PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Tempest Cleric / Storm Sorc build help

Zene
2017-09-12, 03:13 PM
I'm working on coming up with a front-line AOE build.

Right now I'm thinking Tempest Cleric to 5 for those 3rd-level cleric spells including Spirit Guardians; then Storm Sorcerer to 6 for Heart of the Storm (selective AOE damage on lighting/thunder spells). Playstyle will be set up Spirit Guardians, blast with lightning/thunder spells, using bonus actions for Spritual Weapon/Tempestuous Magic movement. And of course along the way, there's all the synergy picked up with plate armor and Shield spell, metamagic with Cleric spells, Channel Divinity on Sorc spells, etc. After Cleric 5 / Sorc 6, I'm thinking continue in sorcerer for the continual increased damage of heart of the storm, but not sure if that's really the best route.

Has anyone played a similar build? Any advice? How does it compare to more traditional AOE casters, like Evoker, Careful Spell Draconic Sorcerer, or even just straight Tempest Cleric?

Byke
2017-09-12, 03:51 PM
Haven't played on personally, but did play in a group with one :) I remember that he did some absurd damage, with upcasting/twin/maximized Chromatic Orbs. He was also a really effective front liners as well, armor, shield, shield spell with quicken/twin Booming Blade + Spirit Guardians + Spiritual weapon. It seemed effective all around, but the lack of higher level spells deterred me from playing one.

PeteNutButter
2017-09-12, 03:58 PM
The classes go well together, but are probably better off with a larger focus on one or the other. Unless you are rolling stats--and roll really well--you are going to be pretty weak in either wisdom or cha. It'll probably start at 13 and will get even further behind as you level up. That means your spells will be relegated to mostly utility one on of the two classes.

A tempest cleric can go 3-6 levels in sorcerer to get metamagic, shield spell, some subclass perks, and possibly lightning bolt.

A sorcerer can take just 2 levels in tempest cleric for the maximize effect.