PDA

View Full Version : New Custom Character Sheets - Color Coded

Sombrenote
2007-08-12, 09:40 PM
These are the sheets downloadable.

Printable Pen and Paper Sheet
http://static.scribd.com/docs/h9v0acar2cy2w.pdf
Updated 8/18/07

Fillible Character Sheet (Needs Adobe Acrobat to save fills)
http://static.scribd.com/docs/k7894uah3ery3.pdf
Updated 8/18/07

Spell Sheets
http://static.scribd.com/docs/2krub97ks1bk6.pdf

This is the place were the links are about sheet design and coding discussion.
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?p=13168491#post13168491

REMEMBER: These sheets are not complete and are often updated with better coding. The fillible sheets especially. Updates coming soon.

My scribd profile.
http://www.scribd.com/people/view/45070-sombrenote

illathid
2007-08-12, 10:35 PM
Wow. I like those, they fit a lot of info in 2 pages.

adanedhel9
2007-08-12, 11:12 PM
Damn, those are nice-looking sheets.

One of these days I'm going to finish up my own sheets, but until then, I'm prefering these over the the standard sheets.

Personally, I'd prefer more room for free-form notes, but I could just print these at reduced size and write in the margins.

Citizen Joe
2007-08-12, 11:32 PM
One thing that I've noticed is that almost none of the fill in sheets that I've seen have a good method of dealing with multiclassed characters. I'm thinking that a third page for advancement history would be in order.

Sombrenote
2007-08-13, 12:54 AM
Well what kind of ideas to do you have for multiclass characters? I always just added the extra feats, abilities, and spells. It was never something difficult to deal with that I had to have a lot of organizational space on a character sheet. I have thought about adding a 3rd sheet but the design was only ever supposed to be 2 pages. It is a two sheet design and had to be a stand alone, but there could be an edition for people who desired it.

I have seen so many extremely poor sheets that people prefer, and I must admit I can not see the value in them. Endless boxes over 4 pages of bland black and white paper, flipping endlessly to find whatever information, which is spread throughout a labyrinth of inefficiency, redundancy, and non use.

zombie
2007-08-13, 01:27 AM
wow, nice ones. color-coding seems really useful.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-08-13, 03:59 AM
They look nice (although I would have preferred to have the spell sheets in a two column format). :smallsmile:

I will give it a test run as soon as I get a chance.

Citizen Joe
2007-08-13, 07:39 AM
Well, there's a few types of 'sheets' you might need.
1) The game session sheet. This has your current status, level, equipment (maybe on the reverse), etc.
2) A record keeping sheet. This logs your experience points and advancement progression. Which levels you took, which feats, how you used your attribute bonus, etc. This may be better kept in the DM's hands
3) Worksheets... These might have your spell lists, rations, ammunition, etc. These will show a lot of use during the adventure allowing you to track your resources.

As far as multiclassing goes, you'll never be able to fully prepare a sheet considering all of the base and PrC's out there with more every day. However, you might be able to provide dropdowns with most of the standard classes. The rest of the 'build form' would probably indicate standard increases like the saves for that specific level, BAB, HD/hp, skill points, maybe an encrypted 2 digit Hex key to indicate class skills (this is complex for people but easy for computers). Then have another section for feats and special abilities gained at that level. It is a huge nasty hairball, I know, but that's probably why I've never seen a good implementation of multiclassing on these kind of sheets.

Ikkitosen
2007-08-13, 07:51 AM
For a while I've been looking for a customisable sheet where you can select a number of boxes (like for if you have rage, or tuning, or spells or whatever) and make your sheet with them. Then whatever multiclass combo you make you can create the correct sheet just by arranging the boxes (fundamental ones plus optionals based on your classes) to make the final sheet.

MariettaGecko
2007-08-13, 08:18 AM
I've actually seen a character sheet for Excel that I really like. It's called Timpani, and has everything built in, including the ability to easily multiclass. The only downsides I have found thus far are that you MUST use Excel to access it and if you are going to use most classes which are not in the SRD, you'll need to input the data into the spreadsheet.

Overall, however, this is a really neat sheet, as it helps keep track of all the various bonuses and penalties you would get from multiple weapons or whatever, and has built-in rollers and whatnot for various skills or powers. Additionally, it has a built-in tool to keep track of spell time periods.

It might be worth looking this up on Google.

nerulean
2007-08-13, 08:19 AM
For a while I've been looking for a customisable sheet where you can select a number of boxes (like for if you have rage, or tuning, or spells or whatever) and make your sheet with them. Then whatever multiclass combo you make you can create the correct sheet just by arranging the boxes (fundamental ones plus optionals based on your classes) to make the final sheet.

That is a really good and astonishingly obvious idea.

Ikkitosen
2007-08-13, 08:22 AM
That is a really good and astonishingly obvious idea.

Thanks :smallsmile: I always get annoyed when you have unused boxes on a sheet, and many sheets seem to try to cater for every possible ability which is just inefficient!

RTGoodman
2007-08-13, 01:07 PM
Excellent sheet! Next time I introduce new players to the game, I may use this sheet. The organization of the skill section is awesome, and I particularly like the AC section also. And for some reason, the "2Legs/4+ Legs" option made me giggle.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-08-13, 01:36 PM
The current 4 page WotC sheet I find clunky and ponderous compared to this sheet. Well done! The spell sheet could be useful to a psion or sorcerer, but for wizards I think I'll still settle for some graph paper, considering the sheer number of spells they can tote around. The color coding's a nice addition; I could see this being of particular use to those new to the game.

Iudex Fatarum
2007-08-13, 02:47 PM
I like what I see. I do think that keeping track of what hp for what level is useful, (how much HP loss results from a level loss) but otherwise its great and I can just write that on the back. I find especialy with my highlevel characters there is never enough room to put in weapons especialy if they are unusual ones with lots of notes.

Sombrenote
2007-08-13, 04:55 PM
Excellent sheet! Next time I introduce new players to the game, I may use this sheet. The organization of the skill section is awesome, and I particularly like the AC section also. And for some reason, the "2Legs/4+ Legs" option made me giggle.

Yes the 2 and 4 legs thing is only on the fillable, because that along with size and strength matter when finding loads, which the sheet is quit good and auto calculating.

I think the AC things was something I had never seen before and decided to add it. I think it really helps people understand what those things are.

Ranis
2007-08-13, 05:27 PM
I approve of these sheets. Very nice.

Tokiko Mima
2007-08-17, 03:16 PM
Well done character sheet! Thank you very much! :smallsmile:

DraPrime
2007-08-17, 05:23 PM
Those are sick. I'm using that for my next character.

Shades of Gray
2007-08-17, 07:39 PM
I'm having trouble filling in the ability scores on the sheet. How do you do this?

Sombrenote
2007-08-17, 07:59 PM
Only the boxes at the right are the ones you fill.

Mod Score Temp Base

You can change the base value, and add the temp value. Score, and Mod are auto-calced.

Remember, you need adobe acrobat to save your PDF.

jaqueses
2007-08-17, 08:10 PM
Only thing I notice missing is a spot to put a weapon's or armor's weight. Other than that they look perfect.

Probably just put it in gear storage, but I just prefer seeing it amongst the other stuff for it.

Sombrenote
2007-08-17, 09:22 PM
Only thing I notice missing is a spot to put a weapon's or armor's weight. Other than that they look perfect.

Yes it does. As you suspected I made the weight place in the back where you ware the weapon. So if you use a pole arm in your right hand, or something like that you put its weight where you use it. Or you could put it on the back, or in the hand. Putting weights on the front was not really a clean option when the equipment section is so detailed.

jaqueses
2007-08-17, 09:33 PM
Ok, just checking. It's always good to know what the designer was thinking when they made it.

And thank you for the quick response.

Sombrenote
2007-08-17, 09:59 PM
your welcome. I can assure you i was thinking, it is just not always a safeguard from messing things up badly.

Foolosophy
2007-08-18, 03:31 AM
Great work, I am definently going to use the spell and character sheets.

Shades of Gray
2007-08-18, 10:06 PM
I tried that but it still doesn't work. is it Mac compatible? Also none of the base saves work for my Mac. Btw i'm using the one that says fillable, not the pen and paper one.

Sombrenote
2007-08-19, 01:46 AM
Wow.. Sorry. I have no idea how to make it mac compatible. Perhaps better mac software? I have no idea why an Adobe product would not work just as well for a mac. They usually are MADE for macs.

Gralamin
2007-08-19, 01:59 AM
I tried that but it still doesn't work. is it Mac compatible? Also none of the base saves work for my Mac. Btw i'm using the one that says fillable, not the pen and paper one.

You might be misunderstanding what she said.

When you look across, there is mod, and score. Score = Temp + Base. Select whats in Base and change it.

If this doesn't work, I don't know what will.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-08-19, 02:13 AM
Spell sheets are cute, but I use SpellGen 2 (http://pigmentia.net/spellgen/) to make my spell sheets. It does all the calculations and everything for me.

I do like the character sheets, particularly the color coding. I shall likely use them frequently in my games.

Sombrenote
2007-11-28, 07:58 PM
bump bump bump

zaei
2007-11-28, 09:25 PM
Great looking sheet. I had to scale it down to 90% to get it to print without chopping the edges off, though.

I dunno how you'd fit it in, but somewhere to put a usual full attack routine would be awesome.

I was just playing around with the fillable sheet with Preview on my mac, and it was pretty wonky. The color coding didn't work, and I don't think any of the calculations were working. I could save the sheet, though =]

kjones
2007-11-28, 10:42 PM
For the other Mac users in this thread, are you opening it with Adobe Acrobat Reader or with Preview, which is probably the default? It doesn't work in preview, but it works in Acrobat for me. (Which is a free download)