PDA

View Full Version : DM Help "Strip" D&D rules for a short, one-shot adventure: what to keep?

Citan
2017-09-12, 01:44 PM
Hi all!

I have been appointed DM for a game of a specific kind tomorrow: I volunteered to master a game for two friends so that, for once, it's not always the same doing all the heavy lifting.

Except that the game he is usually leading is totally unrelated to D&d. So, they like the idea of discovering a bit of D&d (the settings, the classes, the "general feeling") but...

Although both are otherwise experienced gamers and familiar with many different system, both have 0 knowledge of D&D 5e, and no desire to learn everything overnight.
Furthermore, they tend to be much more interested in the pure roleplay and strategic overview than in chess-like tactical combat.

Thus, I sent them a short form to have an idea of the kind of character they'd like to play (especially how much "magical" they'd like to be), for a free "infiltration/assassination" free one-shot I found on DM's guild (doesn't remember the name right now).
From what I remember, NPC (hostiles or not) are fairly simple (aka nearly no magic or special ability), and the PC will be level 2, so potential fights (if any) should be fairly scarce and straight-forward, like a plain medieval setting.

To make the game more enjoyable and fluid (we only have ~3 hours stat), I think about...

Keeping:
- the concept of skill checks and saving throws, with proficient / not proficient;
- the basic fight mechanics (initiative, move speed, difficult terrain, advantage/disadvantage, OA, AC, Dash/Disengage/Hide/Dodge);

Ditching:
- "Hide" mechanics (meaning, I won't bother with all the RAW shenanigans, if their course of action feels logical and they succeed on the relevant check, they are hidden).
- the action/bonus action/reaction distinction, unless their answers make clear the best fit for them would be a class that has specific, permanent choices for bonus action -like Rogue- or reaction (like Wizard/Warlock spells). Otherwise, I feel that just knowing about OA is enough.
- Ability scores: since nearly no magic is involved (at least on enemy part), saves will be rarely requested. In the same kind of idea, probably no more than half a dozen skills will be used. See below.
- ammunition/weight/loot management: it's a 3-hour max one-shot. :)

Altering:
- HP for player (replacing the whole thing by a "wounds counter", which will for each player amount to 5+ the maximum roll of his class die: for example, if one player went Fighter, it would have 15.).
- damage on player (creatures deal "1/2/3 wound" on hit with ranged/one-handed/heavy weapons, critical doubles the amount).
- damage on creatures (1
- checks and saves: class will determine one "major" ability (STR if Barb, DEX if Rogue, INT if Wizard etc), player choose another. Major rolls get 1d6 bonus.
- proficiency: add 1d6 to the roll. Each player chooses 6 skills or tools or weapons/armors.
- armor: unarmored = 10, light = 13, medium = 16, heavy = 18.
- advantage/disadvantage: giving it "on the fly" as situation evolves whenever players (or enemies) do something smart that would probably give them an edge in real life (flanking, "ventriloquing" an order or scream from behind an enemy to make him lose focus, etc).
- short rests: make it 10mn instead of one hour.
- others: if feature would not fit well in this system, I'll adapt (see example below).

Jeremy, level 2 Fighter
heavy armor, two-handed weapon (3 wounds).
AC = 18, Wounds = 15 (10+5).
Majors (+1d6 on rolls): STR, CHA: attacks, checks, saves
Proficiencies (+1d6 on rolls): Intimidation, Persuasion, Investigation, Athletics, Medicine, Survival.

Special ability:
Action Surge: "once per short rest, in addition to his action, Fighter can make another attack during his turn".
Second Wind: once per short rest, in addition to his action, Fighter can restore 3 wounds during his turn. (restores 3 wounds).

Jemery engages an ironclad enemy (heavy armor), and makes an attack: he rolls 11+1+2=14 so misses. He decides to use his Action Surge, and this times grasp luck with both hands, with a natural 20: he inflicts 2*3= 6 wounds to his enemy.

Max, level 2 Rogue
light armor, AC = 13, Wounds = 13 (8+5).
Shortsword (2 wounds), longbow* (1 wounds)
Majors: DEX, WIS
Proficiencies: Perception, Stealth, Sleigh of Hand, thieves's tool, Animal Handling, longbow.

Special ability:
Cunning Action: "in addition to his action, Rogue can Dash/Disengage/Hide during his turn".
Sneak Attack: "when Rogue has advantage or ally in contact with target, Rogue can add 1 wound".

Max makes a longbow attack: he rolls 1d20 + 1d6 (DEX major) + 1d6 (proficient with weapon) against a "medium armor" enemy: he rolls 10+2+5=17, hits the enemy. Since his friend Jeremy was already fighting it, he deals 1+1 wounds thanks to Sneak Attack.

The idea beyond all these changes is to eliminate most of the number-crunching that is usually very time-consuming, especially with players that are not familiar with D&d, nor with their own characters...
As well as limiting the dice complexity (at most 3-4 die at the same time for any given roll) and using mechanics more similar to what they are used to (Apocalypse World), while keeping most of the feel (skill checks enforcing roleplay, medieval-fantasy setting, gritty fights, magic creativity).

Obviously this would crumble down if one tried to apply it to a larger party or higher level one, but for a lvl 2 two-man party... What do you think? Is making all rely solely on rolls too unreliable?

KorvinStarmast
2017-09-12, 01:49 PM
You're making it too hard on yourself.

DM describes the setting
Players describe actions/decisions/choices
DM narrates the result.

Only roll dice when it is necessary, otherwise, make a ruling and play on. It's two of them, you want the pace to be reasonably quick.

Citan
2017-09-12, 01:55 PM

DM describes the setting
DM narrates the result.

Only roll dice when it is necessary, otherwise, make a ruling and play on. It's two of them, you want the pace to be reasonably quick.
Well... Or that.

True enough. :smallbiggrin:

Easy_Lee
2017-09-12, 02:01 PM

DM describes the setting
DM narrates the result.

I'll second this. The DM can make the game as easy or as complicated as he wants it to be. And 5e is already pretty simple, so you don't need to simplify it much more for the average person to take it in.

If you want things to be really simple, here's how I would go:

Don't start the players off with characters. Start them with soldier, sage, etc. stat blocks. These things are close to characters, but much simpler and easier to read than a character sheet. This is less intimidating then having a big, multi-page thing to look at. Some older players forget how difficult character sheets are to take in.
Explain the three types of D20 roll: attacks, checks, and saving throws. Also make sure that they know what an action, bonus action, and reaction are.
Tell the characters they can attempt to do anything they want, and you'll either narrate the result, ask them to roll, or tell them it's impossible if necessary.

Then just narrate the game. That's really all you need for 5e, and your players will pick up on it in time.

I've had more trouble converting 3.5e players over to 5e than new players. New players will try stuff. 3.5e players make incorrect assumptions, about movement and critical hits for instance, and often are unwilling to try anything that isn't written down for them.

Armored Walrus
2017-09-12, 02:35 PM
I... I thought this thread was about something else.

Carry on.

Willie the Duck
2017-09-12, 02:36 PM
Boy a lot of this doesn't sound simpler. Instead of adding 1d6 to rolls, just keep the target #s down. You are in control of that. If you want wounds to be simpler, just use average damage.

Now sure, things like bonus and reaction actions should be paired down. But unless they are a rogue trying to 2wf or a eldritch knight with a polearm trying to OA and shield in the same round, it likely won't come up.

Here is what I did when I tried to introduce new D&D-ers to the game:
I made 4 premade 2nd level Vuman Champions. Half of them Dex based, half Str based. Standard array. All with the defensive fighting style. The feats each had were: healer, inspiring leader, ritual caster, and skilled. Healer gave people a taste of limited resources. It and Inspiring (+ action surge and 2nd wind) gave people an understanding of short rest mechanics. Ritual caster gave people a taste of the magic system (including finding new ones to write into books) without ever having to look up spells in the middle of combat. Skilled (plus urchin background) lead to interaction with the skill system (and left out a bunch of stuff like expertise and consistent advantage, etc.). It was a lot of fun.

smcmike
2017-09-12, 02:58 PM
I... I thought this thread was about something else.

Carry on.

Yeah, talk about a tease... ...is what I came here for!

DM describes the setting
DM narrates the result.

This 100%. They don't need to care about optimization, but they don't need watered down abilities. Low level characters are simple, and you aren't going to try to penalize them for low system knowledge.... are you?

So, you keep a copy of the character sheets and worry about the numbers for them. They rollplay the characters, and tell you what they try to do in combat.

Citan
2017-09-13, 06:20 AM
Thanks for all your replies, I'"ll do that (also, what did you expect really? I thought the title was clear enough XD)

Nifft
2017-09-13, 06:25 AM
Thanks for all your replies, I'"ll do that (also, what did you expect really? I thought the title was clear enough XD)

Have you heard of Strip Poker? If not, go ahead and google it.

Now, imagine someone asked you if you wanted to play "Strip" D&D...

Joe the Rat
2017-09-13, 08:40 AM
"How many Hit Die for my pants?"

But on topic, You could take the simplified proficiency variant from the DMG: Roughly, Characters are proficient in the same ability checks as they are saving throws. I think there's some variation, but I'm afb.

Asking for stat checks rather than skills is one less thing to learn.

nickl_2000
2017-09-13, 08:47 AM

It's still called Role Playing though, but it has a slightly different connotation.

Willie the Duck
2017-09-13, 09:04 AM
It's still called Role Playing though, but it has a slightly different connotation.

But I can still play as a pirate, though, right?

nickl_2000
2017-09-13, 09:17 AM
But I can still play as a pirate, though, right?

of course, in fact it's encouraged! And whip builds with leather armor are also highly popular

Pex
2017-09-13, 12:52 PM
For an adventure I had played a character who was a male stripper but to play a true Strip D&D game would be really uncomfortable, not that I'd mind a few players I play with take their shirt off.

It pays to read a thread beyond the title.

:smallyuk:

Regitnui
2017-09-13, 01:01 PM
Take a look at Fungeons and Flagons on YouTube. I would link you, but that would require there be actual rules for strip d&d here somewhere.

90sMusic
2017-09-13, 02:38 PM
Just play 5e D&D.

Give them d20s and tell them to roll when they attempt to do something, then you add their modifiers yourself. if it's an attack roll and they don't want to bother rolling damage dice or adding it up, just give them the average damage just what is listed in the monster manual.

They don't have to know ANYTHING. They can just roll.

And if that is too much work for you, instead of giving them unique ability scores and whatnot, just assume they started with 16 of their primary stat which, with proficiency, means +5 to attack rolls of any kind and +3 to damage rolls. Spell DC of 13 for casters. Very simple, very easy.

Or you could just play something like Dread. I've never played it before but I "heard" that there is no rolling or stats or anything and the only thing you gotta do is successfully pull a jenga block from the tower to accomplish a task or something along those lines. Very simple.

Citan
2017-09-26, 03:10 PM

Looool.
Okay, I deeply apologize to all that had been so disappointed. Since English is not my native language (and I'm not playing Strip poker very often either ^^), I totally didn't make the link... XD

Oh, by the way, on topic: finally I used the Orcpub site to make them characters, and we didn't even have to make any fight so we just had roll checks and roleplay: everyone had a blast, and they were satisfied with this first contact with D&d -obviously, since they never got a chance at suffering the combat rules thickiness XD-.

The short I used was the "pay what you want" Assassination - Lord of the Arsenal.
If there are people interested, I'll be glad to make a more detailed review of it. In summary, it is a fun one which provides all the basic information to play it, but could use some polishing on structuration as well as pure writing.

Also, we played 2 sessions of ~3-hours each and it was totally unsufficient, I had to give some "metagame help" (as much as I dislike doing this) and cut whole parts / make things anormaly easy in order for them to finish the quest "in-time".
This was unfortunately unavoidable because we had no way to organize a third session before, like, next year at least, and they didn't want to get story starved by ending on a "definitive cliffhanger".
Of course, they were more hesitant than necessary at times due to lack of knowledge about setting or their own capabilities, so obviously YMMV. On another hand, they did take the time to explore several options and roleplay it.

All in all, I'd advise a DM to reserve a ~8 hours planning, or 10 with very creative/disruptive players or a big group.

GlenSmash!
2017-09-26, 04:26 PM

DM describes the setting
DM narrates the result.

I did this on a campout. We spent a few minutes making "character sheets" that were really just a class out the 4 classes in the basic rules, total HPs, and a +5 that represented proficiency bonus, and a 16 in a primary attribute. plus a damage die based on the concept they were going for. 1d6+3 for rouges 1d6+0 offhand then add sneak attack when applicaable, 1d8+3 for 1handed fighters 2d6+3 for twohanders. 1d8+0 for the wizards and clerics.

If the wizards or clerics wanted to cast a spell, they just described what they were trying to do, and I would think of a spell that fit the description, or just set an appropriate dc and have the role 1d20+5 like a proficient skill check.

I figured, why spend all the time book-keeping if no one was going to play another session.

Everyone had a lot of fun but indeed we didn't play again.