PDA

View Full Version : need help building a twf character

Baby Gary
2017-09-10, 11:15 PM
so, its that time again I need advice on a character, again. This time, however, the character is not for me, but for a friend.

what he wants is a character like Kirito from the anime sword art online, for those who don't know about him he fighters with two weapons, both what I would assume to be D&D longswords, has rather high agility and mobility, and is badass (there are more, these are just the main ones).

My current idea is using the Tempest PrC from complete adventurer. for a class to fill in before it I was considering ranger, hit and run tactics fighter, or swordsage. of those I was leaning towards either ranger (with a fair amount of ACF) or swordsage.

this character is level 8, all official 3.5 sources are allowed and 3.0 stuff that has not been updated might be. One important homebrew. the campaign and everything is 3.5 EXEPT feats, they are how pathfinder does them, one at every odd level (correct me if I am wrong, I have never played pathfinder)

I believe thats it, if you have any questions about this feel free to ask, I will try to answer them

and of course not a lot of cheese, this is for a medium OP campaign, between PunPun and dual wielding, scimitar throwing, not having natural spell, druid (that never uses wild shape and prepares SNA in all their slots)

ViperMagnum357
2017-09-11, 12:41 AM
First, decide whether you want an initiator or standard martial. If a regular martial, then decide on your combat role-sneak attack, trip/disarm/area denial, or crit-fishing. That will determine your weapons; area denial means at least one level of Fighter for EWP and spinning swords, sneak attack should be Fighter 1/EWP plus crescent knives from Dragon 275, and crit fishing means Dervish with Scimitars-and a possible dip into Disciple of Dispater for Iron Power if evil is on the menu. Also look at this TWF handbook: www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279079-3-5-The-TWF-OffHandbook&p=15034647&viewfull=1

Nifft
2017-09-11, 02:21 AM
If it's a character from anime, then I assume he has special moves and shouts out his attack names.

That's a really good fit for the martial initiator classes from Tome of Battle, especially Swordsage or Warblade, since those two both get Tiger Claw maneuvers (the TWF school).

If the character is tricky, high-mobility, lightly-armored, and tough to pin down, then the best fit might be Swordsage.

If the character is tougher than steel or a great leader, then the best fit might be Warblade.

Gruftzwerg
2017-09-11, 02:51 AM
If it's a character from anime, then I assume he has special moves and shouts out his attack names.

That's a really good fit for the martial initiator classes from Tome of Battle, especially Swordsage or Warblade, since those two both get Tiger Claw maneuvers (the TWF school).

If the character is tricky, high-mobility, lightly-armored, and tough to pin down, then the best fit might be Swordsage.

If the character is tougher than steel or a great leader, then the best fit might be Warblade.

and maybe prc into Bloodclaw Master prc from ToB. Gets rid of twf penalties and further progresses tiger claw maneuvers.

Darrin
2017-09-11, 07:20 AM
First, obligatory plug: TWF OffHandbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279079-3-5-The-TWF-OffHandbook).

what he wants is a character like Kirito from the anime sword art online, for those who don't know about him he fighters with two weapons, both what I would assume to be D&D longswords, has rather high agility and mobility, and is badass (there are more, these are just the main ones).

Oversized TWF (Complete Adventurer) makes two longswords somewhat viable, and it also allows Power Attack if you're looking for a source of bonus damage. You can do a Pounce-barian-ish build this way, although ideally you'd want an exotic weapon of some sort (bastard sword or elven thinblade come to mind) to take advantage of Exotic Weapon Master's "Uncanny Blow" stunt. While it's not entirely clear what the intention was behind Uncanny Blow, it can be interpreted to mean that one-handed exotic weapons are treated as two-handed for the purposes of determining damage modifiers. You'll probably need a favorable DM ruling to get the most out of it.

My current idea is using the Tempest PrC from complete adventurer.

Gah! Stop! Friends do not let friends take Tempest! Or rather... I'm not a big fan of it. Spring Attack isn't a particularly viable strategy for TWF builds. Even if you stick it out and unlock Two-Weapon Spring Attack, your Improved TWF and Greater TWF feats are wasted.

for a class to fill in before it I was considering ranger, hit and run tactics fighter, or swordsage. of those I was leaning towards either ranger (with a fair amount of ACF) or swordsage.

this character is level 8, all official 3.5 sources are allowed and 3.0 stuff that has not been updated might be. One important homebrew. the campaign and everything is 3.5 EXEPT feats, they are how pathfinder does them, one at every odd level (correct me if I am wrong, I have never played pathfinder)

There are two directions I would recommend... if you're looking for a non-initiator, then I would suggest looking at a Daring Outlaw build:

Race: Human.
1) Rogue 1. Feat: TWF. Human: Craven (Champions of Ruin).
2) Rogue 2.
3) Rogue 3. Feat: Oversized TWF (Complete Adventurer). Penetrating Strike ACF (Ravenloft or Dungeonscape).
4) Swashbuckler 1. Bonus: Weapon Finesse.
5) Swashbuckler 2. Feat: Daring Outlaw (Complete Scoundrel).
6) Swashbuckler 3. Insightful Strike.
7) Rogue 4. Feat: Improved TWF.
8) Hit-and-Run Fighter: Bonus: Combat Reflexes.
9) Swashbuckler 4. Feat: Double Hit (Miniatures Handbook)
10) Swashbuckler 5.
11) Swashbuckler 6. Feat: Staggering Strike (Complete Adventurer).
12) Swashbuckler 7.
13) Swashbuckler 8. Feat: Greater TWF.
14) Swashbuckler 9.
15) Swashbuckler 10. Feat: *Travel Devotion (Complete Champion).
16) Swashbuckler 11.
17) Swashbuckler 12. Feat: *Travel Devotion x2.
18) Swashbuckler 13.
19) Swashbuckler 14. Feat: *Travel Devotion x3.
20) Swashbuckler 15. Sneak Attack 10d6.

*Note: You could also do Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, and Shock Trooper here for more "Nova" damage: crank PA to max, put the penalty on your AC, and hope you kill your target before it can counter-attack.

The other option I would recommend would be an Int-based Warblade. You can take up to six non-Warblade levels and still get 9th level maneuvers. Time Stands Still would be the capstone. Those six non-Warblade levels can include: 1 Barb for Pounce, Hit-and-Run Fighter 2 for two bonus feats, and Swashbuckler 3 for Int bonus on damage.

Race: Human.
1) Barbarian 1. Feat: Travel Devotion (Complete Champion). Bonus: Power Attack.
2) Hit-and-Run Fighter 1. Bonus: TWF.
3) Hit-and-Run Fighter 2. Feat: Improved Bull Rush. Bonus: Oversized TWF (Complete Adventurer).
4) Swashbuckler 1. Bonus: Weapon Finesse.
5) Swashbuckler 2. Feat: Leap Attack (Complete Adventurer).
6) Swashbuckler 3. Insightful Strike.
7) Warblade 1. Feat: Improved TWF.
8) Warblade 2.
9) Warblade 3. Feat: Shock Trooper (Complete Warrior).
10) Warblade 4.
11) Warblade 5. Feat: Double Hit (Miniatures Handbook). Bonus: Combat Reflexes.
12) Warblade 6.
13) Warblade 7. Feat: Greater TWF.
14) Warblade 8.
15) Warblade 9. Feat: Travel Devotion x2. Bonus: Improved Initiative.
16) Warblade 10.
17) Warblade 11. Feat: Travel Devotion x3.
18) Warblade 12.
19) Warblade 13. Feat: Martial Stance: Stance of Alacrity. Bonus: Blade Meditation. (Tome of Battle)
20) Warblade 14. Time Stands Still.

Fliggl
2017-09-11, 08:02 AM
Power Attack
Oversized TWF
Weapon Finesse.
Insightful Strike.

Keep in mind that you have to use an elven thinblade or rapier for this tactic. Maybe another weapon, but it has to be finessable and one-handed

Darrin
2017-09-11, 08:29 AM
Keep in mind that you have to use an elven thinblade or rapier for this tactic. Maybe another weapon, but it has to be finessable and one-handed

Good point. I should have shoehorned EWP somewhere in there. If you can't fit in EWP, dual rapiers will work with Power Attack and Oversized TWF. Otherwise, two Feycraft longswords (DMGII p. 275) are functionally equivalent to rapiers.