PDA

View Full Version : What happens if you true mind switch a summoned monster?

magicalmagicman
2017-09-11, 08:22 PM
After you true mind switch into a summoned elemental monolith, and the elemental monolith duration ends, do you return to the elemental monolith's plane in his body, does the true mind switch becomes undone, or do you just flat out die and the elemental monolith gets his body back before he returns to his home plane? Or fourth case, does the elemental monolith in my body return to the home plane and die while I remain on the material plane in the elemental monolith's body?

I'd like to true mind switch with an elemental monolith if I could XD.

Venger
2017-09-11, 08:35 PM
When the duration ends, do you return to wherever the creature was summoned from inside his body, does the whole thing revert, or do you just flat out die?

I'd like to true mind switch with an elemental monolith if I could XD.

the duration is instantaneous, so it never ends and cannot be dispelled. no, no, and no.

no issue as long as you can keep it in place for 10 rounds (or manifest faster) and get your ml high enough to affect him in the first place

Sleven
2017-09-11, 09:05 PM
Summoned creatures of the Summon Monster line aren't the real thing, so it's not possible. You'd want to use a Conjuration (calling) spell like Gate or Planar Binding.

magicalmagicman
2017-09-11, 09:10 PM
Summoned creatures of the Summon Monster line aren't the real thing, so it's not possible. You'd want to use a Conjuration (calling) spell like Gate or Planar Binding.

They are the real thing though. Dimensional travel prevention stuff stops summoning spells and the creature is actually transported, and when they die it takes 24 hours for them to respawn.

Sleven
2017-09-11, 09:28 PM
They are the real thing though. Dimensional travel prevention stuff stops summoning spells and the creature is actually transported, and when they die it takes 24 hours for them to respawn.

While the Summoning spell descriptor on the SRD is similar to what you're saying, for some reason I'm recalling the fluff being that they were a facsimile of the real thing (otherwise they would actually die and their spells would stay in effect).

magicalmagicman
2017-09-11, 09:29 PM
the duration is instantaneous, so it never ends and cannot be dispelled. no, no, and no.

no issue as long as you can keep it in place for 10 rounds (or manifest faster) and get your ml high enough to affect him in the first place

I misread your response. You misread my post XD.

I meant, after you true mind switch into a summoned elemental monolith, and the elemental monolith duration ends, do you return to the elemental monolith's plane in his body, does the true mind switch becomes undone, or do you just flat out die and the elemental monolith gets his body back before he returns to his home plane? Or fourth case, does the elemental monolith in my body return to the home plane and die?

Editing 1st post.

Crake
2017-09-11, 09:36 PM

They also respawn completely back to normal, despite whatever may have happened to them (the 24 hours thing only applies if they "died"). When the summon duration is over, the elemental's body, and it's consciousness return to their home plane and are re-formed as normal. Meanwhile, your body now has no consciousness, and your consciousness now has no body, so the appropriate thing would be that you die.

Nothing that happens to a summoned monster is permanent, even instantaneous stuff, not mind rape, not true mind switch, not the damage to a fireball, nothing.

RoboEmperor
2017-09-11, 09:39 PM
Just buy a scroll of gate and avoid this debate. You're already buying a level 9 scroll/wand, so why not a level 9 scroll?

Monoliths are 36hd however, so you'll need a sorcerer-crafted scroll for a CL of 18 gate.

magicalmagicman
2017-09-11, 09:47 PM
They also respawn completely back to normal, despite whatever may have happened to them (the 24 hours thing only applies if they "died"). When the summon duration is over, the elemental's body, and it's consciousness return to their home plane and are re-formed as normal. Meanwhile, your body now has no consciousness, and your consciousness now has no body, so the appropriate thing would be that you die.

Nothing that happens to a summoned monster is permanent, even instantaneous stuff, not mind rape, not true mind switch, not the damage to a fireball, nothing.

Your reasoning is solid.

Just buy a scroll of gate and avoid this debate. You're already buying a level 9 scroll/wand, so why not a level 9 scroll?

Monoliths are 36hd however, so you'll need a sorcerer-crafted scroll for a CL of 18 gate.

Ok. Omnimental seems more fun than a monolith who is restricted to terrain types and they are 32hd. Can't use a sorcerer scroll though because I'm a cleric, though I could always ask for a custom made scroll at a higher CL.