PDA

View Full Version : One of the most fun I had in 5e was playing... a Sorcerer

Marcloure
2017-09-11, 05:26 PM
Yes. And it happened today. I'm with the troupe that thinks poorly of the Sorcerer, but being a Favored Soul (twinned cleric spells) and having some luck, I had one of my funniest sessions ever.
My character, surnamed Zhu, is a support/controler Sorcerer Favored Soul. She is an Abyssal Tiefling (bastard of the Demon Prince of Undeath), and in that day I rolled for Magic Missiles and Spare the Dying for racial spells. Zhu is level 3, and I choose Twinned Spell as one of hers Metamagic.

At the game, our group is trying to escape from some recently abandoned Duergar ruins. At some point in a dark corridor, two Hook Horrors came to devour us, each from one side of the path. Profane Orcus, what a fight! I won initiative (for luck's reason, as always), and immediately blocked the path from behind with Web. Then, as my team has some humans, we could all fight in the torchlight and focus fire. We focused on the other Hook Horror while the frist was struggling to break free and move. At my next turn, bang, Twinned Guiding Bolt against both enemies. One of them was a crit, around 30 damage. The Battlemaster Fighter gave a free attack (maneuver) to the Rogue, who having advantage, for luck's sake, landed another critical hit. The fight was a piece of cake afterwards.

We continued to follow the path and reached the core of the ruined city. While my team was short-resting (I was unscratched), I casted Guindance on myself and, as I have dark vision, stealthy explored the area. Having found some left-to-die prisioners, I casted Friends, talked and convinced them to accompany me to my real friends. They were angry when found out that I used magic, but they couldn't take on us all, so they just accepted their situation. In my exploration, I also found the "greathall" and guided my team there.

Getting in there, we fought a group of undead and duergar. A lot of them. They were 16 if I remember well, no chance we could take them at once. I won initiative again, as usual, but couldn't cast Web here since the ceil was way high, and there were no walls close enough. Then, I casted Bless on the Fighter, the Rogue and the Ranger. Next round I had my Spiritual Weapon slashing, and still could cast Toll the Dead as an action. For the next rounds, I kept twin-cast Guiding Bolt at the two bosses until my spellslots/sorcery points exhausts, and hitting with the Spiritual Weapon. Eventually, the Fighter and the Ranger falls unconscious, but I stabilize them with Abyssal Arcana's (from Abyssal Tiefling) Spare the Dying while still kept hitting with the Spiritual Weapon. I think I killed 8 or 9 foes, including both bosses (we wanted to make one of them prisioner, but our sitiation was dire and my character had her demon blood pumping hot). I don't even know how, but we just won that fight. Well, my DM has a very generous rule for HP (roll, if the result is less than the mean, roll again until it's not. Being a Abyssal Tiefling Favored Soul, Zhu has 30 HP at level 3), so I think that balances his insane combats a bit.

The session ended shortly after that. Still, I had so much fun. My character, my lovely Tiefling, controlled the battlefield, buffed her allies, and bursted the abyss out of her foes. Twinned Spell + Guiding Bolt did a hack, and the Spiritual Weapon kept her dealing damage even when she was needed to stabilize her allies. Actually, everyone did great. Even though I haven't mentioned the Warlock until now, she was literally a meat shield and saved hard the team. In this last fight, with Armor of Agathys and Blade Ward, the Warlock just holded the frontlines for a long time after the fighter falled down.

Well, I just wanted to share this experience. While I still think the overall Sorcerer is kind of weak, the Favored Soul gained a lot of points with me. Ok, I had some luck and the right conditions, but I think the utility granted by some of the cleric spells (guidance, bless, and some yet to come spells) are very good, and when combined with the perks of metamagic, are a blast. As Zhu is a bastard of Orcus, I'm planning to get her the Summon Demons from the same UA that the Abyssal Tiefling came (That Old Black Magic). That is it, let us see how the future plays play.