PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Hole

Dragonmuncher
2007-08-12, 10:46 PM
So I was bored and browsing the SRD, and I saw this feat:

Psionic Hole: (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#psionicHole)

You are anathema to psionic creatures and characters.
Prerequisite

Con 15.

Benefit

When a foe strikes you in melee combat, the foe immediately loses its psionic focus, if any. Also, if you are the target of a power, the manifester of the power must spend an additional number of power points equal to your Wisdom bonus, or the power fails (all the power points spent on the power are still lost). This extra cost does not count toward the maximum power points a manifester can spend on a single power.
Special

You cannot take or use this feat if you have the ability to use powers (if you have a power point reserve or psi-like abilities).

This sounds like an amazing feat for anyone in a psionic campaign. Fighting against Psychic Warriors gets easier, and any Psion trying to manifest on you has to give up pp. The general thinking is that 2pp is equal to one spell level, right? So any high-wisdom character- Cleric, Monk, Paladin, Druid, Ranger, usually- could make very effective use of this feat.

Is it not as good as it seems to be? Or is it just a hidden gem? I don't think I ever see it on character sheets in the PbP forums, but maybe that's just because psionics aren't as common as magic.

Kyeudo
2007-08-12, 10:54 PM
Its a good feat for NPCs. PCs, however, don't see enough benefit, because the psionic monster will die long before Psionic Hole's effects drain the monster of its PP or it misses its psionic focus much.

NPCs will tick the crap out of PCs though.

Belteshazzar
2007-08-12, 11:08 PM
I wonder why the only requisite is Con 15.

Damage Control
2007-08-12, 11:27 PM
No! We were hoping nobody would find that! Psionic modify memory, go go go!

Reel On, Love
2007-08-12, 11:30 PM
You know... in the XPH, this is on the same pair of pages as Power Penetration... Psionic Endowment... and Psionic Fist.

Come on, what were they THINKING?

Quietus
2007-08-12, 11:35 PM
You know... in the XPH, this is on the same pair of pages as Power Penetration... Psionic Endowment... and Psionic Fist.

Alphabetical order, clearly!

Dragonmuncher
2007-08-12, 11:48 PM

"Psionically gifted" is just another name for "pervert."

Kurald Galain
2007-08-13, 02:55 AM
What is a psionic focus, anyway? I thought it was one of those crystal thingies that gave you a caster level (well, manifester level) bonus?

Jasdoif
2007-08-13, 03:23 AM
What is a psionic focus, anyway? I thought it was one of those crystal thingies that gave you a caster level (well, manifester level) bonus?It's the state of your mind being in tune with itself, or something. Some psionic abilities only work while you're psionically focused, others require you to expend (ie spend) your focus to power them.

Concentration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/skills/concentration.htm#gainPsionicFocus) covers the mechanics of it.

Kyace
2007-08-13, 05:17 AM
Is it not as good as it seems to be? Or is it just a hidden gem? I don't think I ever see it on character sheets in the PbP forums, but maybe that's just because psionics aren't as common as magic.Well, any campaign where it'd be any use, you'd likely end up hurting your teammates too, since it doesn't appear you can turn it off.

"Ok, lets teleport to town."
"Do I have to teleport Henry? He sucks up a bunch of PPs bringing him."
"Sorry Henry, guard the donkeys."

tainsouvra
2007-08-13, 12:45 PM
I think it would be weak and sometimes problematic as a player, but strong on an NPC crafted to use it. Of course, IMO, that's a sign that there's something very wrong with the feat :smalltongue:

PhallicWarrior
2007-08-13, 04:21 PM

Heh heh, psionic Endowment.

Seriously though, this is a cool feat. Kinda reminds me of the plot of KOTOR II, what with the hole-in-the-Force-bit.