PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Slippers of battledancing: only on land?

Lady Alysha
2017-09-11, 04:07 PM
The slippers of battledancing allow you to get Charisma to attack and damage rolls, replacing strength, as long as you move at least 10 feet as part of a move action. Do they only work on land or do they also work e.g. while flying?

This is the exact wording:
A wearer who has at least 5 ranks in Perform (dance) accesses the true benefi t of the slippers of battledancing. As long as he uses his base land speed to move (a fly, swim, burrowing, or climb speed), he gains a +2 insight bonus on initiative checks. If he moves at least 10 feet as part of a move action, he can use his Charisma modifier instead of his Strength or Dexterity modifi er for attack rolls and damage rolls with one-handed or light weapons (both melee and ranged).

It's a bit confusing, because it first says "base land speed", but then adds "a fly", etc. I believe I have read some opinions that its an error and that it intended to say "not a fly...", but I think it has never been errated. So by RAW, apparently the movement mode is irrelevant.

And then also, the movement mode is only mentioned for the first part, where the wearer could gain the initiative bonus. For the second part, where she would gain his Charisma bonus to attack and damage rolls, it is only relevant that he moves 10 feet as part of the move action (no charging, no Travel Devotion, probably Flyby Attack if flying is allowed...)

What's your opinion? Can I fly and take advantage of all the benefits or am I restricted to land movement?

Venger
2017-09-11, 04:09 PM
any movement is fine

Remuko
2017-09-12, 03:48 AM
The slippers of battledancing allow you to get Charisma to attack and damage rolls, replacing strength, as long as you move at least 10 feet as part of a move action. Do they only work on land or do they also work e.g. while flying?

This is the exact wording:
A wearer who has at least 5 ranks in Perform (dance) accesses the true benefi t of the slippers of battledancing. As long as he uses his base land speed to move (a fly, swim, burrowing, or climb speed), he gains a +2 insight bonus on initiative checks. If he moves at least 10 feet as part of a move action, he can use his Charisma modifier instead of his Strength or Dexterity modifi er for attack rolls and damage rolls with one-handed or light weapons (both melee and ranged).

It's a bit confusing, because it first says "base land speed", but then adds "a fly", etc. I believe I have read some opinions that its an error and that it intended to say "not a fly...", but I think it has never been errated. So by RAW, apparently the movement mode is irrelevant.

And then also, the movement mode is only mentioned for the first part, where the wearer could gain the initiative bonus. For the second part, where she would gain his Charisma bonus to attack and damage rolls, it is only relevant that he moves 10 feet as part of the move action (no charging, no Travel Devotion, probably Flyby Attack if flying is allowed...)

What's your opinion? Can I fly and take advantage of all the benefits or am I restricted to land movement?

What I think its saying is you have to have a natural movement speed of one of the types to make use of them. Humans can swim but dont have a swim speed so unless they gain a base swim speed somehow they can't use it while swimming. thats how it reads to me at least.

Crake
2017-09-12, 04:50 AM
What I think its saying is you have to have a natural movement speed of one of the types to make use of them. Humans can swim but dont have a swim speed so unless they gain a base swim speed somehow they can't use it while swimming. thats how it reads to me at least.

Agreed, that's the way it read to me as well.