PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Void Kineticists + Negative Energy Elementals

Technetium43
2017-09-12, 05:06 PM
So I was looking at some of the Kineticist Talents, as it's been a while since I bothered, and came across a neat talent introduced in Horror Adventures, Elemental Whispers. It lets you summon a familiar from your mind made out of the appropriate element, but only lasts as long as you concentrate. Neat and thematic, but not really all that 'powerful' per say. Then I noticed the Greater Elemental Whispers talent. This essentially gives you an Improved Familiar from a very limited list, but it actually acts like a normal familiar rather than Elemental Whispers' weird stuff. I went looking through the available forms and found something... interesting. One of the negative energy elemental's abilities is as follows:

A negative energy elemental radiates an aura of pure negative energy around it. (See the table for the area each elemental affects.)

Within a negative energy elemental’s aura, class abilities that use negative energy, such as negative energy channeling or the Command Undead feat, function as if the user were 2 levels higher. Additionally, spells and spell-like abilities that use negative energy are maximized (as if the Maximize Spell metamagic feat had been used on them, but the spells don’t require higher-level slots). Spells and spell-like abilities that are already maximized are unaffected by this benefit. This aura does not affect the negative energy channeling ability of the negative energy elemental using it, and its effects do not stack with those of other negative energy elementals.

The Negative Blast talent of the Void primary element is a class ability that uses negative energy, as well as a spell-like ability that uses negative energy. Unless I'm misinterpreting something, could a Void Kineticist take these two wild talents to auto-maximize all of their blasts, as well as increase their damage by one dice (or two for a Negative Admixture blast)?

Aldrakan
2017-09-12, 05:33 PM
The negative energy elemental isn't from paizo is an issue. If it's allowed that's a practically compulsory choice for the poor void kineticist, if not then they can't take greater elemental whispers at all.

Technetium43
2017-09-12, 05:50 PM
Ugh, right, d20pfsrd has extremely inconsistent labeling. My bad.