PDA

View Full Version : Is there any real defense versus psychic damage?

djreynolds
2017-09-12, 09:24 AM
Aside from potions or rings, is there any defense vs psychic damage?

High intelligence save.

RSP
2017-09-12, 09:27 AM

High intelligence save.

Mind Blank works pretty well.

qube
2017-09-12, 09:30 AM
monks at high level get resistance to all but force damage

Specter
2017-09-12, 09:35 AM
Great Old One Warlocks at level 10 too, IIRC.

Willie the Duck
2017-09-12, 09:47 AM

High intelligence save.

Well, as a damage type, even a high Int save is only relevant in those cases when it is called for (Vicious Mockery, for instance, is a Wis save). Psychic damage, as a general rule, works just like other damages-there are resistances to the saves and resistances or immunity to the damage type, they are just rarer. The offset is that the damage is usually lower. Fire and poison usually do the most damage, but the most number of things are resistant or immune. Psychic is the other end of the spectrum-very little is resistant or immune, but it often is doing d4s to other types 6s or 8s (and fire/poison's d!0s and 12s).

Jamesps
2017-09-12, 10:18 AM

I think Fiend Patrons also get a variable resistance at the same level that they can swap around for whatever they want (including psychic damage).

Waterdeep Merch
2017-09-12, 12:03 PM
Tin foil hats.

Ahem. I'd rely on saving throw buffs and temporary hitpoints. The mystic has a discipline that completely shuts it down for the entire party, too, in Intellect Fortress.

thoroughlyS
2017-09-12, 07:51 PM
Goblins from Plane Shift: Zendikar (https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/magic/Plane%20Shift%20Zendikar.pdf) get resistance to fire and psychic as a racial ability.

JumboWheat01
2017-09-12, 08:13 PM

Plus they reflect some of the damage back to the one trying to fry their brain. Makes things even less likely to try to use psychic damage on them.

djreynolds
2017-09-13, 07:49 AM
So really, until like level 10 or so, unless you have a ring or potion of resistance to psychic damage.... mind blank is an 8th level spell.... pscionic weapon is really dangerous.

This is asked because I have a feeling our mystic may turn on us.

Slipperychicken
2017-09-13, 08:53 AM
The psychic damage type is meant to have few specialized defenses against it, but it doesn't come up often and usually doesn't do all that much damage when it does come up. I wouldn't call it "really dangerous".

If you want to protect yourself from a psychic-dealing weapon, remember that it still takes an attack roll. Your armor class and hit points are always helpful against these.