PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Making a Zerth with the new UA gith.

Dankus Memakus
2017-09-12, 07:37 AM
So, I want to make a Zerth, I am now trying to find a class that properly fits this arcane semi priestly knight. I guess Arcana cleric is the best choice. Does anyone have ideas that for the flavor better? Help

nickl_2000
2017-09-12, 07:40 AM
I have no input in this that will be helpful, but are all these names starting to sound like they are out of a Dr. Suess book to anyone else?

There is gith that I'm with, but the Zerth has to much girth even though he is full of mirth.

Dankus Memakus
2017-09-12, 07:41 AM
I have no input in this that will be helpful, but are all these names starting to sound like they are out of a Dr. Suess book to anyone else?

There is gith that I'm with, but the Zerth has to much girth even though he is full of mirth.

You said you had no input and then you blow my mind with your poetic grandness.

Bobbyjackcorn
2017-09-12, 08:27 AM

Zerth isn't a type of person, he's a famous historical figure of the Gith.

Dankus Memakus
2017-09-12, 08:27 AM
Zerth isn't a type of person, he's a famous historical figure of the Gith.

No not Zerthimon, the Zerths, the knight guys that the githzerai have

Edit: forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Zerth

DarkKnightJin
2017-09-12, 08:28 AM

He said no input that would be helpful.
Which was true. Blowing your mind /= helpful.

And yes, I'm quite fun at parties.

nickl_2000
2017-09-12, 09:04 AM

There's a reason that my highest level character is a bard (I'm not sure what that reason is, but I know I had one in there somewhere).

As for classes, you could do a
-Celestial (June 5th UA) blade lock/ Paladin
-Seeker (non-divine faithful UA) blade lock / Paladin
-Valor Bard who worships Milil (maybe, this one feel weak to me).
-EK/Paladin (it fits the bill, but it would be extremely MAD)
-Battlemaster/Kensai Monk (I don't think it's what you are going for, but would certainly be interesting)

This is the best I've got, and I still make no guarantees of it's usefulness.

grumbaki
2017-09-12, 09:05 AM
One option: sun soul monk. Very arcane flavored. Throw radiant balls of energy at your foes. Take magical initiatiate for extra magical goodness. Make use of that +2wis along with the +1 AC.

Dankus Memakus
2017-09-12, 09:10 AM
One option: sun soul monk. Very arcane flavored. Throw radiant balls of energy at your foes. Take magical initiatiate for extra magical goodness. Make use of that +2wis along with the +1 AC.

I actually thought that as well, I can't seem to recall if Zerths wear armor though.

Edit: it is not a requirement

Dankus Memakus
2017-09-12, 09:12 AM
Kensai Monk

This might just be awesome on its own

qube
2017-09-12, 09:38 AM
So, I want to make a Zerth, I am now trying to find a class that properly fits this arcane semi priestly knight. I guess Arcana cleric is the best choice. Does anyone have ideas that for the flavor better? Helpconsidering

Within githzerai culture, zerths are those who mix arcane arts with other skills and powers — particularly martial or psionic ones.
Any githzerai who multiclasses or hybrids an arcane class with a non-arcane class can claim the honorific "zerth."
I'd say

eldritch knight
arcane trickster
elemental monk
?

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-09-12, 11:12 AM
If you want to make a really old-school-accurate Zerth, my recommendation would be to take the Githzerai race, take the Wizard (Bladesinger) class and Proficiency in Religion - remember, Zerths may follow the teachings of Zerthimon, but traditionally, githzerai are atheists and Zerthimon is respected as a secular teacher. The Bladesinger represents the original class "Zerth" (multiclassed Fighter/Mage) most purely, especially as githzerai had higher level limits in wizard (12) than they did in fighter (9).

Ventruenox
2017-09-12, 11:51 AM
I've been wanting to use the Horizon Walker Revised Ranger with a few levels of Immortal Mystic for this purpose, but it's brutally MAD. Maybe toss in Ritual Caster.

Dankus Memakus
2017-09-12, 02:53 PM
If you want to make a really old-school-accurate Zerth, my recommendation would be to take the Githzerai race, take the Wizard (Bladesinger) class and Proficiency in Religion - remember, Zerths may follow the teachings of Zerthimon, but traditionally, githzerai are atheists and Zerthimon is respected as a secular teacher. The Bladesinger represents the original class "Zerth" (multiclassed Fighter/Mage) most purely, especially as githzerai had higher level limits in wizard (12) than they did in fighter (9).

I thought about this but I dunno if I could convince my dm to do that

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-09-12, 03:23 PM
I thought about this but I dunno if I could convince my dm to do that

I don't understand what the problem is? Bladesinger is an official subclass released for the Wizard, and Religion is one of the skills you can take proficiency in with your first level in Wizard. Just take a githzerai for your race and bang, you have a historically accurate zerth.

MinotaurWarrior
2017-09-12, 03:48 PM
I don't understand what the problem is? Bladesinger is an official subclass released for the Wizard, and Religion is one of the skills you can take proficiency in with your first level in Wizard. Just take a githzerai for your race and bang, you have a historically accurate zerth.

It's an elf only sub class.

I think most DMs who accept UA should accept waving that requirement, but maybe not.

Dankus Memakus
2017-09-12, 10:18 PM

Blade singer is stupidly restricted to elves and we are kind of a by the book party (not that I'm complaining) so i doubt he will lift that. I would be better off taking a level of fighter and 19 of wizard

Dankus Memakus
2017-09-12, 10:19 PM
It's an elf only sub class.

I think most DMs who accept UA should accept waving that requirement, but maybe not.

We are only allowed races from UA, we had an incident with a powergamer ruining the game earlier this year so classes are banned

Edit: this was actually the players decision not the dm

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-09-12, 11:24 PM
Blade singer is stupidly restricted to elves and we are kind of a by the book party (not that I'm complaining) so i doubt he will lift that. I would be better off taking a level of fighter and 19 of wizard

The book does explicitly say, though, that you can ignore that whole stupid element.

strangebloke
2017-09-13, 08:53 AM
It's a sword coast prestige class. Subclass. Whatever. If he'd allow it at all outside of faerun I really don't understand his logic for still restricting it to elves.

But whatever. I frequently see these 'recreate x arcane warrior types...'

There are tons of options. Paladin for starters. Valor Bard for another. The fact is that 'martial abilities' as in weapon proficiencies are not that hard to come by in fifth.

grumbaki
2017-09-13, 09:33 AM
* Valor Bard immediately comes to mind. Probably your best bet.
* Eldrich Knight
* Paladin (with Magical Initiate for some wizard spells)
* 1 lvl dip fighter then wizard x