PDA

View Full Version : Shadar the Dark Djinn

Belzyk
2017-09-11, 04:50 PM
Hey all. So I am building a npc character for a upcoming game I will be running. I basically want to take Shadar the Dark Djinn from Ni no Kuni (ps3 game) and make him into a dnd character. What caster would work the best for him in the playgrounds mind? I was thinking a planar shepherd druid.

Thurbane
2017-09-11, 04:58 PM
Do you have a race in mind?

I'm not familiar with the character in question, but it sounds like a Khayal Genie (Tome of Magic page 162) might be a good fit? The are a race of Genies from the Plane of Shadow. CR 6/ECL 12.

Maybe with levels of Sha'ir (Dragon Compendium page 51)?

Belzyk
2017-09-11, 05:02 PM
Do you have a race in mind?

I'm not familiar with the character in question, but it sounds like a Khayal Genie (Tome of Magic page 162) might be a good fit? The are a race of Genies from the Plane of Shadow. CR 6/ECL 12.

Maybe with levels of Sha'ir (Dragon Compendium page 51)?

He's actually a really powerful magician that's old as hell. The Dark Djinn is just his title in the game. He's very human. And I was thinking human or elen (so he can be immortal persay) and mabye take we'd to history.

Sagetim
2017-09-11, 11:43 PM
I'm always a fan of people taking the Elan path to immortality, and as the GM you can refluff the race as you see fit (after all, if you don't want to have a shadow organization of socially awkward psychics hiding from everyone else in plain sight and pretending to be 'normal human bob' or what have you, well, the race still works as a 'I cast a spell for eternal youth').

I'll second the Sha'ir class if this character is supposed to be able to pull off all kinds of magical shenanigans (including things that normally wizards cannot do). It's a weird little class from Dragon Magazine, and it has a weird mechanic for knowing spells, and it has a little magical pet thing that it sends off to the elemental planes to fetch spells for it. Then the character gets to hold onto that spell as a spell known (you know, when the pet returns with it, assuming it didn't fail it's check to find it) and after a while the character just kind of, doesn't get to keep holding onto that spell. The point is that the Sha'ir has theoretical versatility, as long as he's not in the party and not working under time constraints, he's probably got better options to solve problems than most wizards. And he qualifies for single class entry into Dweomerkeeper, which is a hilariously broken prestige class (at least, the complete divine's web supplement version one is).

Sha'ir fills a role of having access to broad elemental powers, without the whole 'beholden to nature' thing that Druids have going on with them.

Ultimately, you probably know the character a lot better than Thurbane or I (I don't even have a ps3, so I've rather never played the game in question). But if you can offer up more info about the character, what kinds of abilities you want to most emulate and what kinds of personality quirks and characteristics you most want to hold onto, and possibly integrate into the mechanics for the character, then I'm sure we can figure out something that works.

Belzyk
2017-09-12, 07:34 AM
I'm always a fan of people taking the Elan path to immortality, and as the GM you can refluff the race as you see fit (after all, if you don't want to have a shadow organization of socially awkward psychics hiding from everyone else in plain sight and pretending to be 'normal human bob' or what have you, well, the race still works as a 'I cast a spell for eternal youth').

I'll second the Sha'ir class if this character is supposed to be able to pull off all kinds of magical shenanigans (including things that normally wizards cannot do). It's a weird little class from Dragon Magazine, and it has a weird mechanic for knowing spells, and it has a little magical pet thing that it sends off to the elemental planes to fetch spells for it. Then the character gets to hold onto that spell as a spell known (you know, when the pet returns with it, assuming it didn't fail it's check to find it) and after a while the character just kind of, doesn't get to keep holding onto that spell. The point is that the Sha'ir has theoretical versatility, as long as he's not in the party and not working under time constraints, he's probably got better options to solve problems than most wizards. And he qualifies for single class entry into Dweomerkeeper, which is a hilariously broken prestige class (at least, the complete divine's web supplement version one is).

Sha'ir fills a role of having access to broad elemental powers, without the whole 'beholden to nature' thing that Druids have going on with them.

Ultimately, you probably know the character a lot better than Thurbane or I (I don't even have a ps3, so I've rather never played the game in question). But if you can offer up more info about the character, what kinds of abilities you want to most emulate and what kinds of personality quirks and characteristics you most want to hold onto, and possibly integrate into the mechanics for the character, then I'm sure we can figure out something that works.

Sha'ir actually sounds very close to how he works thanks guys

Grod_The_Giant
2017-09-12, 07:40 AM
Human Sha'ir with Wedded to History, then? (You don't want Elan for this, tho, Elans have a Cha penalty and Sha'ir run off Cha).

gkathellar
2017-09-12, 07:50 AM
You could always go for a Shadowcaster. Dark magic ahoy and whatnot.

DrMotives
2017-09-12, 08:14 AM
You could always go for a Shadowcaster. Dark magic ahoy and whatnot.

Shadowcaster could potentially work; I always advocate for the creator fixes to it though. He teleports around a lot while fighting him, so using the Step Into Shadows mystery to power the Dimensional Jaunt reserve feat would work. He has an attack that looks much like the 2nd level mystery Black Fire as well. Since he functions as an AoE blaster in game (final boss type character, naturally), he couldn't do that very well by RAW in D&D unless he had a bunch of wands to power his mysteries.

Thurbane
2017-09-12, 04:13 PM
Sha'ir actually sounds very close to how he works thanks guys

You're welcome. :smallbiggrin: