PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Multiclassing fighter/bard

Dankus Memakus
2017-09-11, 08:52 AM
I began to think about this the other night but my issue is, Is this multi class actually effective? id like to build him kinda like a soldier leader that inspires with words and speeches. Running around in plate with a huge sword. Good idea or bad one? Would it be best as a valor or lore bard (I thought lore since i'm gonna get all valors proficiences)? I am not sure what i should do but i like this idea. Also don't know what race to take but it will probably be one that boosts my survivability.

smcmike
2017-09-11, 08:58 AM
Fighter goes pretty well with literally every other class, so, yeah, this works just fine.

If you are planning five or more levels in Fighter, Lore Bard is better. You could also just use a couple of levels of Fighter with Valor Bard, to add heavy armor, fighting style, and action surge.

Of course, if all you want is a heavily armored leader of men, Bard/Paladin probably works even better.

Dankus Memakus
2017-09-11, 09:10 AM
Fighter goes pretty well with literally every other class, so, yeah, this works just fine.

If you are planning five or more levels in Fighter, Lore Bard is better. You could also just use a couple of levels of Fighter with Valor Bard, to add heavy armor, fighting style, and action surge.

Of course, if all you want is a heavily armored leader of men, Bard/Paladin probably works even better.

Yeah but i think i'm only gonna do one level of fighter for the Armor and fighting style so i maximize what i get as a bard. If i were to pick paladin I'd want more levels for auras and smite but with fighter i only need one

smcmike
2017-09-11, 09:20 AM
Yeah but i think i'm only gonna do one level of fighter for the Armor and fighting style so i maximize what i get as a bard. If i were to pick paladin I'd want more levels for auras and smite but with fighter i only need one

Ok, so basically you just want a full Bard with heavy armor.

One level of Fighter is a good choice, though you have to start as a fighter to get heavy armor. This also gets you constitution saves, which is nice. Even if you are trying to fit in as much Bard as possible, though, a second level of Fighter is still nice. Action surge is really great.

Paladin isn't very good with just one level, but Paladin2/Valor Bard18 is great, and probably better than the fighter build.

If you are set on only taking one level outside of Bard, your best choice is none of the above. One level of Cleric will give you heavy armor, even if you don't take it first, as well as full casting slots.

Specter
2017-09-11, 09:29 AM
Yeah, what smcmike said.

Also if you're taking one level it wouldn't hurt to take two for Action Surge, or even three as Eldritch Knight to grab Shield and Absorb Elements.

PeteNutButter
2017-09-11, 10:33 AM
To break this down further there are basically 4 builds that can grab heavy armor without taking more than 2 levels out of bard:

Fighter 1-2/Lore Bard x. This is basically just a tankier version of bard. You have heavy armor and con saves. Defense FS is the choice here as your martial abilities will fall off rather quickly. I'd keep it at fighter 1, but the second level is action surge.

Fighter 1-2/Valor Bard x. Same pros as above, but now you can actually be a half-decent martial. Extra attack doesn't come online until a painful level 7 or even 8. For that reason, I'd avoid fighter level 2 for a while, or completely.

Paladin 2/Valor Bard x. Significantly delayed extra attack, but ends up being the best at melee damage of the lot once it comes online at level 8. Lots of smites and extra attack, make you a very strong alternative to the paladin sorcerer. In a very long game a paladin 6/lore bard x would probably fare better.

Cleric 1/Lore Bard x. This is a bit MAD, but comes with the bonus of several great spells added to your list, and no delay in slot progression. Life cleric is a popular choice for combining its powers with stolen magical secret spells.

Sans.
2017-09-11, 11:58 AM
Fighter 1-2/Lore Bard x. This is basically just a tankier version of bard. You have heavy armor and con saves. Defense FS is the choice here as your martial abilities will fall off rather quickly. I'd keep it at fighter 1, but the second level is action surge.

Couldn't you use the SCAG cantrips?

Aett_Thorn
2017-09-11, 12:09 PM

Would need to wait until Magical Secrets at Bard level 6 for that, since they're not Bard spells, IIRC.

Aaron Underhand
2017-09-11, 12:45 PM
Would need to wait until Magical Secrets at Bard level 6 for that, since they're not Bard spells, IIRC.

Or go with Arcarna Cleric 1

PeteNutButter
2017-09-11, 01:43 PM

Or go with Arcarna Cleric 1

All of that works if you are really set on having a melee option. It's probably still not worth taking anything other than defense FS though, as dueling or worse GWF scale with attacks per turn better. IMO +2 damage isn't really worth getting hit 5% more often, unless you plan to spam attacks. If you are mostly a lore bard, you'll probably be boosting your casting stat (cha) and not str/dex, making BB/GFB less and less attractive as you go up in levels.

If you start with a 16 str and cha but boost cha to 20 first, by level 11 a firebolt or EB will be doing 19.5 average damage, compared to a BB which would do 3d8+5 with dueling style but have only +7 to hit compared to the +9 of the spell. It's not worth it unless your team really needs someone to stand upfront, or you have a great way to make BB pop all the time.

Biggstick
2017-09-11, 03:40 PM
I began to think about this the other night but my issue is, Is this multi class actually effective? id like to build him kinda like a soldier leader that inspires with words and speeches. Running around in plate with a huge sword. Good idea or bad one? Would it be best as a valor or lore bard (I thought lore since i'm gonna get all valors proficiences)? I am not sure what i should do but i like this idea. Also don't know what race to take but it will probably be one that boosts my survivability.

A single-classed Fighter with Inspiring Leader (and an ok Charisma score) can do just this. You'll have all the goodness of being a single classed Fighter, and be capable of putting out temporary hp per short rest that is equal to approximately a Mass Healing Word (which only gets better as you level up). Sure, it eats up a feat, but Fighters have the room for additional feats.

If you're really committed to doing this as a Fighter/Bard multiclass, what about the Bard is appealing to you? Is it the Bardic Inspiration? Is it the full spell casting progression of Bard? Do you want to be a primary martial character (which would call for a combination that nets you at least two attacks when you take the attack action) or would you prefer to be a primary caster (which falls more in line with being a Lore bard).

Something I want to draw your attention towards if you play a melee-focused Bard, you are a squishy character. Sure, you might have a high AC if you're able to afford Plate, and rock a shield and the Defense fighting style. You might also be using spells defensively like...oh right, Bards don't really have defensive buff spells other then Invisibility, Greater Invisibility, and Freedom of Movement for their first 9 levels. You're also rocking a d8 hit die with no damage reduction available. Lastly you have no great way to help with your saving throws or your ability to deal with incoming aoe damage (Fireballs, Breath weapons, etc). You're squishy to say the least.

I'm not saying all this to talk you out of playing what you've proposed, I just want you to be aware of it's weaknesses.

Bjarkmundur
2019-02-25, 07:47 AM
Today I got the exact same idea

"Should I take 2 levels of fighter, and then level on as a Valor Bard"

It seemed to fuly satisfy my low-fantasy preferences whilst still giving me pretty cool options as a utility melee class.

Havign Con save, heavy Armor, action surge, second wind, inspiring leader and a fighting style all seems like exactly what I need to make my vision of my character into reality.

I think familiarity with a class goes a long way when looking at "advanced options" like multiclassing. I'd feel a bit silly if I didn't at least give full Bard a few levels worth of playing before deciding I hate it. In my experience playing a class is very different from theorising about it.

Dankus Memakus
2019-02-25, 09:34 AM
Today I got the exact same idea

"Should I take 2 levels of fighter, and then level on as a Valor Bard"

It seemed to fuly satisfy my low-fantasy preferences whilst still giving me pretty cool options as a utility melee class.

Havign Con save, heavy Armor, action surge, second wind, inspiring leader and a fighting style all seems like exactly what I need to make my vision of my character into reality.

I think familiarity with a class goes a long way when looking at "advanced options" like multiclassing. I'd feel a bit silly if I didn't at least give full Bard a few levels worth of playing before deciding I hate it. In my experience playing a class is very different from theorising about it.

Hey, i dont wanna be rude but you totally did a bit of thread necromancy there. Please check your dates :)