PDA

View Full Version : Adding damage from jumping

Papa_Smurf
2017-09-12, 09:55 AM
Alright, I'm running a game that one of my players has gotten ahold of an item that has temp given him incredible speed. Completely unreasonable, I know, but now his movement speed is 300. He adds his speed into his jump to do the generic falling damage trick. His jump now reads over 400. Yet what would the mechanics be for him to jump and slam into someone that is only 10 feet away? Not falling damage, kinda like a force push in reverse. Instead of an opponent being thrown into an object, he is throwing himself against an opponent. Or would it be like jumping and hitting the opponent, but the opponent takes the damage that would have been the calculated distance of the jump? He's trying to add the jump force into his attack or damage.

CharonsHelper
2017-09-12, 10:00 AM
Since you're already well into houserule territory, you could make something crazy. Or - (for a more balanced houserule) just allow him to use Shock Trooper for free when moving at least 30ft beforehand.

Papa_Smurf
2017-09-12, 10:25 AM
Nothing outside of normal rules yet.
Race: Fire Elemental, Savage Species
Template: Shadow, Lords of Madness
Gear: Horned Helm, Arms & Equipment Guide
Gear: Rapid Wrath, Ghostwalk

These are the main components that give him his speed.

Fire Elemental's base speed is 50. The Shadow Template multiplies his speed by 1.5. Making his speed 75. The Horned Helm doubles his speed, bringing it to 150. The Rapid Wrath doubles his speed again, toping him off at 300.

With a running start, speed adds to Jump checks. For every 10 feet beyond the player's race speed adds +4 to the jump.

Venger
2017-09-12, 10:35 AM
Alright, I'm running a game that one of my players has gotten ahold of an item that has temp given him incredible speed. Completely unreasonable, I know, but now his movement speed is 300. He adds his speed into his jump to do the generic falling damage trick. His jump now reads over 400. Yet what would the mechanics be for him to jump and slam into someone that is only 10 feet away? Not falling damage, kinda like a force push in reverse. Instead of an opponent being thrown into an object, he is throwing himself against an opponent. Or would it be like jumping and hitting the opponent, but the opponent takes the damage that would have been the calculated distance of the jump? He's trying to add the jump force into his attack or damage.

There is no existing mechanic for this. The ways to let jump help you with damage include leap attack and taerean battle jump

Nothing outside of normal rules yet.
Race: Fire Elemental, Savage Species
Template: Shadow, Lords of Madness
Gear: Horned Helm, Arms & Equipment Guide
Gear: Rapid Wrath, Ghostwalk

Fire Elemental's base speed is 50. The Shadow Template multiplies his speed by 1.5. Making his speed 75. The Horned Helm doubles his speed, bringing it to 150. The Rapid Wrath doubles his speed again, toping him off at 300.

With a running start, speed adds to Jump checks. For every 10 feet beyond the player's race speed adds +4 to the jump.
that may well increase his speed, but a high movement speed doesn't give you extra damage, nor does jumping on its own without feats. if he'd like jump to help him he might look into warblade or swordsage and taking some tiger claw maneuvers

Papa_Smurf
2017-09-12, 10:39 AM
So without adding more to his arsenal, he cant with the force of a figurative cannon ball into an opponents chest. I couldn't find the mechanic for this either.

Elkad
2017-09-12, 10:52 AM

Is speed multiplication defined somewhere? I'd use the standard rules that apply to damage without a written rule to the contrary. (double damage twice is triple damage, not quadruple) So he'd be at 50', plus 250%. 175'

Venger
2017-09-12, 10:58 AM
Is speed multiplication defined somewhere? I'd use the standard rules that apply to damage without a written rule to the contrary. (double damage twice is triple damage, not quadruple) So he'd be at 50', plus 250%. 175'

you're correct. standard rules apply

Darrin
2017-09-12, 11:46 AM
Is speed multiplication defined somewhere?

Yes. PHB p. 304. If you're multiplying something abstract, such as damage, then the screwy "additive multiplication" rules apply. If it's a real-world value, then you'll want to look at this sentence:

"When applying multipliers to real-world values (such as weight or distance), normal rules of math apply instead."

Since speed is a real-world value, you use standard multiplication.

If he's looking to add damage to a vertical jump, Roof-Jumper (Cityscape) can add +1d6 for each 10' you fall after the first.

Horizontal jump... hmmm. I think I'd be inclined to use the improvised weapon rules (Complete Warrior p. 159), and just use the PC's encumbered weight to determine how many Xd6. Make a ranged attack (using Dex bonus) with a -4 improvised penalty. The sticking point would be what action would it be... either a standard or full-round action, either way he'd probably be limited to one such attack per round. For simplicity's sake, call it a full-round action, he can move up to double his normal speed, has to end his movement with a Jump check into his target's square, and it provokes an AoO from the target (for either leaving a threatened square or entering the target's square). If the attack succeeds, damage is Xd6 based on weight, add x1.0 Str bonus to damage, and he falls prone in the preceding square. If he misses, roll 1d8 and scatter using the thrown weapon table in the PHB.

Papa_Smurf
2017-09-12, 12:23 PM
The improvised weapon rules, i can def see applying, as well as it being a ranged attack as a thrown weapon. Yet Dex bonuses being added to the attack when its not the characters Dex that really fuels the jump check kinda short changes it. His speed and jump checks are due to items, not a high Dex.

Venger
2017-09-12, 12:25 PM
The improvised weapon rules, i can def see applying, as well as it being a ranged attack as a thrown weapon. Yet Dex bonuses being added to the attack when its not the characters Dex that really fuels the jump check kinda short changes it. His speed and jump checks are due to items, not a high Dex.

None of these rules apply in this situation.

Papa_Smurf
2017-09-12, 12:25 PM
His jumps are Dex based instead of Str based due to the Agile Athlete feat.

Papa_Smurf
2017-09-12, 12:28 PM
So what rules do apply?

Darrin
2017-09-12, 12:29 PM

Dex bonus is an attack bonus for ranged attacks. That's why I mentioned it. I'd treat it essentially as a thrown weapon attack: Dex bonus on attack, Str bonus on damage. However, since we're sorta in houserules territory anyway, I'm not sure I'd quibble much over whether to use Dex or Str. He has to take the -4 improvised penalty because it's hard for me to imagine that someone can gain proficiency in throwing yourself at an opponent. And he should provoke at least one AoO, either for entering the opponent's square, or for leaving the threatened square just before that.

Papa_Smurf
2017-09-12, 12:30 PM
Throwing (jumping) his body (improvised weapon) against an opponent.

Venger
2017-09-12, 12:51 PM
Throwing (jumping) his body (improvised weapon) against an opponent.

that's not a thing

Zsaber0
2017-09-12, 01:00 PM
He needs that maneuver from Tome of Battle that let's you throw people a distance based on movement speed. The name escapes me right now though.

Venger
2017-09-12, 01:08 PM
He needs that maneuver from Tome of Battle that let's you throw people a distance based on movement speed. The name escapes me right now though.

you're probably talking about tornado throw, but movement speed doesn't affect the throw distance

Zsaber0
2017-09-12, 01:15 PM
you're probably talking about tornado throw, but movement speed doesn't affect the throw distance

The highest level throw maneuver has increased throw distance based on overall distance moved that round before the throw occures.

Zsaber0
2017-09-12, 01:21 PM
You make a trip and he is thrown 10 feat and get +2 to the trip for every 5 feet you moved. For every 5 you beat the check, you throw him 5 feet further and do more damage.

So it's not based on movement speed itself, just how far you moved in a turn.

Bebbit
2017-09-13, 09:02 AM
You make a trip and he is thrown 10 feat and get +2 to the trip for every 5 feet you moved. For every 5 you beat the check, you throw him 5 feet further and do more damage.

So it's not based on movement speed itself, just how far you moved in a turn.

So just have him run in a circle around the guy he wants to throw until he reaches his max, then throw. Like The Flash building momentum.

Papa_Smurf
2017-09-13, 08:24 PM
That is really slick, but that's a spell, and a high level one at that. Trying to find a mechanic that can work multiple times without any kind of drain like spells per day.

DrKerosene
2017-09-13, 11:06 PM
How has Dungeon Crasher not been mentioned yet? It doesn't do anything based on movement speed, but it's thematically related.

Being inside a physical wall, for various reason, forces a physical PC to move and take 1d6 damage per 5ft moved, no?

Falling damage is 1d6 per 10ft fallen, capped at 20d6. Same for crushing damage.

Why not allow something like 1d6 damage per 15-20ft moved before attacking?

How is their jump check over 400?

From my math, the PC is getting +108 to Jump, they only go about 30ft into the air, how are they avoiding their 3d6 falling damage? Also, if the PC weighs 250 lbs, that's only 5d6 damage extra.

Venger
2017-09-13, 11:30 PM
How has Dungeon Crasher not been mentioned yet? It doesn't do anything based on movement speed, but it's thematically related.

Being inside a physical wall, for various reason, forces a physical PC to move and take 1d6 damage per 5ft moved, no?

Falling damage is 1d6 per 10ft fallen, capped at 20d6. Same for crushing damage.

Why not allow something like 1d6 damage per 15-20ft moved before attacking?

How is their jump check over 400?

From my math, the PC is getting +108 to Jump, they only go about 30ft into the air, how are they avoiding their 3d6 falling damage? Also, if the PC weighs 250 lbs, that's only 5d6 damage extra.

dungeoncrashing someone into the floor is a proud tradition (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=12527123&postcount=173)

Amphetryon
2017-09-13, 11:34 PM
The Battle Jump Feat (Unapproachable East) might be a useful tool here.

torrasque666
2017-09-14, 12:18 AM
That is really slick, but that's a spell, and a high level one at that. Trying to find a mechanic that can work multiple times without any kind of drain like spells per day.
While Tornado Throw is a high level maneuver, it is different from a spell. Namely in that they are per encounter resources that you can recharge in the same encounter. Hell, you could do it every other turn. (use, regain maneuvers, use again, repeat)

Thurbane
2017-09-14, 04:56 AM
Maneuvers/Stances:

Claw At the Moon (Swordsage 2, warblade 2)
Death From Above (Swordsage 4, warblade 4)
Feral Death Blow (Swordsage 9, warblade 9)
Soaring Raptor Strike (Swordsage 3, warblade3)
Sudden Leap (Swordsage 1, warblade 1)
Swooping Dragon Strike (Swordsage 7, warblade 7)

Feats:

Battle Jump
Crush
Leap Attack
Mantis Leap
Raptor School
Roof-Jumper

Classes:

Blade Dancer 5

PrismCat21
2017-09-14, 09:37 AM
Once again it's Thurbane to the rescue!