PDA

View Full Version : Looking for critique on slightly different build - bard/barb wrestler type

pygmybatrider
2017-09-12, 07:51 AM
So my last PC kicked the bucket and I'm in the process of building a replacement, starting at level 5.

Without further ado, I'd like to introduce El Jaguar, the Tabaxi Wrestler.

The basic thoughts of this build are 1) grappling/control/debuffing, and 2) using Animate Dead to summon a skeletal mariachi band. DM is letting me start with the Gauntlets of Ogre Strength, reflavoured of course as a Belt of Ogre Strength.

ATM I'm thinking first 5 into Lore Bard, point buying 15, 15, 15, 8, 8, 8, so starting stats will be:

19 Str (8 base, Belt of Ogre Strength)
18 Dex (15 + 2 racial + 1 ASI)
16 Con (15 + 1 ASI)
8 Int
8 Wis
16 Cha (15 + 1 racial)

Admittedly low HP (43) and AC (16) for a while, but that will be patched up in the next level or two.

Expertise in Athletics and Performance for a cool +10/+9.

Cantrips: Vicious Mockery, Friends, Light (because El Jaguar is always in the spotlight)
1st level: Sleep, Healing Word, Faerie Fire
2nd level: Blindness/Deafness, Enhance Ability, Hold Person
3rd level: Fear, Hypnotic Pattern

No Extra Attack, but plenty of ways to get advantage on grapples. Most of these spells can be reflavoured as something wrestling-related, ie Sleep is sprinting around putting choke holds on people, Blindness is poking their eye out, Hold Person is yelling at them and terrifying them into paralysis.

Tabaxi climbing speed works well to grab baddies by the head and then drop them from a height, as does bonus movement.

At level 6, take Animate Dead and Haste as my magical secrets for the mariachi band (his musical focus is a set of bonepipes that El Jaguar will juggle and transform into Don Juanito and the Handsome Sandstorms) and pseudo-extra Attack for one encounter a day.

At 7, start taking Barb levels, for Unarmored Defense, Rage (free advantage after/instead of using spell splots), DR from Bear totem, etc.

I think I like the look of it so far; the only temptation being to instead take 1st level in Barb for extra HP, proficiency in Con saves, and shields. It seems to make more sense on paper, but delays Don Juanito by a level.

As I'm writing this I've realised that I don't have the 13 Str required to multiclass into/out of Barb in the first place. I guess that means trying to get the DM to handwave that entirely, or try and rejig the stats.

Point Buy: 15, 15, 13, 11, 9, 8

19 Str (13 + Belt)
14 Dex (11 + 2 racial + 1 ASI)
16 Con (15 +1 ASI)
8 Int
9 Wis
16 Cha (15 + 1 racial)

which doesn't actually seem too bad - I lose some Dex skill/initiative bonuses, but can bank on medium armor + shield + 2 dex to cap out my AC at 18. It'd probably require the level 1 start in Barb though as I don't see a grappler lasting long with 14 AC. After that, max Con and then Cha, maybe Shield Master feat? Have to see how it plays out.

Anyway, that's my ramble. What do you guys think? All ideas/comments/critique appreciated.

nickl_2000
2017-09-12, 08:03 AM
So, it may not quite be what you are looking for, but if you start out with Barbarian you don't need the 13 strength required for multiclassing, you get unarmored defense immediately, and you get con prof for those concentration spells

Naanomi
2017-09-12, 08:04 AM
So, it may not quite be what you are looking for, but if you start out with Barbarian you don't need the 13 strength required for multiclassing, you get unarmored defense immediately, and you get con prof for those concentration spells
You need stats to multiclass out of class as well...

nickl_2000
2017-09-12, 08:07 AM
You need stats to multiclass out of class as well...

well crud there goes that idea then....

smcmike
2017-09-12, 08:22 AM
Looks good. The mariachi band is a nice touch. I didn't see Tavern Brawler in there, which seems necessary to really maximize the idea.

It's way better to start as Barbarian. Hit points and constitution saves are both good, and you'll get advantage on most dex saves anyways. Same number of skills, fewer musical proficiencies, medium armor proficiency.

If you stick with just 6 levels of Bard, your 20th level capstone can be Eagle Totemic Attunement, to come off the top rope.

Naanomi
2017-09-12, 09:03 AM
A friend played a similar character (mechanically) as battlemaster 5/lorebard 15... worked great, cutting words to insult the weakling in your grasp is spectacular

bid
2017-09-12, 09:13 AM
As I'm writing this I've realised that I don't have the 13 Str required to multiclass into/out of Barb in the first place. I guess that means trying to get the DM to handwave that entirely, or try and rejig the stats.

Point Buy: 15, 15, 13, 11, 9, 8

19 Str (13 + Belt)
14 Dex (11 + 2 racial + 1 ASI)
16 Con (15 +1 ASI)
8 Int
9 Wis
16 Cha (15 + 1 racial)
You can start 13 14 14 8 10 16, then get a Con ASI.