PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Elf-Lord (elven prestige class)

rferries
2017-09-12, 03:23 AM
Inspired by NothingAbnormal's Lord Smith of Avefrule class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?524054-The-Lord-Smith-of-Avefrule) and Elven-Lord template (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?521894-The-Elven-Lords-(epic-template)).

Elf-Lord
https://i.imgur.com/nKrE7MY.png
The wisest and fairest of the Fair Folk.

A Mary-Sue prestige class for the most Mary-Sue race :D Can be a benign Elrond/Galadriel-type, or a malevolent Unseelie drow-type. MAD as heck, so you should have godlike stats before you enter it.

Prerequisites:
To become an Elf-Lord, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Alignment
Any chaotic.

Race
Elf.

Feats
Animal Affinity, Magical Aptitude, Weapon Finesse, plus any one item creation feat.

Special
Bardic Knowledge or Lore class feature, Wild Empathy class feature.

Hit Die: d8

Class Skills
The Elf-Lord's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language (None), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).

Skill Points per Level: 8 + Int modifier

Elf-Lord

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special
Spellcasting

1st

+1

+2

+2

+2

Elven Lore,
Superior Wild Empathy

+1 arcane/+1 divine

2nd

+2

+3

+3

+3

Unearthly Grace
+1 arcane/+1 divine

3rd

+3

+3

+3

+3

Elven Paragon (+2)
+1 arcane/+1 divine

4th

+4

+4

+4

+4

Master Artisan
+1 arcane/+1 divine

5th

+5

+4

+4

+4

Enchanted
+1 arcane/+1 divine

6th

+6

+5

+5

+5

Elven Paragon (+4)
+1 arcane/+1 divine

7th

+7

+5

+5

+5

Woodland Stride
+1 arcane/+1 divine

8th

+8

+6

+6

+6

Fey Armour
+1 arcane/+1 divine

9th

+9

+6

+6

+6

Elven Paragon (+6)
+1 arcane/+1 divine

10th

+10

+7

+7

+7

Elf-King/Queen
+1 arcane/+1 divine

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Elf-Lord.

Weapon and Armour Proficiencies
Elf-Lords are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with all exotic weapons relating to elves.

Elf-Lords are proficient with all types of armour, and with shields (including tower shields). An Elf-Lord ignores the arcane spell failure chance of armour and shields, provided they are forged from mithral.

Spells
When a new Elf Lord level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in any one arcane spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class and any one divine spellcasting class she belonged to previously. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that she adds the level of Elf-Lord to the level of whatever other arcane spellcasting class and divine spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly. If a character had more than one arcane spellcasting class or more than one divine spellcasting class before she became an Elf-Lord, she must decide to which class he adds each level of Elf-Lord for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Elven Lore (Ex)
Levels of Elf-Lord stack with levels of classes that grant Bardic Knowledge or Lore for the purpose of determining the strength of those abilities.

Superior Wild Empathy (Ex)
Levels of Elf-Lord stack with levels of classes that grant Wild Empathy for the purpose of determining the strength of that ability. An Elf-Lord gains a +6 racial bonus on Wild Empathy checks, and may use it to influence the attitudes of elementals, fey, plants, and vermin in the same way she would a magical beast.

Unearthly Grace (Su)
At 2nd level, an Elf-Lord adds her Charisma modifier as a bonus on all her saving throws, and as a deflection bonus to her Armor Class.

Elven Paragon (Su)
Beginning at 3rd level, an Elf-Lord gains a +2 bonus to her Charisma, Dexterity, and Wisdom scores. This bonus increases to +4 at 6th level, and to +6 at 9th level.

Master Artisan (Ex)
At 4th level, an Elf-Lord gains Master Artisan (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?534896-Master-Artisan-(feat-for-better-masterwork-bonuses)&p=22340347#post22340347) as a bonus feat.

Enchanted (Ex)
At 5th level, an Elf-Lord gains Enchanted (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?534772-A-few-simple-feats-(Enchanted-Flight-Insightful-Strike)&p=22336997#post22336997) as a bonus feat.

Woodland Stride (Ex)
Starting at 7th level, an Elf-Lord may move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at her normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. However, thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that are enchanted or magically manipulated to impede motion still affect her.

Fey Armour (Su)
At 8th level, an Elf-Lord gains damage reduction 10/cold iron and spell resistance equal to her character level +10. This spell resistance never applies against beneficial spells.

Elf-King/Queen (Su)
At 10th level, an Elf-Lord can use speak with animals, speak with plants, stone tell, and commune with nature at will (caster level equal to her character level).

Furthermore, she ignores any aging penalties to her physical ability scores, never dies of old age, and benefits from constant death ward and freedom of movement effects.

Finally, any creature within 30 feet that looks at the Elf-Lord must succeed on a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 her character level + her Charisma modifier) or be affected by charm monster is she is good-aligned or fear if she is evil-aligned (caster level equal to her character level). An Elf-Lord that is neither good nor evil may choose either effect, but may not change her decision unless her alignment changes.

nonsi
2017-09-12, 05:18 AM

You might wanna take something into consideration.

1. Cloistered Cleric grants Bardic Knowledge.
2. (Familiar + Scribe Scroll) > (Wild Empathy). It wouldn't be too far fetched to assume that a player cen get his DM to approve that swap.

The above opens up entry into Elf-Lord at 3rd level w/ full BAB and dual fullcasting.

Nifft
2017-09-12, 05:27 AM
Even if you had to suffer Ranger 1 / Bard 1 for whatever reason, it's darn easy to do something like...

Ranger 1 / Bard 1 / Wizard 1 / Cloistered Cleric 1 / Elf-Lord 10 / Mystic Theurge 6 which gets youlevel 9 spells in both Wizard and Cleric.

Westhart
2017-09-12, 07:22 AM
I have to say that these are great... however would make this a NPC class just so the DM can balance powerwise...

rferries
2017-09-12, 07:02 PM

You might wanna take something into consideration.

1. Cloistered Cleric grants Bardic Knowledge.
2. (Familiar + Scribe Scroll) > (Wild Empathy). It wouldn't be too far fetched to assume that a player cen get his DM to approve that swap.

The above opens up entry into Elf-Lord at 3rd level w/ full BAB and dual fullcasting.

Yep, Cloistered Cleric was an oversight on my part! I may have to add another prerequisite so that it HAS to be bardic lore... on the other hand, Cloistered Cleric is a variant rule so the DM can simply say "No" (same for the swap houserule you mentioned).... on the third hand, Cloistered Cleric totally fits Elrond's flavour... hmmm!

Something to note is that Cloistered Cleric is a divine class, so Elf-Lord will only advance one of the cleric, druid, or ranger spellcasting if you don't also take an arcane class.

Even if you had to suffer Ranger 1 / Bard 1 for whatever reason, it's darn easy to do something like...

Ranger 1 / Bard 1 / Wizard 1 / Cloistered Cleric 1 / Elf-Lord 10 / Mystic Theurge 6 which gets youlevel 9 spells in both Wizard and Cleric.

However, if you're willing to do such an elaborate build I think you've earned the right to powerful magic at high levels (considering you'll be a "jack of all trades, master of none" for much of your early adventuring career). And for campaigns where you start out at high levels, your DM can simply rule you haven't earned the right to use the class.

I have to say that these are great... however would make this a NPC class just so the DM can balance powerwise...

Ideally I'd want it accessible to PCs... though perhaps it is too easy to get in.

nonsi
2017-09-12, 09:23 PM
Btw, by my impression, Elrond and Galandriel were as lawful as they ever get. Both resisted the one ring with impressive self restraint.

dethkruzer
2017-09-13, 12:27 AM
An interesting concept, but far too powerful with far too few pre-requisites that I'd ever let a PC use it. In fact if a player were to bring this to the table, I'd probably smack them upside the head with the DMG.

You've got one feat in tax, and a single arguably low powered ability and another powerful one as requirements. And these get you a base attack and save frame to die for, double full casting progression, and class features on every level.

rferries
2017-09-13, 02:25 AM
Btw, by my impression, Elrond and Galandriel were as lawful as they ever get. Both resisted the one ring with impressive self restraint.

I suppose it could be argued that they were too "free-spirited" (read: chaotic) for the Ring, a la Paladins of Freedom, but I actually agree with you. The chaotic requirement for the prestige class was just added because the quintessential DnD elves are meant to be chaotic good (or chaotic evil, for drow), so their Elf-Lords should be too. I'm definitely mixing and matching between settings, haha!

An interesting concept, but far too powerful with far too few pre-requisites that I'd ever let a PC use it. In fact if a player were to bring this to the table, I'd probably smack them upside the head with the DMG.

You've got one feat in tax, and a single arguably low powered ability and another powerful one as requirements. And these get you a base attack and save frame to die for, double full casting progression, and class features on every level.

Fair enough. I've upped it to 3 feat taxes, plus an item creation feat (to forge Rings or Phials/Mirrors of Galadriel nyuk nyuk nyuk!), so the cheesiest way I can think of to enter now is:

Druid 1/Wizard 6/Loremaster 1/Elf-Lord 10/Mystic Theurge 2 - Druid 13th/Wiz 19th casting, but no benefit from Charisma.

Alternatively:

Druid 1/Sorcerer 6/Loremaster 2/Elf-Lord 10/Mystic Theurge 1 -Druid 12th, Sorcerer 19th.

However the bard/ranger build I had envisioned earlier is even less viable now... c'est la vie!

Westhart
2017-09-13, 08:26 AM
Ideally I'd want it accessible to PCs... though perhaps it is too easy to get in.

Hmm, not sure I like your prerequisite feats... I would replace animal affinity and magical aptitude with either diff feats or skill requirements: Handle animal 13(?) and Spellcraft/UMD 13 (?) would set the bar at 10th...

nonsi
2017-09-13, 01:30 PM
Druid 1/Wizard 6/Loremaster 1/Elf-Lord 10/Mystic Theurge 2 - Druid 13th/Wiz 19th casting, but no benefit from Charisma.

Alternatively:

Druid 1/Sorcerer 6/Loremaster 2/Elf-Lord 10/Mystic Theurge 1 -Druid 12th, Sorcerer 19th.

However the bard/ranger build I had envisioned earlier is even less viable now... c'est la vie!

Nice. You actually managed to spell out "Elrond" and "Galandrial" in multiclassing :smallbiggrin:
I like the tradeoff between faster spellcasting progression and Charisma benefits. Gives players room to maneuver how they want to put their character-build resources to use.

And IMO, Elrond wasn't particularly charismatic, but he was a scholar, a healer and a master crafter.

rferries
2017-09-13, 02:17 PM
Hmm, not sure I like your prerequisite feats... I would replace animal affinity and magical aptitude with either diff feats or skill requirements: Handle animal 13(?) and Spellcraft/UMD 13 (?) would set the bar at 10th...

The feats were a brute-force fix (plus they're a greater sacrifice than skill ranks, tempering the power of the class). I'll debate adding other skills - Handle Animal has wild empathy synergy, yes; Spellcraft is thematic; Knowledge (arcana, nature, nobility and royalty) and Heal would be options too. Maybe add Leadership too?

Nice. You actually managed to spell out "Elrond" and "Galandrial" in multiclassing :smallbiggrin:
I like the tradeoff between faster spellcasting progression and Charisma benefits. Gives players room to maneuver how they want to put their character-build resources to use.

And IMO, Elrond wasn't particularly charismatic, but he was a scholar, a healer and a master crafter.

Thanks! Elrond was a leader of his people and diplomatic too, so I think he's fairly Charismatic.