PDA

View Full Version : Homebrewing Attack on Titan Maneuver Gears in 5e

Sparkwell
2017-09-12, 07:56 PM
Hey folks,

Running SKT (no spoilers here) with plenty of my own additions to the story, and one of the items that I'd like to include as an option for a character to pursue is gaining the use of a magic apparatus that allows maneuvers similar to those seen in Attack on Titan. After all, they are fighting predominantly very large creatures. However, as I began making up rules for how it could work, it quickly blossomed out of control into a rules monstrosity that would slow combat down like mad. As a result, I've come up with the following item that I hope is not too bloated while still being somewhat realistic. Please, offer your thoughts and give me a hand if you think it's bonkers.

Magical Maneuver Harness (Requires Attunement - Uncommon)
This item gives a player a fly speed of 50ft with custom maneuverability. When the player chooses to use this fly speed as part of their move they pick an object within 50 ft that they can see, fire a magical "tracer hand crossbow" at the target, and are drawn straight towards that target at immense speed by 50ft long magical chains attached to a grappling hook, assuming the object is heavier than the operator. They must travel in a straight line, and they must travel the full 50 ft distance to the object. At any point during that movement, however, the operator can use a bonus action to alter the direction of their movement by firing a second hook at any other eligible target.

Caveats:

No matter how far away the second target is, however, the operator cannot move more than 50ft in a single turn. Any remaining movement left at the start of an operator's next turn is completed and taken out of their total movement for that turn.
The harness only has two hooks, and each hook resets at the start of the operator's turn. This means that an operator can only ever change direction in mid-air once during a turn, as the other hook is returning to the harness.

- - - - -

I have a bunch of other ideas to add to this, namely:
- Whiplash damage and g-force Con checks from incredibly sharp turns or reversal of direction.
- AoO rules from a target shooting past.
- Ranged touch attacks to target a living creature in motion (the operator would have to aim ahead of a dragon flying in mid air, for example).
- Feats that allow bonus damage to be applied to successful Fly-By attacks due to the increased force of movement.
- Etc.

Thoughts? OP? Not nearly powerful enough to be worth it? How would you do it?

Thanks!