PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Half-Dwarf/Mul

ChaosRonin
2017-09-12, 04:16 AM
Hey all, been working on this on and off for a while, originally based of Dark Suns Mul, I kept getting mixed feedback some say too powerful some not quite enough so I ended up doing a direct Half-Elf version which is at the bottom and tweaked my other one a bit.

Any and all feedback appreciated!

Home-breweryLink (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ryRUuD3ll)

Half-Dwarf [Mul] Traits

Ability Score Increase.Your Constitution score increases by 2, and two other ability scoresof your choice increase by 1.
Age. Half-dwarves mature the same as humans. They reach adulthood around the age of 20,and often live over 200 years.
Alignment. Half-dwarves tend to share the lawfull bent of their dwarven heritage, and tend to good than evil.
Size. A Half-Dwarf is taller than a Dwarf, but more bulkier than a Human.They are completely hairless, and are incredibly muscular. As tough as any Dwarf, Half-Dwarves are stronger because of their extra size.Fully grown Half-Dwarves stand at around 6' tall and weigh between 240 - 300 pounds. Your size is Medium.
Speed.Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision. Thanks to your Dwarf blood, you have superior vision in dark and dimconditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if itwere bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern colour in darkness, only shades of grey.
Dwarven Resilience. Dwarven Resilience. You have advantage on saving throws againstpoison, and you have resistance against poison damage.
Incredible Toughness. When you are affected by the blinded, deafened, frightened,paralysed, poisoned or stunned condition you can immediately end it.You can't use this feature again until you finish a longrest.
Tireless. You only need to sleep for 6 hours once every three days, instead ofonce every 24 hours. You also have advantage on Constitution savesagainst exhaustion.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Dwarvish.

Half-Dwarf Variants

Some half-dwarves have a racial trait in place of the Incredible Toughness trait. If your DM allows it, your half-dwarf character can forgo Incredible Toughness and instead take the trait Dwarven Combat Training or a trait based on your dwarf parentage:

A half-dwarf of hill dwarf descent can choose the hill dwarf's Dwarven Toughness.
A half-dwarf of mountain dwarf descent can choose the mountain dwarf's Dwarven Armour Training.
A half-dwarf of duergar descent can choose the duergar's Duergar Resilience or Duergar Magic.
A half-dwarf of kaladesh descent can choose the kaladesh's Artisan’sExpertise.

Version1.5 - 12-SEP-2017

Removed
-Adaptable. You gain proficiency with one skill and tool of your choice.
-Extra lanaguage

Changed
-Variant traits now replace the Incredible Toughness trait.
-Age/Alignment/Size reworded.
-+2 ASI now to CON instead of STR

Added
-Kaladesh variant based off the Dwarf race in MtG: Plane Shift:Kaladesh page 18.

Half-Dwarf Traits [Half-Elf Re-skin]

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2, and two other ability scores of your choice increase by 1.
Age. Half-dwarves mature the same as humans. They reach adulthood around the age of 20, and often live over 200 years.
Alignment. Half-dwarves tend to share the lawfull bent of their dwarven heritage, and tend to good than evil.
Size. A Half-Dwarf is taller than a Dwarf, but more bulkier than a Human.As tough as any Dwarf, Half-Dwarves are stronger because of their extra size. Fully grown Half-Dwarves stand at around 6' tall and weigh between 240 - 300 pounds. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision. Thanks to your Dwarf blood, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern colour in darkness, only shades of grey.
Dwarven Resilience. Dwarven Resilience. You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance against poison damage.
Skill Versatility. You gain proficiency in two skills of your choice.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Dwarvish and one other of your choice.

Half-DwarfVariants

Somehalf-dwarves have a racial trait in place of the Skill Versatility.trait. If your DM allows it, your half-dwarf character can forgoSkill Versatility. and instead take the trait Dwarven Combat Trainingor a trait based on your dwarf parentage:

Ahalf-dwarf of hill dwarf descent can choose the hill dwarf's Dwarven Toughness.
Ahalf-dwarf of mountain dwarf descent can choose the mountain dwarf's Dwarven Armour Training.
Ahalf-dwarf of duergar descent can choose the duergar's Duergar Resilience or Duergar Magic.
Ahalf-dwarf of kaladesh descent can choose the kaladesh's Artisan’s Expertise.

JBPuffin
2017-09-12, 07:32 AM
The first one is balanced and, in my opinion, a better translation of the mul. Stick to you guns with that one.

JNAProductions
2017-09-12, 08:32 AM
Mul looks good. Perhaps a few too many features, but nothing broken-just might warrant some playtesting and a minor nerf.

The Half-Elf reskin just doesn't FEEL very Half-Dwarven to me. But it also seems balanced.

And wait, just noticed that you can get the Mul's dwarven feature IN PLACE of Incredible Toughness. Yeah, seems fine.

ChaosRonin
2017-09-12, 04:50 PM
The first one is balanced and, in my opinion, a better translation of the mul. Stick to you guns with that one.

Thanks, I definatly feel the same way. I made the reskin too show the people that kept telling me to just make it like a the Half-Elf that the end result just doesnt feel right.

Mul looks good. Perhaps a few too many features, but nothing broken-just might warrant some playtesting and a minor nerf.

The Half-Elf reskin just doesn't FEEL very Half-Dwarven to me. But it also seems balanced.

And wait, just noticed that you can get the Mul's dwarven feature IN PLACE of Incredible Toughness. Yeah, seems fine.

I know the Mul is a bit loaded on features but Tireless is more ribbon than anything, I dont really expect it to matter much in the long run. As for the reskin, I agree it just feels flat to me. The Variant Traits all replace Incredible Toughness, I was originally thinking of replacing Dwarven Resiliance but I figured any of those other traits and Incredible Toughness together would be too powerfull.