PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Paladin Motto: Good Does Not Mean Nice ...in Latin?

Dimcair
2017-09-11, 10:04 AM
Any of the old-school gents able to translate the ever so relevant paladin credo into Latin that isn't butchered?

For use for a organization of some kind.

Would be much obliged if sb gives it a go =3

hymer
2017-09-11, 10:09 AM
I'd say 'Bonus non Gratus' has a kind of ring to it.

One year of Latin about twenty years ago, but it's simple and I expect correct.

Spore
2017-09-11, 10:20 AM
Honestum (The morally good, Bonum would be of good quality) comitatem (accusative of comitas, Happiness, Hospitality, general friendliness) non significant (does not mean).

I'd say 'Bonus non Gratus' has a kind of ring to it.

One year of Latin about twenty years ago, but it's simple and I expect correct.

I feel it would be bonum (neutral instead of masculine) and "non gratus". Bonum non gratum would mean: "Good is not nice".

e: I am apparently wrong and you can say bonum für the morally good as well.

My final answer would then be:

Bonum comitatem non significant.

If you want it shorter:

Bonum non gratum

is also good.

Dimcair
2017-09-11, 10:37 AM
Thank You both.

I liked your original, Honestum, too.

But short and sweet .... sweetens the deal. Gotta fit on an Arms after all, and maybe also roll of the tongue.

Bonum non Gratum it is.

Merci Much!

aberratio ictus
2017-09-13, 05:12 AM
Honestum (The morally good, Bonum would be of good quality) comitatem (accusative of comitas, Happiness, Hospitality, general friendliness) non significant (does not mean).

I feel it would be bonum (neutral instead of masculine) and "non gratus". Bonum non gratum would mean: "Good is not nice".

e: I am apparently wrong and you can say bonum für the morally good as well.

My final answer would then be:

Bonum comitatem non significant.

If you want it shorter:

Bonum non gratum

is also good.

Non significat. Significant is plural.

KarlMarx
2017-09-13, 07:52 PM
Given that Latin has some words that can mean 'good' in a lawful sense--i.e. focused on honesty, loyalty, etc., I'd use....

Pietas non lepidum est

Literally "Faith is not agreeable", but given that Pietas was in many ways the definition of good in Latin culture I find it works better considering the subtleties of the language & culture.

georgie_leech
2017-09-14, 08:26 PM
Given that Latin has some words that can mean 'good' in a lawful sense--i.e. focused on honesty, loyalty, etc., I'd use....

Pietas non lepidum est

Literally "Faith is not agreeable", but given that Pietas was in many ways the definition of good in Latin culture I find it works better considering the subtleties of the language & culture.

Plus, you know, connotations of piety. They are generally a divine-leaning class after all. :smallwink: