PDA

View Full Version : Question: Any Rules regarding Acid Damage and how it affects non-living materials?

InspectorG
2017-09-12, 07:39 PM
Can Acid Damage be used to damage/utility stuff like Metal, Wood, etc?
Also, if it can damage said things, whats the amount of damage? Over time?

Would give Acid Splash Cantrip some utility:

Bust a metal lock over time.(who needs to pick locks when you can melt them?)

Corrode metal bars, support beams, fixtures, etc.

Etch designs in Armor / printmaking

Potion creation?

Store in glass containers for later use?

Store in glass containers to throw at bad guys?

If diluted, any culinary uses?

Coat a weapon and use it like poison?

Spoil someones food rations?

Or any other uses like such.

Naanomi
2017-09-12, 07:44 PM
Effects inanimate objects like any damage type; though 'materials' themselves may have resistance, vulnerability, or even immunity to certain types of damage... I can imagine all three for acid

JackPhoenix
2017-09-12, 10:10 PM
Acid Splash can only target creatures, not objects. Even if it could, the acid don't last, it's an instant effect, then it's gone. And even if that would work, it doesn't seem precise enough to do anything beyond "hurl a glob of of acid in that general area".

KillingTime
2017-09-13, 04:13 AM
There is no reason why any of these effects couldn't be used if you have a willing DM.
The letter of the rules tends to be there to make combat situations slick and fair. But when you're in narrative time a good DM should work with the party to allow interesting solutions to various problems.

I'd certainly allow Acid Splash to be used on a lock - though I might want to make a ruling to see how tough the lock is a how long it takes for the acid to eat through it.
I'm less convinced it moud be precise enough to use it for creative purposes, and if a caster wanted to put it on a weapon as a type of poison I would remind them what it did to the lock....

Joe the Rat
2017-09-13, 07:46 AM
In General
Acid does damage to objects as well as creatures. Barring something I am forgetting, objects are resistant to acid (and everything else), though this should really be a per-material thing (glass typically being the "not eaten by acid" material of choice). Note that "can damage" is different from "can target." Some spells, particularly cantrips, are very particular about what they can be used on. Personally, unless there's a good reason for it to only target living things (which is my ruling for most radiant and necrotic effects), it's at least worth a discussion with your DM.
Acid isn't a continuing effect - if it helps, think of that NdX damage as the burn over a six-second period until the solvent reaches saturation.

Specifics for Adaptation - not necessarily for your acid splash, but some rule precedents to discuss with your DM if you develop a taste for low pH.
(Melf's) Acid Arrow has a continued effect: Base casing is 4d4, +2d4 on target's next turn.
Acid Flask from the UA Artificer (Alchemist) call out targeting objects as an option (and since it is a save, you always hit), and inflicts maximum damage on objects.

Eric Diaz
2017-09-13, 10:23 AM
Depends on the acid, really... Realistic, some types of acid will damage metals, others will damage wood IIRC... It would be a bit strange for a single acid to work on everything.

Other than that, I think you can add any effects you wish for clever uses of any cantrip. The only thing that makes me think twice is giving "picking locks" as an automatic effect for cantrips. Makes the thief a bit less useful.

DarkKnightJin
2017-09-13, 10:44 AM
Pretty sure it wouldn't be 'picking' locks as much it would be 'wrecking' locks.
A Rogue would be able to re-lock after they're done.
You can't do that with a melted lock.

Eric Diaz
2017-09-13, 11:00 AM
Pretty sure it wouldn't be 'picking' locks as much it would be 'wrecking' locks.
A Rogue would be able to re-lock after they're done.
You can't do that with a melted lock.

Yeah, I'm not sure how useful re-locking things is in most dungeons... But in theory could be useful to get a short rest, etc. (or you can barricade the door you just opened)

90sMusic
2017-09-13, 11:03 AM
One thing to consider is that not all acid is created equal. There are countless types of acid in the world, some only cause mild burning sensations, others primarily only affect living matter. Some acid takes HOURS or even DAYS to dissolve something. Then you have stuff like hydrofluoric acid that will eat through nearly anything and is extremely dangerous to mess with because even getting a drop of the stuff on your hand could cost you the whole arm.

Acids are not created equal.

As acid splash does very little damage and is produced via cantrip, it's not unreasonable to say it is on the weaker end of the spectrum and doesn't do a whole lot of damage to inorganic materials. Maybe if you were locked in a prison for 20 years you could use acid splash to dig your way out over that extremely length period of time (about 17 million casts of it over that period of time give or take). But if you want to use it to bust out of jail in one action, that isn't happening.

Slipperychicken
2017-09-13, 11:44 AM
I'd say the acid from an attack spell, unless otherwise specified, should magically vanish as soon as the spell's duration ends. For an instantaneous spell, that means it does its damage and is gone.

Also, if acid should be especially effective against a given object, then the GM should adjudicate that the object has vulnerability to acid.