PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Is there...any official novel or world setting that actually uses Tome of Battle?

Astralia123
2017-09-11, 07:15 AM
Like, some novels in which a Ruby knight vindicator appears as a character?

Yahzi
2017-09-11, 08:06 AM
Don't most novels sorta obscure the relationship between class and character? The only Pathfinder novel I've ever read is Prince of Wolves (which I heartily recommend), but I thought it was just normal to not act like classes were real things in most books.

Psyren
2017-09-11, 09:40 AM
For a specific prestige class you probably won't find much, but for the system as a whole, there's an article about how it fits into Forgotten Realms (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070911) that might give you ideas.

As for RKV specifically, there's a sample one in ToB itself that you could drop into a Greyhawk game, or modify for another setting.

CozJa
2017-09-11, 10:20 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Dragons of Eberron has one draconic path (or whatever they are called) that uses maneuvers instead of spells.

Astralia123
2017-09-12, 06:36 AM
Hmmm...I was hoping to see how novelists describe the fighting ways of martial artists of ToB, but seems there would be no luck...

Melcar
2017-09-12, 07:30 AM

I would say that classes are mechanical constructions made to represent concepts.

gkathellar
2017-09-12, 07:53 AM
PoW obviously isn't the same as ToB, but Lord Gareth of Dreamscarred Press incorporated PoW into his novel, Mourners. IIRC, there is a Mourners setting book either extant or forthcoming.

Dunno if that's any use, but there it is.

I would say that classes are mechanical constructions made to represent concepts.

They can be, but many classes have built in fluff and describe themselves as members of organizations. The RKVs are explicitly described as an elite order of warrior-priests in the service of Wee-Jas, for instance. You don't have to play one as such, but it's not crazy to ask whether anything' been done with that.

Psyren
2017-09-12, 09:05 AM
Note that the adaptation (ToB 125) allows you to decouple them from Wee Jas specifically. You can also remove the Devoted Spirit requirement, opening them up to other initiators or even non-initiators (with the right feats.)