PDA

View Full Version : What have I done, what do I need to do?

halfeye
2017-09-12, 09:49 PM
I have an account, and I can login, so I click "stay logged in", and it holds for a page and its threads, but since earlier today stopping site preferences and website offline data, which I've since restored, if I move to a different forum page, I'm logged out.

I can log in again, but once per page is annoying.

Fri
2017-09-13, 01:11 AM
check if you allow cookies to be saved.

Manga Shoggoth
2017-09-14, 04:59 AM
Your "connection" is stored as a cookie, so anything that affects cookies can do this. So:

Make sure that your browser is set to allow cookies for this site (per Fri's comment).
Make sure you don't have any processes going around tidying up cookies. Several security programs will do this kind of thing.
Take care clearing your browser cache (this will also remove cookies)
If you are running any kind of script blocker (like noscript) make sure that you have the correct sites unblocked.

If you have only just started getting this behaviour, try to find out what has changed: it is possible that a change to - say - script blocking is now affecting cookies.

halfeye
2017-09-14, 07:33 AM
Your "connection" is stored as a cookie, so anything that affects cookies can do this. So:

Make sure that your browser is set to allow cookies for this site (per Fri's comment).
Make sure you don't have any processes going around tidying up cookies. Several security programs will do this kind of thing.
Take care clearing your browser cache (this will also remove cookies)
If you are running any kind of script blocker (like noscript) make sure that you have the correct sites unblocked.

If you have only just started getting this behaviour, try to find out what has changed: it is possible that a change to - say - script blocking is now affecting cookies.

Yeah, cookies seem to be it. However, cookies used to be blocked with no problem before.

Keltest
2017-09-14, 09:40 AM
Yeah, cookies seem to be it. However, cookies used to be blocked with no problem before.

You probably had an exception for this site and either forgot or didn't realize it. Then one setting or another got changed and the cookies got blocked again.

halfeye
2017-09-14, 08:51 PM
You probably had an exception for this site and either forgot or didn't realize it. Then one setting or another got changed and the cookies got blocked again.

Sort of, but I still have the exception for this site, it's just that it's not working any more. I presume it's a change to Firefox, they change so much (you can't do "let me decide on cookies on the fly" any more), but it definitely triggered when I changed the settings mentioned above, and didn't change back when I undid them.