PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sorcerer Archetypes - need help with balance and level 14, and 18 features.

8wGremlin
2017-09-11, 07:47 PM
Hey wondering if I can get some help with a home brew Sorcerer

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ByiVGsNqb (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ByiVGsNqb)

I need help with balance and the level 14, and level 18 abilities.
I know the devout, and hunter souls have some balancing issues with higher level spells so would like help there too, thanks!

I'd appreciate any feedback, Thank you.

polymphus
2017-09-11, 10:36 PM
"Some balancing issues" is quite an understatement; you're giving sorcerer access to basically every spell in the game. This one really needs a rewrite from the ground up.

Problems:

1) access to an entire spell list is almost impossible to balance. There are too many variables. You could do a land druid circle thing where each soul-type gives a list of specific extra spells?
2) double proficiency in all Charisma checks would be the strongest social buff in the entire game. Even Bard (the designated social guy AND skill monkey) doesn't get that without burning all his expertise on it.
3) you don't say what level most of this stuff happens at. Is soulbound manifestation level 1? Because that is crazy.

Stuff that's workable:

1) Soulbound Memories and Soulbound Aura both make sense from a background perspective and they play well together. Hey look, you're a tough guy with a buff spell -- it's a kinda cleric thing. Lots of archetypes are like little mini multiclasses, and this is a cute little sorc/cleric thing.

So how do we fix it? Well, how do you want this archetype to play?

A class has a fairly narrow window in which it excels, and an archetype has an even smaller one. Right now it's got a kinda support/buff feel to it, which is cool and different. I'd be tempted to use that when choosing spells: give the Devout Soul Bless etc.

8wGremlin
2017-09-12, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

I was basically extrapolating the Favoured soul, which has access to ALL Cleric spells and had the blessed countenance in on of the UA versions, so I pulled that across for the non-martial types of soul bind.
I wanted to give them something that would be as dramatic as extra attack is for a melee type.

I can see that may be limiting to one CHA based skill might be better, thanks for that.

I wanted to give the access, to Druid or Bard spells and then thought why not ranger, paladin or wizard , the sorcerer is still limited to the total number of spells known. But now has more versatility, being able to pick from other lists.

I feel that Sorcerers are just that, sources of magic regardless of which mechanic class list you have.

The Sorcerer only gets access to that one list plus the Sorcerers own list, versatility of choice, just like the favoured soul.

I did think that both Devotion, and Hunter would be a problem, due to only having a limited level selection, thus restricting the higher level spells, but thought that the bonus of getting access to potentially unique class spells and some spells early might offset that.

Thank you for your feedback on the Soulbound Memories and Soulbound Aura

Sorcerers do have a spell tax when it comes to defence mechanism, shield and mage armour, are common on non Draconic Sorcerer spell list. So i wanted the soulbounds to get something.

and thank you for reading it and commenting.