PDA

View Full Version : DA's Templars - Class Question

JumboWheat01
2017-09-11, 08:09 AM
So I've been playing a lot of the Dragon Age series of late (okay, that's a lie, I've been playing NOTHING but Dragon Age of late,) and always my favorite specialization in the series is the Templar one for warriors. Which D&D class do you think best represents the Templar? I've narrowed it to either an Oath of Ancients Paladin or an Eldritch Knight focusing on Abjuration spells, but either could really work.

DarkKnightJin
2017-09-11, 08:30 AM
Hmmm. Either way you go about it, Dispel Magic is a must for the theme. Outside of general use, anyway. I'd try and get Counterspell somehow to no-sell an enemy mage. Mage Slayer feat is probably going to be nice. War Caster might be something don't wanna wait too long to grab either.

In the case of the Paladin, I'd dip into Sorcerer or Warlock for some cantrips to use and shore up the ranged deficit Pally tends to have. Or go whole hog, grab BB/GFB and a utility cantrip.

For EK, if you're open to using UA, you could MC into War Magic Wizard for added tankiness on top of your Heavy armor. Not to mention more spells/slots.

Just my 2 cents.
I did consider some mechanical benefits just above pure character concept, to nake sure the character isn't going to be a load on the party beyond 'Look, things can't hit me!'

strangebloke
2017-09-11, 11:06 AM
The Paladin has more stuff that fits with the theme, like smiting, improved saves etc. But it also has a lot of stuff that doesn't fit, like healing, bless, etc.

The EK has less stuff that doesn't fit, and a few things that the ancients doesn't.

There's also the Zealot Barbarian. It has great fluff. The only real anti-magic ability is this: Reroll a failed save once per rest. At tenth it also gives a 'make your allies awesome' aura, which is templary. It also can fight while at zero hp, which is, once again, a templar thing.

Overall, I would side with the Paladin. Focus on the smite spells and things like dispel magic. Bless is very similar to the leadership buffs.

Maxilian
2017-09-11, 11:21 AM
An EK Fighter with the Zealot Background and the feat Mage Slayer.

Maxilian
2017-09-11, 11:34 AM
Hmmm. Either way you go about it, Dispel Magic is a must for the theme. Outside of general use, anyway. I'd try and get Counterspell somehow to no-sell an enemy mage. Mage Slayer feat is probably going to be nice. War Caster might be something don't wanna wait too long to grab either.

In the case of the Paladin, I'd dip into Sorcerer or Warlock for some cantrips to use and shore up the ranged deficit Pally tends to have. Or go whole hog, grab BB/GFB and a utility cantrip.

For EK, if you're open to using UA, you could MC into War Magic Wizard for added tankiness on top of your Heavy armor. Not to mention more spells/slots.

Just my 2 cents.
I did consider some mechanical benefits just above pure character concept, to nake sure the character isn't going to be a load on the party beyond 'Look, things can't hit me!'

I don't think the Paladin MC with anything work for the concept (Warlock is way too.... warlock for a templar, but i guess it could work for a Red Templar (those that are infected with Red Lyrium)

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/11/15/84/11158445af6d3d42086a644278443a3e.png

Note: Though you could always reflavor the Warlock thing to make sure it goes with the concept.

Note2: I agree that the mechanical benefits are nice, but you're a Fighter and you are not that MAD (You are also the class with the most ASIS, so yeah, i don't think the Paladin MC is relevant)