PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Tiefling-gnome crossbreeding?

spindlyjohnny
2017-09-11, 10:16 PM
I'm currently DMing a heavily homebrewed 5e campaign which is very heavily focused on roleplaying. One of my players, who plays a gnome rogue, texted me a little while ago and asked about the possibility of her character becoming pregnant. I saw no problem with the concept, as long as she took it easy (I've got to rewrite some aspects of the campaign but that's for another day). Now she's just announced to the rest of the party that she's pregnant with twins, and the father is a tiefling. I've already greenlighted the kids, and my party literally does not give a f:smallannoyed:ck about cross-breeding tables, but I've got to describe what the NPC children look like when they arrive and neither of us have the faintest clue what half-tiefling/half-gnome children would look like. One of our other players suggested "stubby horns gnome ears cute child". Does anybody else have any ideas?

GalacticAxekick
2017-09-12, 12:25 AM
I'm currently DMing a heavily homebrewed 5e campaign which is very heavily focused on roleplaying. One of my players, who plays a gnome rogue, texted me a little while ago and asked about the possibility of her character becoming pregnant. I saw no problem with the concept, as long as she took it easy (I've got to rewrite some aspects of the campaign but that's for another day). Now she's just announced to the rest of the party that she's pregnant with twins, and the father is a tiefling. I've already greenlighted the kids, and my party literally does not give a f:smallannoyed:ck about cross-breeding tables, but I've got to describe what the NPC children look like when they arrive and neither of us have the faintest clue what half-tiefling/half-gnome children would look like. One of our other players suggested "stubby horns gnome ears cute child". Does anybody else have any ideas?Tieflings normally have human children, not tiefling children.

Human-elf and human-orc hybrids are pretty intuitive, like how horses and donkeys make mules or how different breeds of dogs produce crossbreeds. But being a tiefling is like catching a hereditary disease or recessive gene. It can skip generations, and in fact, it normally does.

Tiefling + human = human
Tiefling + elf = half-elf.
Tiefling + orc = half-orc.

And presumably, tiefling + gnome = half-gnome.

If, out of sheer luck, the half-gnome is manifests tiefling traits, they would manifest the same way humans do: any combination of horns, fangs, claws, tails, vestigial wings, discoloured skin or eyes, smell of sulfur, or whathaveyou. I think the more important question is, what does a half-gnome look like?

Nifft
2017-09-12, 03:42 AM
I'm currently DMing a heavily homebrewed 5e campaign which is very heavily focused on roleplaying. One of my players, who plays a gnome rogue, texted me a little while ago and asked about the possibility of her character becoming pregnant. I saw no problem with the concept, as long as she took it easy (I've got to rewrite some aspects of the campaign but that's for another day). Now she's just announced to the rest of the party that she's pregnant with twins, and the father is a tiefling. I've already greenlighted the kids, and my party literally does not give a f:smallannoyed:ck about cross-breeding tables, but I've got to describe what the NPC children look like when they arrive and neither of us have the faintest clue what half-tiefling/half-gnome children would look like. One of our other players suggested "stubby horns gnome ears cute child". Does anybody else have any ideas?

Mix up the standard Gnome traits with some vaguely Fiendish traits.

Or, just make a new sub-race:

Sulfur Gnome
As a gnome touched by the nine hells, you have a natural cunning and cruelty beyond that of other gnomes.

Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 1.
Hellish Resistance. You have resistance to fire damage.
Infernal Legacy. You know the thaumaturgy cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast the detect thoughts spell once per day. Once you reach 5th level, you can also cast the suggestion spell once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.