PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Telekinetic Character, which option or subsystem to use?

masterjoda99
2017-09-12, 03:55 PM
So, I would like to be able to build a character whose primary capability is telekinesis. That is, moving things, force choking foes like vader, throwing enemies and objects, possibly even blocking and deflecting attacks with telekinetic force. Problem is, I don't know what subsystem would be my best bet for a satisfying TK experience. Spheres of Power has its Telekinesis sphere and the Incanter class, but would take a lot of talents and levels to reach the point where I'm capable of more than just plinking at folks with a bludgeon weapon.

There's also Psionics, though the Kineticist Psion seems more Evoker than telekinetic, and again would have to level up lots to get telekinetic.

There's also the Kineticist class, which while the class itself and the Aether element are both first-party, there's a lot of 3rd party material for kineticist, and I was wondering how much difference it made for a telekineticist.

Are there any other 1st or 3rd party system options that would sate my thirst for mind over matter and being like mewtwo, or m. bison, or darth vader?

Kurald Galain
2017-09-12, 04:07 PM
The best answer is probably Sorcerer, with the Psychic bloodline. This makes your spells count as psychic so you cast them without vocal and somatic components; and you've got a wide range of excellent spells to pick from. For instance, (0) Mage Hand, (1) Jump, Floating Disc, Animate Rope, Feather Fall, Liberating Command; (2) Pilfering Hand, Arrow Eruption, Kinetic Reverberation, Levitate, Storm of Blades; (3) Battering Blast, Force Punch; (4) Telekinetic Charge.

Simply put, the best and most flavorful TK abilities are all on the wizard/sorcerer list, so draw from there.

TheIronGolem
2017-09-12, 04:39 PM
Spheres of Power has its Telekinesis sphere and the Incanter class, but would take a lot of talents and levels to reach the point where I'm capable of more than just plinking at folks with a bludgeon weapon.

Have you seen the options from the Telekinetic's Handbook? Telekinetic Crush (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/telekinesis#toc37) will let you get your Vader on from level 1. The damage is mediocre, but you can apply it while holding the target in mid-air (and even do it as a move action, if you take Easy Focus). There's also Weaponize (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/telekinesis#toc42), which lets you attack with raw telekinetic force (think Sylar) if you don't have any suitable stuff to throw or just don't care for the flavor of the Bludgeon option.

stack
2017-09-12, 05:05 PM
It's a ways from playtest yet, but the spheres of power and spheres of might crossover book tentatively has a symbiat archetype focused on the telekinetic maneuver talent combined with the brute sphere.

That aside, telekinetic warrior symbiat is a good start. Wild magic playtest wild mage thaumaturge archetype is fun too, get the CL earlier and have fun wild magic telekinetic side effects.

legomaster00156
2017-09-13, 10:19 AM
As someone who is currently playing a Telekinetic Warrior Symbiat, I can confirm that as far as Telekinesis goes, you probably won't find a better option. :smallsmile:

Eldariel
2017-09-13, 10:29 AM
If 3.5 material is also on the table, Master of the Unseen Hand [Complete Warrior] is pretty cool for Telekinesis. All you then need is Telekinesis all day. 3.5 Ghost template is a good way to go about that but other than that it can be a bit hard to acquire. Planar Shepherd Wildshaping into Shadow Demon could do it but the caster level is restricted. In PF systems it's hard to get it all day but a point-based system generally gives you more uses than a slot-based system so I recommend Dreamscarred Press Psionics.

Mehangel
2017-09-13, 10:39 AM
As someone who is currently playing a Telekinetic Warrior Symbiat, I can confirm that as far as Telekinesis goes, you probably won't find a better option. :smallsmile:

I just wanted to third, that using the Telekinesis sphere combined with a relevant archetype (such as the Hekatonkheires (symbiat archetype) or Soaring Blade (armorist archetype)) is possibly the best choice you can make Telekinesis-wise.

masterjoda99
2017-09-13, 12:16 PM

Would you be willing to share your build and talent picks?

legomaster00156
2017-09-13, 12:46 PM
Well, I'm in a game with Ponyfinder material, so much of what I chose cannot be replicated in most campaigns. As far as talents, I focus on a support-ish build, favoring hostile lift use to remove enemies from the fight temporarily.

masterjoda99
2017-09-13, 01:05 PM
Well, I'm in a game with Ponyfinder material, so much of what I chose cannot be replicated in most campaigns. As far as talents, I focus on a support-ish build, favoring hostile lift use to remove enemies from the fight temporarily.

I was mostly concerned with feats, talent picks, and whether you multiclassed or went straight Symbiat.

legomaster00156
2017-09-13, 01:42 PM
I am currently just a straight Symbiat 7, wielding a longsword in two hands with appropriate melee feats. I picked up Flight and Greater Speed first thing, with Powerful Telekinesis another priority. I also picked up Telekinetic Crush due to my hostile lift focus, and soon I'll be getting the prereq's for the Puppet and Choking Grasp advanced talents.