PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Warpmaster, WIP

JBPuffin
2017-09-11, 01:45 PM
I'm working on an Int-based teleporting class (think Pathfinder SoP Warpmaster for flavor), and I had an idea for a Barkskin-style Unarmored Defense. Is this fair at level 1?

Repulsive Defense: While you are not wearing medium or heavy armor, your Armor Class can't be less than 8+your proficiency bonus+the higher of your Dexterity or Intelligence modifiers. In addition, you do not grant advantage on melde attacks while prone.

If there are better ways to word this, or if it's too weak/strong, let me know.

Edit: Here's some more info on the class thus far.

Hit Points:
Hit Dice: 1d8 per Warpmaster level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8+your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5)+ your Constitution modifier per Warpmaster level after 1st
Proficiencies:
Armor: Light armor, shields
Weapons: Simple weapons, hand crossbows, shortswords
Tools: None
Skills: Choose two from Acrobatics, Arcana, Athletics, Insight, Investigation, Perception, Sleight of Hand, and Stealth
Saving Throws: Dexterity, Intelligence
Equipment:
a) A shortsword (if proficient) or b) any simple weapon
a) A light crossbow and twenty bolts or b) any simple weapon
a) Leather armor or b) chain shirt (if proficient)
a) A burglar's pack, b) a dungeoneer's pack, or c)
an explorer's pack
A shield and two daggers

Dimensional Approach: This class' archetypes (Displacer, Shaper, and World Breaker); grants features at 1st,
5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th level.

Warp Strike: Sneak Attack-esque. Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d4 (goes up 1d4 every odd level, like SA) damage to a creature you hit with an attack if you either a) had advantage on the attack or b) you moved at least 10 feet before making the attack and didn't have disadvantage. Reduced damage ought to balance greater ease of trigger (admittedly, like with a rogue, if you aren't using it every round you're not playing "right") and greater variety of weapons you can use this with.

Fighting Style: Not sure what options they'll have yet. I don't think Archery will be one.

Flash Step: As part of your movement, you can teleport (5, goes to 10 at 6th, 15 at 11th, and 20 at 16th) feet to an unoccupied space you can see. Looking for the precise wording still, but the idea would be that this is something you can do every turn without costing an action, bonus action, or reaction, and effects should trigger when you Flash Step versus moving regularly.

Displacer 5th Level: Sudden Appearance - Whenever you use your Flash Step to move within 5 feet of a creature, you gain advantage on the next attack roll you make against that creature before the end of your turn. Triggers Warp Strike either way, but it also provides a form of pseudo-flanking, which I like, and brings a Warpmaster 5/Rogue 15 to mind as a cool build. This could also just be a bonus action which uses your Flash Step and provides the advantage against one creature - technically, if you have Horde Breaker or Extra Attack from another source and Flash Step next to multiple creatures, you'll get advantage on one attack for each target, but it's enough of a hurdle I'm okay with it.

World Breaker 5th Level: Extra Attack, as it's the warrior version. They'll also get martial weapons and medium armor proficiency at 1st level (other archetypes will have other bonus proficiencies).

JNAProductions
2017-09-11, 02:06 PM
It's not an issue at level 1, since it's just 10+Dex or Int.

It can be an issue at higher levels, since you get 14+Dex or Int. On an Int SAD class, it's going to be too strong, but on a more MAD class... Well, why not just make it Unarmored Defense of 10+Int+Dex?

JBPuffin
2017-09-11, 04:07 PM
It's not an issue at level 1, since it's just 10+Dex or Int.

It can be an issue at higher levels, since you get 14+Dex or Int. On an Int SAD class, it's going to be too strong, but on a more MAD class... Well, why not just make it Unarmored Defense of 10+Int+Dex?

I wanted to reinvent the wheel :smallbiggrin:. Honestly, I like the idea of a character who wears armor, but isn't necessarily bound by it; some subclasses will get medium armor proficiency and can use that instead, like a barbarian, but I don't want one to be automatically better than the other. Of course, you can switch at higher levels...I figured that it would be weaker than Unarmored Defense at first (the class gets light armor and shield at least, so expected AC of around 16 with a decent Dex) and so I could give them the other bit based on the flavor (using warped gravity to repulse attacks, even when you're on your back).

Right now, I want there to be several "camps" when it comes to stat preference: Dex+Int for a roguish assassin type (current subclass title: the Displacer); an Int-focused pseudo-caster model (current subclass title: the Shaper), and Str+Int for something 4e Swordmage-esque (current subclass title: the World Breaker). At the core, the class is mobility focused, with features which provide or utilize unconventional movement or model it in other ways, and each archetype provides a different focus for those abilities in combat.

I'm going to toss up some more features in the OP that I want to incorporate. Hopefully the larger context helps :smallsmile:.