PDA

View Full Version : Commanding an elder brain

daremetoidareyo
2017-09-12, 09:41 AM
I have been playing around with a Arcane Caster with the illithid bloodline and kin Mastery feats. But what I really want to do is figure out how to use commanding/ rebuking to gain control of an elder brain. Ideally by level 15.

Perhaps there is an alternative route?

Venger
2017-09-12, 10:44 AM
I have been playing around with a Arcane Caster with the illithid bloodline and kin Mastery feats. But what I really want to do is figure out how to use commanding/ rebuking to gain control of an elder brain. Ideally by level 15.

Perhaps there is an alternative route?

that is not a thing you can do.

you're probably better off tanking its saves and using normal mind control methods. what chassis are you using?

DrKerosene
2017-09-13, 11:44 PM
The best I can do is suggest you talk to your DM about a custom spell, or Domain, that is a variant on the various "rebuke elementals" "rebuke plants" "rebuke constructs" options.

To be fair though, Elder Brains control entire communities of Illithids. If you're successful, you're probably secretly the BBEG.

Thurbane
2017-09-14, 05:20 AM
Not exactly Command/Rebuke, but the Repel Aberration feat kind of works like this. A Druid 15 with pumped up Charisma and bonuses to Charisma checks (Admiral's Bicorne etc.) might be able to do it. Even if it doesn't the mental image of a hippie druid in a pirates hat giving a stern telling off to a giant brain is pretty hilarious, IMHO.

A Keeper of the Cerulean Sign 10 can Cleanse Aberration (which kind of/sort of works like destroying Undead), but again, not what OP is looking for.

If you're looking to dominate it with magic, put all the SR penetration and DC boosters on it that you can.

DrKerosene
2017-09-15, 05:07 AM
The Charletan PrC from Dragon Magazine has the ability to make others think they are under the effect of a spell, for a while, at DM discretion.

Could a boosted Bluff Check (and I guess Mind Blank and such) allow a PC to make the Elder Brain think it's been Dominated?