PDA

View Full Version : Help with Monk/ Druid for Storm King's Thunder

RacingBreca
2017-09-11, 12:24 AM
First time thread; thanks in advance for your thoughts.
I am 3 levels into Storm King's Thunder and have built a Ghostwise halfling Monk 1/ Moon Druid 2. My party consists of a gnome mystic (yoda), a gnome barbarian (Lee-Roy Jenkins, a gnome artificer, a dragonborn Paladin, and a Half-Orc Cleric.
My DM has ruled that natural weapons are monk weapons, but that they are not unarmed strikes. My Wisdom does bump my wild shape AC. With these things understood, let's talk about the build.
My rolled stats are very nice. After racial bonuses I've ended up with 18's in both Dex and Wis. A 16 in Con. The rest are 10.
My intention is to try the Way of Tranquility for the RP value of sanctuary at will, and the amazing lay on hands type healing. Way of the open hand still speaks to me though. Battlefield control is really fun.
Knowing that SKT only goes to lvl10, what can I look forward to at the end.
Monk 8/ Druid 2
Monk 6/ Druid 4
Monk 5/ Druid 5
Monk 4/ Druid 6
I'm leaning towards 5/5 to get stunning strike, extra attack and access to level 3 spells. But no magic attack besides spells (call lightning and shillelighe) is a downer.
Please help.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-09-11, 02:29 AM
Have you considered the most 'balanced' multiclass? You have 5 levels in Moon Druid. Therefore you must also have 5 levels in monk. But to balance the moon, you need the sun.

Sunsoul is the only viable options, don't you see? You can use freakin LAZER BEAMS while wild shape (RAW), so there's you spell attacks. Its the ultimate Dichotomy.

Nifft
2017-09-11, 02:35 AM
Ah, but to truly balance around the Moon, it is not necessary to involve the sun at all. Both can be in the sky at once, after all -- they are not opposites.

What is the opposite of the moon? The un-moon, the absent moon, the new moon. The Shadow Moon.

Therefore, you must be a Moon Druid / Shadow Monk.

You are the bear that teleports behind.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-09-11, 03:29 AM
Ah, but to truly balance around the Moon, it is not necessary to involve the sun at all. Both can be in the sky at once, after all -- they are not opposites.

What is the opposite of the moon? The un-moon, the absent moon, the new moon. The Shadow Moon.

Therefore, you must be a Moon Druid / Shadow Monk.

You are the bear that teleports behind.

Or perhaps he could change moon druid, to Harvest Druid, and become a Long death monk. Harvesting brings about the end, usually before naturally causes. to balance an early death one must practice extending ones own life!

RacingBreca
2017-09-11, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the recommendations on alternative paths, but what I really need is some assistance prioritizing those final levels of the build.

Level 5 Druid gets me access to lvl 3 spells (Conjure animals and Call lightning)
Level 5 Monk gets me access to 50 points of healing (way of tranquility) extra attack and stunning strike.
Level 6 Druid gets me CR2 animals (Giant Scorpion and Giant Elk) another lvl 3 spell slot, and magical natural weapon attacks.
Level 6 Monk gets me access to magical unarmed strikes, 60 points of healing, and persuasion proficiency.

Level 3 spells are awesome.
Extra attack makes the Dire Wolf form very useful.
The Giant Scorpion and Elk are very combat useful creatures and will also improve my tankness.
Level 6 monk seems like the loser here. I doubt my party will resolve the final conflict peacefully.

I guess this means I am weighing extra attack, stunning strike, and +10 healing AGAINST CR2 animals another lvl3 spell slot and magical attacks.

What say you?