel),

Bartmanhomer
2017-09-11, 12:40 PM
No, he's an NPC from Sunless Citadel. From Wizards' description (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060120a):

Cool. I believe that this Dragonsitter Profession skill will fit perfectly for your NPC.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-09-11, 12:54 PM
Honestly, if I were the DM you suggested it to I'd probably tell you you can just use diplomacy (or if the dragons are anything like human babies handle animal) used in the mold of a profession check because specific circumstances called for it. In a similar vein I would not require players to have a profession tournament archer or a perform parcours skill. because there are mechanics or everything they need to be able to do.

The big exception is if this is actually a thing within the game universe. You can find NPC's who's main professional skillset is getting payed by dragons to raise their young, teaching them and playing games with the child. Or I guess if you put in enough effort to realize your dream and become the first one. Ones that's a thing the sort of opposite of the first paragraph becomes true, you can use this profession skill instead of diplomacy, intimidate and maybe even ride or heal as long as the subject is a wyrmling dragon.

If your character or the whole campaign was about dragon riders you could argue for having a special skillset for dealing with the youngest of dragons if you wanted it to be a focus, but it wouldn't be a way around needing several different skills to be good at everything related to dragons in general.

Bartmanhomer
2017-09-11, 01:02 PM
Honestly, if I were the DM you suggested it to I'd probably tell you you can just use diplomacy (or if the dragons are anything like human babies handle animal) used in the mold of a profession check because specific circumstances called for it. In a similar vein I would not require players to have a profession tournament archer or a perform parcours skill. because there are mechanics or everything they need to be able to do.

The big exception is if this is actually a thing within the game universe. You can find NPC's who's main professional skillset is getting payed by dragons to raise their young, teaching them and playing games with the child. Or I guess if you put in enough effort to realize your dream and become the first one. Ones that's a thing the sort of opposite of the first paragraph becomes true, you can use this profession skill instead of diplomacy, intimidate and maybe even ride or heal as long as the subject is a wyrmling dragon.

If your character or the whole campaign was about dragon riders you could argue for having a special skillset for dealing with the youngest of dragons if you wanted it to be a focus, but it wouldn't be a way around needing several different skills to be good at everything related to dragons in general.
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a Dragonsitter Profession skill? :confused:

Celestia
2017-09-11, 01:35 PM
There's no purpose for this skill. Dragons are born with full intelligence and sapience and are perfectly capable of taking care of themselves. They don't need babysitters.

Bartmanhomer
2017-09-11, 02:19 PM
There's no purpose for this skill. Dragons are born with full intelligence and sapience and are perfectly capable of taking care of themselves. They don't need babysitters.Ok then. But just in case.... :biggrin:

Swaoeaeieu
2017-09-11, 02:54 PM
Ok then. But just in case.... :biggrin:

i was going to ask why a specific skill for babysitting dragons, and if that means that every species of animals needs a seperate skill. then i thought ''off course not, thats called animal handling''. and then i thougth why this suposed skill wouldnt just be animal handling as well if you do require a roll despite dragons being intelligent.

long story short, i dont really see the reason for this skill XD

Bartmanhomer
2017-09-11, 03:40 PM
i was going to ask why a specific skill for babysitting dragons, and if that means that every species of animals needs a seperate skill. then i thought ''off course not, thats called animal handling''. and then i thougth why this suposed skill wouldnt just be animal handling as well if you do require a roll despite dragons being intelligent.

long story short, i dont really see the reason for this skill XD
Dragons are beyond ordinary animals. I consider dragons magical beast because of their intelligences.

Swaoeaeieu
2017-09-11, 03:45 PM
Dragons are beyond ordinary animals. I consider dragons magical beast because of their intelligences.

so a much higher handle animal check?

my point being, how much are your players gonna need it and how many points should they invest in this very niche skill?
it seems redundant is all

Bartmanhomer
2017-09-11, 03:56 PM
so a much higher handle animal check?

my point being, how much are your players gonna need it and how many points should they invest in this very niche skill?
it seems redundant is all

Is their choice if they want to use it or not. Well I'm planning to use this skill for my future D&D 3.5 character. After all I did invent this skill. :wink:

Telok
2017-09-11, 09:51 PM
As an amusing aside, a Prof:Dragonsitter check will make as much money as a Prof:Evil Puppy Kicker check.

Cruiser1
2017-09-11, 10:38 PM
Honestly, if I were the DM you suggested it to I'd probably tell you you can just use diplomacy (or if the dragons are anything like human babies handle animal)
There's RAW for a similar situation, in rearing a baby dragon and getting it to agree to be your mount or cohort:

A character seeking to rear a newly hatched wyrmling must begin with a Diplomacy or Intimidate check to persuade the dragon to accept the character’s guidance... The character’s Diplomacy or Intimidate check is opposed by a Sense Motive check by the dragon... If the wyrmling wins the opposed check, it regards the character as a captor and attempts to gain its freedom any way it can. This opposed check cannot be retried. If the character wins this opposed check, he or she can attempt to rear the dragon. When the rearing period has run its course, the character attempts a Handle Animal check (DC 20 + the dragon’s Hit Dice at the very young stage). Only one check is made, rolled secretly by the DM. A failed check cannot be retried. If the character’s Handle Animal check fails, the dragon is not successfully reared and seeks to leave, as noted above. If the check succeeds, the character can begin to train the dragon to perform tasks (the most common of which is serving as a mount)

ATHATH
2017-09-12, 12:39 AM
Hey everybody. I just thought of a new Profession skill, it's called Dragonsitter. Well Dragonsitter it's a Profession skill for taking care of a dragon wyrmling while his or her parents are gone. It's just like babysitting but only with dragons. So what do you think of this new skill? :smile:
I... But... Wha... Why? What is the purpose of this? To show off that you thought of an interesting variant of the Profession (X) skill?

Hey everybody. I just thought of a new Profession skill, it's called Deep Sea Explorer. Well Deep Sea Explorer it's a Profession skill for exploring deep under the sea. It's just like exploring but only for when you're underwater. So what do you think of this new skill? :smile:

Crake
2017-09-12, 02:46 AM
I... But... Wha... Why? What is the purpose of this? To show off that you thought of an interesting variant of the Profession (X) skill?

Hey everybody. I just thought of a new Profession skill, it's called Deep Sea Explorer. Well Deep Sea Explorer it's a Profession skill for exploring deep under the sea. It's just like exploring but only for when you're underwater. So what do you think of this new skill? :smile:

Don't worry, you just said what 90% of people reading this thread were thinking.

Bartmanhomer
2017-09-12, 07:08 AM

I thought it was a pretty interesting skill to have.

Zombimode
2017-09-12, 07:23 AM
I thought it was a pretty interesting skill to have.

Why, though?

It doesn't mesh with Dragon lore (Young Dragons don't really need this kind of care; even if, what kind of Dragon would let a non-Dragon do this job?), and it is not really an adventuring skill.

Not every skill/ability is modelled with a mechanical skill.

Bartmanhomer
2017-09-12, 07:38 AM
Why, though?

It doesn't mesh with Dragon lore (Young Dragons don't really need this kind of care; even if, what kind of Dragon would let a non-Dragon do this job?), and it is not really an adventuring skill.

Not every skill/ability is modelled with a mechanical skill.Even wyrmling?