PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Tempest Cleric Multiclass

Rogerdodger557
2017-09-11, 12:06 PM
What would be the better multiclass for booming blade/lightning lure/shocking grasp? Sorcerer, Warlock, or Wizard?

NecroDancer
2017-09-11, 12:23 PM
Tempest cleric is great without multiclassing but if you have to I'd recommend 1 Level in storm sorcerer to get the Tempestuous Magic ability.

Rogerdodger557
2017-09-11, 12:34 PM
Tempest cleric is great without multiclassing but if you have to I'd recommend 1 Level in storm sorcerer to get the Tempestuous Magic ability.

The main reason I would multi class is to get the lightning/thunder damage cantrips. Not having to use spell slots for the level 6 ability would be great.

Saggo
2017-09-11, 12:51 PM
The answer is it depends. What level do you expect to reach, what are your ability scores, and how much DPR do you plan to contribute vs doing basic Cleric support duties? Martial Clerics with Booming/Green-Flame Blade really come into their own by stacking their level 8 feature with it. Cleric DPR in general comes into it's own with Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians. You need all of those to produce truly competitive DPR.

If you focus Dex and use Rapier+Shield with Light or Medium Armor, you can pick High Elf or Half-Elf with High Elf variant. No delay in Cleric levels, which means no delays to ASI, slot progression, or +1-2d8 feature.

If you can start level 1 as Sorcerer and if you're one of the primary frontliners, it gives you Con Save proficiency. This will go the furthest for DPR by keeping Bless and Spirit Guardians up.

If you're not the tank or a primary frontliner, or plan to take Warcaster, Wizard gives the ever useful Owl Familiar which just like Arcane Trickster can give advantage to all the damage of your Action.

Warlock is the weakest pick. It's 2 short rest slots are great for Bless, but can't be used for Spirit Guardians which you'll likely transition to. It's most useful to a primarily support oriented Cleric.

FadeAssassin
2017-09-11, 12:54 PM
Well for a 1 level dip,

Sorcerer would give you either an AC bump and More HP OR Wild Magic.
Warlock would give you Pact Magic, and A Charm ability, a THP ability, or a telepathy ability.
Wizard would give you Arcane recovery, which can be helpful, though less so if you only go 1 Wiz.

This is only with the PHB stuff (don't have access to my other books atm)

Personally I would say Wizard, as it gives the biggest benefit in my eyes with AR. Sorcerer can be good if you plan on going for Second Level with Meta Magic. I wouldn't go warlock personally for RP reasons, unless my Patron and god were one and the same, or at the very least aligned.

Master O'Laughs
2017-09-11, 01:07 PM
I thought it may be worth noting that an M/C into any of those will make you MAD. Needing a high CHA or INT for attack rolls with shocking grasp or lightning lure will hurt keeping WIS and STR high for offense.

Another option for booming blade is to go Vuman and take spell sniper: booming blade. The benefit of this is it allows you to use a reach weapon with the cantrip and doubles the range of some of your spells.

Rogerdodger557
2017-09-11, 01:11 PM
I thought it may be worth noting that an M/C into any of those will make you MAD. Needing a high CHA or INT for attack rolls with shocking grasp or lightning lure will hurt keeping WIS and STR high for offense.

Another option for booming blade is to go Vuman and take spell sniper: booming blade. The benefit of this is it allows you to use a reach weapon with the cantrip and doubles the range of some of your spells.

I had not thought of that.

Gorgo
2017-09-11, 01:19 PM
If your goal is mostly to acquire some cantrips, there's always taking the Magic Initiate feat instead of doing a level-dip. That doesn't address the MAD issues, but you might find that missing out on an ASI is less of a progression tax than being a level behind in your spell progression as a cleric.

Aaron Underhand
2017-09-11, 01:19 PM

Or Mage Initiate for both Booming blade and Lightning lure...

Saggo
2017-09-11, 01:28 PM

Although it's not impossible if you're not married to a specific race (a Mountain Dward can get 2 16s, 14, and a 13 with Point Buy for instance), MADness is another reason I prefer using race or feats to get Booming Blade on Tempest.

I'd rate Mage Initiate over Spell Sniper if you plan to use a shield, can grant both Booming Blade and Find Familiar, and still dump Int. Take a 2nd cantirp that doesn't rely on the casting score, Friends, Message, Mage Hand, etc.