PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Council of Thieves IC - Bastards of Erebus

Justicar
2017-09-12, 09:50 PM
It was just another day in Westcrown. Its average citizen went about their everyday business, keeping one eye on the patrolling Dottari and the other tracking the path of the sun in the sky. Laughter is few, far between and typically has the cruel tinge of a bully playing with their victims.

Each of you are alone in the city. Either because you have recently come to Westcrown or because you have no one in your life to truly share it with. You have all noticed the corruption, cruelty and fear that hangs over Westcrown like a blade and no one seemed willing to do anything about it.

Separately, you are all approached by an attractive woman who calls herself Janiven. She carries herself with confident and competence, her hand rests lightly on the pummel of her sword.

To Taurg, she says “I can see the intelligence behind your eyes and how you try to hide it from the authorities. You don’t need to hide your light. I am gathering people that are trying to cast off the darkness and prejudice that has fallen over the city.”

To Marcius, she says “You are not alone. There are others know about the night creature. The officials refuses to acknowledge them and, if they continue to ignore the dangers, then the citizens need to take back the night.”

To Fiune, she says “I have heard of you. How you try and bring solace to the downtrodden in Westcrown. I have also heard your inquiries about your mother. While I don’t have any knowledge about her whereabouts, but I can put you in touch with an organization that may have the means to help you in exchange for your aid.”

To Gustavo, she says “The Dottari have grown corrupt and fat. They shake down the lower ranks of society for their last copper in order for them to live their lives in peace, yet allow the upper ranks to get away with anything with impunity, for the right price. There is a group concerned citizens who want to make Westcrown a safer place to live for everyone, not just those that can afford it.”

To Akane, she says “Slavery is an abomination. It is slowly rotting away at the soul of Westcrown. Freedom should be a gods-given right to all people of all races. The pain of their suffering is reflected in your eyes. How would you like to stop living for the moment and help make a difference?”

To Giono, she says “It is good to see your return, young Missepe. We have heard tales of your deeds. You have done much to redeem your family’s name. You can be a beacon of hope in this city, your home. Let us show everyone, the citizens of Westcrown and your family, what true nobility is.”

After giving her spiel, she tells each of you to meet at Vizio’s Tavern that same afternoon for an early dinner to discuss the future plans. She promises more information and specifics if you come.

None of you have met yet. You can do any research into Janiven, the tavern or anything you want. Just let me know what you are doing and how you are doing it. Afterwards, you can meet up at the tavern and introduce yourselves to each other.

theasl
2017-09-13, 02:15 AM
Marcius narrows his eyes questioningly at Janiven as she speaks, nodding and grunting in acknowledgement as she leaves. For all of that confidence, most people who say stuff like that end up dead and mangled on the streets within a month. But there's something about this woman...she seems...different. Ordinarily, Marcius would ignore such requests, but this time his curiosity is piqued, and he heads to the tavern as the sun begins to dip in the sky.

Juicy Kisses
2017-09-13, 01:54 PM
Gustavo's interest is peaked by the woman's offer. A safer place for everyone? Not just the rich? Tis a beautiful quest she would have her take on. Gustavo agreed to go to Vizio's tavern, and ran off to get ready before heading that way.

HappyMerecat
2017-09-13, 05:51 PM
Taurg

Taurg is intrigued by the woman's words and agrees. Hos did someone he does not even know see through him. Had he been that lacks? He heads to Vizio’s Tavern early, sits in the corner and orders an ale so he can observe the occupants and see who comes.

Juicy Kisses
2017-09-13, 05:55 PM
Gustavo enters into the tavern a short wait after Taurg, walking up to the bar and ordering a glass of mead. She sits and the bar and begins flipping through a book, occasionally glancing around the bar to see if Janiven enters.

Vozen
2017-09-13, 06:42 PM
To Akane, she says “Slavery is an abomination. It is slowly rotting away at the soul of Westcrown. Freedom should be a gods-given right to all people of all races. The pain of their suffering is reflected in your eyes. How would you like to stop living for the moment and help make a difference?”

Akane, in her human guise as usual, wanted to play off what the strange woman said as the babbling of one who understood nothing about her. But the way she spoke of slavery...the Kitsune was not a saint by any stretch of the imagination, but slavery was one of the few things she could not stand. She decided to go along with this for now, though she would not act for free at least.

She stepped into Vizio's Tavern, walking confidently up to the barkeep she ordered an ale, then took a seat along the wall with a view of the whole room. She wanted to get a feel for the room before her mystery lady showed up again.

Justicar
2017-09-14, 07:31 AM
While waiting for the rest of the invitees to arrive, Janiven goes about the business of preparing food and doing some minor repair work. She acknowledges the presence of those that have arrived and invites them to be seated, offering them some ale to pass the time, but politely refuses to answer any questions at that time until everyone has arrived.

Janiven is an attractive woman who downplays her beauty by wearing rough clothing and armor and adopting a generally stern and no-nonsense attitude. Yet when she feels truly at ease with someone she calls a friend, like the barkeep before she dismisses him for the night, her smile, sense of humor, and quick wit reveal her to be quite a charming and friendly woman.

Dinner is satisfactory but not exceptional. Simple home cooking or at least camp-worthy food. It further reinforces the impression that this is not a full-time operating establishment. Janiven joins them in the meal, during which she engages in idle chat with those have arrived or simply watches as they get to know each other.

Kvard51
2017-09-14, 07:46 AM
Not liking the fact that he was so quickly recognized, Giano resolves to avoid this meeting at all costs. He goes about the tasks he had set for himself this day, healing where he can, serving quietly, encouraging always. The brown hound seems to always be by his side. It is a comfort. Finally, as dark approaches, Giano begins to walk back to his room. This will be my last night in such comfortable rooms, unless I finds source of income.. The thought doesn't worry him, he's slept in his cloak before.

As he reaches the main road that will take him back to the inn, the dog turns the wrong way. Giano calls him, patting his leg, but the hound seems intent on going the opposite direction. Finally, deciding the dog has been a faithful companion this day, Giano decides to follow.

A couple of blocks later, he looks at the creature with wonder. Vizio's Tavern. Lorris seems to have plans for me...

Stepping inside, he sees the woman from earlier. Scanning the room, he notices a few others who are looking at him with what seems to be expectation. He walks into the bar and sits, back to the wall.

apheline
2017-09-14, 08:06 AM
Fiune, happy with what she has discovered about Janiven, walks into the small tavern and introduces herself, "Hello everyone, I am Fiune Treecreek, Hedge Witch of the Dhaenfens. It's a pleasure to make y'all's acquaintance." After the introduction, she enjoys the meal and conversation, not saying much, but answering questions that are put to her.

HappyMerecat
2017-09-14, 12:24 PM
Taurg

Taurg joins the others when invited. Clearly all the people here were part of this group. He partakes in the food and nurses his ale. Taking in all he can about the others. He says little and maintains his facade of someone without intelligence. He says little, throws in blank looks and the occasional off timed laugh.

Justicar
2017-09-14, 01:17 PM
Once dinner is over, and with still a few hours to go before sundown, Janiven locks the front door and shutters the windows, then takes a deep breath and thanks you all for attending the meeting. She again assures them that they’ll be done in less than an hour, with plenty of time left over for everyone to get home before sunset. Her speech is short, but delivered with great passion.

“Again, thank you for agreeing to meet with me here. I have chosen each of you for a singular reason—everyone here, myself included, has suffered, whether we realize it or not. I have lived in Westcrown my whole life, and although I love this city, I must admit, as must you, that despite our peace and prosperity, we continue to suffer. Fear should not be an expected part of life, and yet each night brings fear to our doorsteps. Yes, Westcrown has been safe from war and famine for nearly seventy years, and yes, our businesses has prospered—but this safety and prosperity has been bought in the coinage of fear and prayers to Hell. Other lands live free from tyranny. Other cities do not fear the night. Other governments do not cede the streets to monsters of the infernal shadows. Westcrown was once such a place, and she wants to be such a place again. Westcrown is not only her buildings and canals and docks and history—she is also her people. Westcrown is our friends and neighbors, our mothers and fathers, our siblings and cousins, our sons and daughters! With but a small group of supporters and dedicated brothers and sisters, we can earn the trust and admiration of those people. A Westcrown free of these shadowy beasts that stalk our streets is one step closer to a Westcrown free of the devil that is the Thrice-Damned House of Thrune!”

Janiven’s words are, of course, treason—everyone in Westcrown knows a friend of a friend of a friend who was taken away by a Hellknight or executed after a swift trial for speaking less treasonous words than what Janiven has just uttered.

"I am more than willing to answer any questions you might have," she continues. Every now and then, she glances at the door as if she is expecting someone and is growing increasingly concerned that they haven't arrived yet.

apheline
2017-09-14, 01:26 PM
Fiune raises her hand timidly, "What do you propose we do about it? If you don't mind me asking..."

HappyMerecat
2017-09-14, 01:26 PM
Taurg

Taurg has a few questions, but for now he'll wait to see if others ask them and if they don't then he'll ask them if it seems wise.

Justicar
2017-09-14, 01:53 PM
"We believe that a small group of like-minded friends can improve the lives of the people of Westcrown, but we must take care not to appear as rebels or rioters. We will form our own band of protectors, and work to win the support of the citizens by doing good works and providing what aid they can.

"Key to this tactic is the fact that Westcrown is largely ignored by the rulers of Cheliax as a home-in-exile for the old nobility. As long as we work to win the hearts of Westcrown’s citizens by good deeds and avoid as many direct entanglements with the government as we can, the House of Thrune will continue to ignore what they’ll interpret as “petty squabbling” in the old capital.

"We are all children of Westcrown, after all, and a street war would only damage that which we hope to protect. Instead, if free-thinkers us were to organize a sort of “citizen’s watch” that took steps to protect the people of Westcrown, maybe some day, we can return the city to the splendor and glory it possessed before Aroden’s death and the rise of the House of Thrune."

apheline
2017-09-14, 02:05 PM
Fiune nods thoughtfully, "And, where would our little group begin such a large-scale operation? Is there anything you've got in mind? I'm pretty busy trying to hold back the city's onslaught on nature, which I think is a good thing to do. Is there some way that my efforts can be reassigned to something more substantial?"

theasl
2017-09-14, 02:08 PM
Marcius listens to the conversations with a sort of morbid fascination. "Delivering us all to our deaths...", he mutters under his breath, but does not say any more.

Justicar
2017-09-14, 03:01 PM
"Of course you will not being doing it alone. You are merely another cell in an organization my partner and I have founded; you are not even the first such group. With time, more cells like this will be formed until we are on every street corner and the people can walk without fear once again."

Every now and then, she looks at the entrance in state of both confusion and concern.

Kvard51
2017-09-14, 04:13 PM
Listening to this woman, everything seemed to click into place for Giano. He had come back to Westcrown seeking an opportunity to do good for her inhabitants, and here was that opportunity.

"I will do this thing. I will join you!"

He can see the dog sitting on his haunches, just outside the door. His tongue is hanging out of a mouth that looked like it was laughing...

Juicy Kisses
2017-09-14, 04:20 PM
Gustavo takes a drink from her mead, and without looking up from her book says,

"I shall join as well. I would like to see where this goes."

Justicar
2017-09-14, 07:43 PM
Janiven smiles as one after another, the small group pledges their aid. Hope filled her chest.

Sudden excited pounding at the front door disrupts the meeting. Immediately adopting a defensive posture, Janiven peers through a window at whoever’s knocking, then swiftly moves to the door, unlocks it, and opens it. In stumbles an out-of-breath and frightened-looking teenager.

"Morosino? What are you doing here?" she asks.

“They’ve got Arael!” he calls out, then immediately doubles over in a fit of coughing brought on by his long run. Janiven’s face grows grim as she comforts Morosino and asks him to explain himself; in a moment the lad recovers enough to spurt out, “The dottari nabbed Arael, and the Hellknights of the Rack are trying to get custody of him! There’s a bunch of Hellknights on their way here now! I only just made it in here; they’ve already surrounded us!”

At that point, the sound of clanking armor advancing on the tavern becomes apparent.

theasl
2017-09-14, 08:18 PM
"As I said, delivering us all to our deaths..." Marcius mutters again before raising his voice: "So...anyone know a way out of here that we won't be seen? I'd prefer not to fight through a troop of hellknights today."

HappyMerecat
2017-09-14, 08:39 PM
Taurg

Taurg's brows climb his face as he rose to his feet. "A back door?" He glad he brought his longspear.

Sense Motive [roll0] to read the honesty of Janiven & Morosino

Kvard51
2017-09-14, 11:06 PM
Giano looks at the woman who called them together. Nothing rings untrue about what she said. Even if she brought this down on them. "Surely you have another way out of here? Show them while I hold the door!".

He pushes the heavy table over in front of the door, throwing any locks and turning back to the others, "Go!"

Juicy Kisses
2017-09-15, 12:30 AM
Gustavo closes her book and hops down from her stool, moving towards the front door.

"I've got your back, Arms." she says, gesturing towards Guano.

"If we can bottleneck them through the door, I should be able to hold a few of them off." She waves her hands and energy crackles from them in a rainbow like pattern.

Preparing to cast color spray if they start coming through the door.

apheline
2017-09-15, 07:49 AM
Fiune shakes her head and begins to load her crossbow. "Any grates to the sewers in the kitchen? Any way out at all?"

Justicar
2017-09-15, 09:23 AM
Giano glances out the small window in the front door as he hastily erects a crude barricade. He sees a large group of six heavily armed and armored Hellknights and a dozen armigers (new inductees in the organization that serve the Hellknights as squires and porters) in the streets surrounding Vizio’s Tavern and advancing down the street, yet Janiven remains calm.

“I’m sorry about this. It was not part of the plan,” she says as the Hellknights start hammering on the locked doors of the place and demanding in booming voices for those within to come out and give themselves up. “Luckily, we planned for all contingencies. Follow me.” She and Morosino swiftly move behind the tavern’s decrepit bar, where they lift up a heavy trap door in the floor.

“This shaft drops down into the Westcrown sewers. By fleeing along this route, we should be able to lose the Hellknights quickly,” she breathlessly says as the pounding on the door increases.

apheline
2017-09-15, 09:29 AM
"Wow," Fiune mumbles, following Janiven, "I didn't really expect there to be a grate in the kitchen to the sewers..."

HappyMerecat
2017-09-15, 11:57 AM
Taurg

Taurg looks at the hole in the floor. "I assume there is no light and light would be helpful?" He reaches into his backpack and pulls out a sunrod.

Juicy Kisses
2017-09-15, 12:24 PM
Gustavo waits for everyone to be through the trapdoor before following behind.

Justicar
2017-09-15, 01:25 PM
In the basement that the panel led to, you find her opening a small secret door in the back of a floor-level cupboard. Janiven directs Morosino, Taurg and Fiune to crawl through the door and down the tunnel into the sewers. She tells you that Morosino knows the way.

"Keep going. I need to slow them down," she says.

She quickly closes the kitchen door, pulls down shelves to create obstacles, and uses a tanglefoot bag to further complicate things, following the last member of your team through the secret tunnel.

theasl
2017-09-15, 01:42 PM
Marcius, expecting trouble even though they're momentarily free of the hellknights, pulls his weapon out of his pack, though he makes sure not to stab anyone with it.

apheline
2017-09-15, 01:48 PM
Fiune follows Morosino with her crossbow at the ready in case there is an ambush waiting for us.

apheline
2017-09-15, 02:33 PM
Fiune whispers to Taurg, "Thanks for the light, I can't see too well down here and all these shadows are giving me the creeps. I'm okay with the dark when the moon is out, but down here it's too dark!"

Vozen
2017-09-15, 05:12 PM
Akane Had been in silent agreement with the venture (morality and likely profit? Sign me up!), but had decided to see how many others joined up before saying yes. Then things had gone all wrong. Figures, this is what you get when you stick your neck out.

"Wait up for me, I'd...rather not deal with the guard right now..." She said as she slipped swiftly into the sewer with the others. Yanking her blade free of her belt and holding it at her side just in case, the Kitsune in human form wrinkled her nose in disgust at the smell. "Ugh, sewers, it had to be sewers..."

HappyMerecat
2017-09-15, 06:02 PM
Taurg

Taurg holds up the sunrod so others can see in the pitch black of the sewers and nods to Fiune's thanks. "How far is the way out? I dun need the light so can scout ahead if needed or bring up the rear.

Kvard51
2017-09-15, 06:57 PM
"I'll rear guard. If they catch up, I'll engage. Drop the sun rod and run, in that case. The Saviour-Hound will guide my blade!

Giano makes sure everyone is past before falling in behind.

Justicar
2017-09-15, 07:13 PM
The secret tunnel under Vizio’s Tavern is rough-hewn and leads down along a 20-foot-long, 5-foot-wide hallway to a simple wooden door. The opposite side of the door has a wooden bar; as the group and their guides pass through, Janiven bars the door to help slow the sure-tobe- following Hellknights. Janiven also lights her sunrod. On the other side of the door is a sewer tunnel running to the left and right.

Morosino quickly points out a mark on the way. “Look for these. This one means we should flee to the left. Look for these marks at every intersection, if we get separated. The sword always points in the direction of the safe house.”

Janiven explains, “Arael and I made these marks a few months ago when we explored the sewers. We marked all the intersections so our people could find their way through the sewers to our hideout.

“Unfortunately, since that time, some of our marks have succumbed to water, subterranean flora, and vandalism by things living in the sewers, and the route is no longer perfectly clear. Be careful in case we get separated.”

However, before you all begin you flight through the sewers, she pushes aside a rock near the entrance to reveal a small hollow in the wall and sighs in relief. “Good,” she says, “They’re still here.” She apparently stashed a small cache of healing potions here a few weeks ago in the event of an emergency just like this one. “These will come in handy since I don’t think we have time to stop and rest as long as the Hellknights are after us.” She splits the potions up among the group (OOC: You each get three Potions of Cure Light Wounds).

As you head down the first path, the noise of the Hellknights back at Vizio’s Tavern diminishes, but Janiven is sure they’ll follow.

“They might take a few minutes to search in the tavern, but some are going to follow us down here after they grab a lantern or make torches. They might even try to infiltrate the sewers ahead of us if they can guess our route. I recognized the insignia on their armor. Those Hellknights belong to the Order of the Rack. I can work with some Hellknights, but that is one company even I don't want to mess with. We need to keep moving.”

Westcrown’s sewer system is a marvel of ancient engineering, designed by the same geniuses who built the Arch of Aroden in Corentyn. Though Westcrown is barely above sea level, the cleverly designed sewer tunnels continue to carry Westcrown’s filth away, and for the most part, citizens never think about the sanitation process that keeps the city relatively free of waste-borne illness. Individual tunnels are buttressed and rarely more than 5 feet high, forcing taller characters to stoop but not otherwise hindering most activity. Most tunnels are 10 feet wide, with a 3-foot-deep trench for sewage and water taking up half that width—even at peak flow the water level is an inch or more below the level of the walking side of the tunnel. Rainwater enters the sewers from tiny barred grates in the streets, most so small that an adult halfling couldn’t squeeze through, and travels through an angled pipe that directs the runoff to the closest tunnel’s drainage side, exiting about a foot above the peak flow-level of the sewer channel.

Entrances to (and thus exits from) the sewers are relatively rare. Since the sewers are so well engineered, the need for cleaning and maintenance is lower than in most cities. Entrances consist of rusted metal ladders leading up from the sewer to rectangular iron trap doors 10 feet above. Unfortunately, the city of Westcrown keeps all sewer entrances securely locked in order to prevent undesirables from using the sewers to move through the city with ease.

The sewer has no permanent lights. Even during the day, most have dim illumination at best from light trickling in though the drainage grates. This fading light as the sun begins to set spurs you on to get to the safe house Janiven is leading them to, but once night falls, anyone without a some means of seeing in the dark is going to need a light source.

If you want to know more (The Hellknights, the sewers, Janiven, etc.), you will have to make the appropriate skill rolls.

Also, for choosing to follow Janiven, you all get 200 XP.

Juicy Kisses
2017-09-16, 02:57 AM
Gustavo steps lightly through the sewers, raising her dress and trying to keep the filth off as best as possible.

"Not exactly the best circumstances to be meetimg new fellows. The dinner was much nicer, not often i take a walk through the sewers."

theasl
2017-09-16, 03:20 AM
Marcius is used to fighting alone in the dark, so it's nice to have a group and a light source this time. That said, he's not so sure that some of them could survive alone in the sewers. "We should try our best to stay together. We've got safety in numbers and more eyes to spot danger."

Vozen
2017-09-16, 05:35 AM
"We should try our best to stay together. We've got safety in numbers and more eyes to spot danger."

Akane gave a hum of affirmation, then spoke "Agreed, the more the merrier and all that rot. Let's get moving before we're followed. I'd normally take point, but in pitch darkness even my keen eyes won't do much...and the one spell I know that can help won't last long enough for this trek. Anyone who can see in this blackness, you first."

With that, she motioned with he free hand to the party, a hint of urgency in her motions.

HappyMerecat
2017-09-16, 09:57 AM
Taurg

Taurg hands the sunrod to Akane and takes the point, moving quietly, following the marks as requested.

Stealth [roll0]
Perception [roll1]

Kvard51
2017-09-16, 02:54 PM
Giano follows, just out of the brightest ring of the sunrod's glow. He purposefully avoids looking at the light source and keeps looking behind for the flare of torches.

[roll0]

Vozen
2017-09-16, 03:16 PM
Akane walks right behind Taurg lightly, holding the sunrod high above her head and peering into the darkness before her.

Perception: [roll0]
Stealth: [roll1]

Justicar
2017-09-16, 05:38 PM
You come to a four-way intersection has two small plank bridges allowing easy crossing of the sewer channels. One corner of the intersection has a larger area for the sewer channel with multiple pipes in the wall nearby. A door stands near a drainage channel in the wall, leading to a small side room that contains a cesspit. An archway connecting the main channel to the cesspit is only 1 foot higher than the level of the walking area—enough that a human could get through, but it would require touching the sewage.

As you enter the intersection, there is a loud screech as a goblin jumps out and strikes with his dogslicer, a crude slashing weapon, at Giano. After his useless attack, his eyes grow wide as he realizes that there are more people in the group than he has anticipated. He attempts to back away.

Attack: [roll0]
If Giano beats the initiative, he won’t be flat-footed. Either way, the goblin will attempt to disengage next.

Kvard51
2017-09-16, 09:32 PM
"By the Hound! If he hadn't screeched like that he would have had me!".

Giano sweeps a wide arc with his Falchion, seeking to cleave the beast in two.

Attack [roll0] for [roll1] Slashing damage

Vozen
2017-09-16, 10:04 PM
Akane dashed down the path and poised herself to attack with her trusty rapier. The sunrod held in her off-hand, the thief thrust forward with her blade. "Bah, damned pest!"

Attack [roll0] for [roll1] piercing damage.

Juicy Kisses
2017-09-17, 03:06 AM
Gustavo scans the area for more goblins, and prepares herself to fling her magic at any sign of a larger group of them.

Perception Check: [roll0]
Holding my action to cast color spray if there is a group of at least 3 goblins spotted.

theasl
2017-09-17, 03:16 AM
As the group advances, Marcius hears a shriek and sees a goblin coming out of nowhere, sword raised. His initial thought is that it could provide some useful information on what else could be down in the sewers, but as the others spring to attack, he feels no choice but to join in, striking at the creature with his klar.

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

HappyMerecat
2017-09-17, 07:46 AM
Taurg

Taurg sees the goblin attack at the far end of the group and forces himself stay flush to the wall and scan the whole area for more goblins. They don't tend to be solitary creatures.

Stealth[roll0]
Perception [roll1]
Knowledge(Local) [roll2] + [roll3] for knowledge of goblins

Justicar
2017-09-17, 03:13 PM
Marcius's klar neatly opens up the goblin from shoulder to hip. As a dying scream escaped its lips, the goblin's hand lashed out and found a small lever. The goblin's dead weight pulled the down as it fell, lifeless.

There is a loud rumble that seems to shakes the entire sewer. You all hear a low roar that grows louder and louder. You realize that the lever must have opened some distance tidewheel. Before any of you can react, a torrent of sewer water surges into the intersection. The raging river of sewage neatly bisects the causeway, dividing the group from Janiven and her ward. The waters are too deep, too violent and too wide to safely cross.

"Keep following the markings," Janiven shouts over the roaring waters. "I will meet you at the safe house."

apheline
2017-09-17, 04:33 PM
Fiune picks up the fox which had been walking by her side up until now. Tucking her under her arm, she runs as fast as she can to keep up with the taller party members.

HappyMerecat
2017-09-17, 05:55 PM
Taurg

Taurg begins to move ahead, following the marks. "Follow, only as close as you need to. I would rather not be in full light."

Justicar
2017-09-17, 06:16 PM
Moving along a side channel, you go about 60 feet before coming to another intersection. However, this one is partially collapsed and blocks a number of exits. There are three man-sized purples mushrooms growing among the rubble.

apheline
2017-09-17, 06:29 PM
Intrigued, Fiune walks up to and examines the mushrooms.

[roll0]

Justicar
2017-09-17, 07:33 PM
Fiune starts to approach the mushrooms when she suddenly recognizes them. They are known as 'shriekers'. These human-sized purple mushroom emits a piercing sound that lasts for a few seconds whenever there is movement or a light source within 10 feet. This shriek makes it impossible to hear any other sound within 50 feet. The sound can attracts nearby creatures that have learned that this noise means there is food or an intruder nearby.

It is unclear if those are those are naturally grown or were purposefully placed there at the intersection. However, it will take some careful maneuvering to make it past them without setting them off.

If you want to avoid activating the shriekers, you will need to extinguish all light sources. Then you will have to make either a Climb, Acrobatics or Stealth check to make it past. DC 10 for those with darkvision, DC 15 with those with lowlight vision and DC 20 for normal vision. Those with darkvision can use aid others for those that without any special vision.

apheline
2017-09-17, 07:44 PM
Fiune relays the information she knows about the shriekers to the others in a whisper. "We're going to need to get past or find another way I'm afraid...."

HappyMerecat
2017-09-17, 08:09 PM
Taurg

"We really have no option, but to get past, unless we know another way out. I think the real question is whether there is more to gain by taking time to try to get past quietly than just rushing past."

Vozen
2017-09-18, 12:16 AM
"We really have no option, but to get past, unless we know another way out. I think the real question is whether there is more to gain by taking time to try to get past quietly than just rushing past."

"I say we give sneaking a shot. If it goes wrong we bolt." Akane said, handing the sunrod back to Taurg "Here, pocket this, I have a better source of illumination for this bit."

Without further prompting, the woman held her free hand forward. With a small spark of magic called from within, four wisp-like Dancing Lights appeared past the Shriekers, holding position and forming a diamond pattern in the center of the pathway. The illumination was dim at the Shriekers, but far from non-existent. Interestingly it was not the work of a scroll or the arts of a wizard, the trained eye would note that it somewhat resembled sorcery, at least roughly.

"I'll go first...you can go last if you want orc-boy, I imagine those eyes of yours might actually do better without this spell. Hurry everyone, this won't last long." With that, Akane presses herself against the far wall and starting moving forward at a cautions pace. She tried to sneak past the mushrooms with as much grace as she could muster.

Stealth: [roll0]

Juicy Kisses
2017-09-18, 12:43 AM
Gustavo watches nervously as Akane attempts to sneak by. She looks over to Taurg, lightly placing a hand upon his shoulder,

"Orc-boy...Taurg was it?
I'm not usually horribly quiet, I don't suppose you could help me sneak by?"

theasl
2017-09-18, 12:58 AM
Without saying a word, Marcius tries to sneak by as well.

should have bought earplugs...

DC20 stealth [roll0] (+2 if aided)

HappyMerecat
2017-09-18, 08:07 AM
Taurg

Gustavo watches nervously as Akane attempts to sneak by. She looks over to Taurg, lightly placing a hand upon his shoulder,

"Orc-boy...Taurg was it?
I'm not usually horribly quiet, I don't suppose you could help me sneak by?"

Taurg nods.
Stealth to aid Gustavo [roll0]
Stealth for himself [roll1]

Kvard51
2017-09-18, 08:32 AM
Giano eyes the mushrooms carefully. "Sneaking isn't really my forte. But I think I see a way to climb past them without being noticed, just over there to the right. Wish me luck..."

Climb Check [roll0]

Juicy Kisses
2017-09-18, 11:38 AM
Gustavo attempts to sneak by with Taurg's help

Stealth Check: [roll0]

Justicar
2017-09-18, 08:16 PM
The party is able to sneak and climb past the trio of shriekers. After traveling another 60 feet through the winding sewer tunnels, you come to an intersection with three other tunnels branching off.

A Perception roll is needed to find the way marking.

HappyMerecat
2017-09-18, 08:20 PM
Taurg

Taurg examines the walls for the markings.

Perception [roll0]

theasl
2017-09-18, 08:23 PM
Marcius also searches the walls for a mark.

perception [roll0]

Justicar
2017-09-18, 09:44 PM
Marcius was easily able to find the marking. The way leads to another intersection with three tunnels. However, this time it appears that the mark is partially washed away.

It will take a DC 20 Perception to properly figure out what direction the marking was supposed to be pointed to.

HappyMerecat
2017-09-18, 10:00 PM
Taurg

"Hmm. The mark is worn off ... partly worn off." He looks at the marks closely.

Perception [roll0] + [roll1] inspiration

Justicar
2017-09-19, 08:04 AM
The faded markings initially stumped the party until Taurg has a flash of inspiration. Remembering how the previous markings had been arraigned, he was able to decipher the correct direction.

As you quickly move down the path, you come to a T-intersection with an old wooden tabletop serving as a improvised bridge over the sewer channel. A small simple door nearby blocks a brick-lined doorway. Another marking indicates that this is the way to go.

Taurg's roll to figure out the smudged markings would have failed if not for his inspiration...

Vozen
2017-09-19, 03:36 PM
As you quickly move down the path, you come to a T-intersection with an old wooden tabletop serving as a improvised bridge over the sewer channel. A small simple door nearby blocks a brick-lined doorway. Another marking indicates that this is the way to go.

"Hmm...hold on, let me check that." Akane said, stepping over to the simple door. She carefully pushes it open, attempting not to be noticed, and peaks on the other side.

Stealth: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

Justicar
2017-09-19, 07:35 PM
The room appears to be a maintenance room designed to hold the sewer workers. Inside you see roughly half a dozen skeletal corpses lying sprawled out on the ground. What furniture had once been in there appears to have been broken up and used as small bonfires spread out around the room.

Kvard51
2017-09-20, 03:43 PM
Seeing the dead lying around, as if they fell where they lay, gave Giano pause. There was something unnatural about it. "Wait a minute before we cross that threshhold. This feels wrong."

Giano moves as close to the door as he can manage, taking care to not step in. He searches his senses, looking for the telltale stench of evil.

Detect Evil in the room, taking time to visually search the room at the same time.

Perception [roll0]

Justicar
2017-09-20, 07:48 PM
Giano scanned the room for evil auras. He is unable to see anything diabolic within the room. All your normal vision can detect is that it has been months since this room had been disturbed.

theasl
2017-09-20, 07:50 PM
As Giano is scanning the room, Marcius takes a long look from the doorway as well.

perception [roll0] edit: even worse lol

HappyMerecat
2017-09-20, 07:58 PM
Taurg

"I take it that is not the way."

HappyMerecat
2017-09-21, 06:46 PM
Taurg

Seeing the door on the far side Taurg begins to quietly enter looking for traps or dangers as he goes.

Stealth [roll0]
Perception [roll1]

Kvard51
2017-09-21, 08:34 PM
"I sense nothing out of the ordinary."

Giano steps back to make room for Taurg, looking back the way they had just come for signs of pursuit.

Justicar
2017-09-21, 08:49 PM
As the group cautiously start to enter the room, Taurg got a better look at the room and corpses. There was no mark on the bodies. If anything, the bodies showed signs of starvation. This does not make sense as there does not appear to anything that was preventing them from leaving. No barricades. No signs of damage from anyone trying to break in. They merely never left as their supplies ran out.

Once inside, Marcius noticed something odd about the layout of the bonfires. If the workers had been under siege, you could think they would only use one or two fires to make the broken furniture used as kindling last as long as possible. However, they spread the bonfires around the room in a wasteful usage of resources. It was like they were maximizing the light within the room. Almost as if they were trying to keep the shadows at bay…

theasl
2017-09-23, 11:54 PM
As Marcius cautiously takes a step or two into the room, he instantly realizes what happened. The shadows. They hadn't ripped these people to shreds like the others, but the end result was the same. Calling out to the rest of the crew, he says: "Gather whatever light we can get and stay in it. There could be beasts lurking in the shadows."

HappyMerecat
2017-09-24, 07:56 AM
Taurg

Taurg pondered for a minute. Should he trust these people? "I don't see any injuries on them as if they were killed by physical blows."

apheline
2017-09-24, 09:47 AM
Fiune says a small prayer as she looks over the bodies.

Justicar
2017-09-24, 02:27 PM
As the party slowly moved through the room, their vigilance peaked, they slowly noticed that sound within the room seemed muffled. Taurg noticed that the shadows cast by their torches was acting strange, almost like a living creature recoiling from them.

Suddenly, the shadows surged forward and wrapped themselves around the corpses. As the tide of inky blackness retreated, the skeletons began to stir. Shadows the width of a single hair served as tendons at joints. The former maintenance workers stood up, clutching the tools of their former lives, and advanced on the group.

There are six skeletons. They are completely 'normal' undead with no additional powers or weakness. Bright light won't have any effect of them. They are merely refluffed to reflect the AP. The original reason for the skeletons being there was... lacking.

Initiative = 1d20]

Vozen
2017-09-25, 01:27 AM
Akane, none too fond of the undead, held her sword at the ready and muttered. "Oh...damn it all."

Initiative = [roll0]

theasl
2017-09-25, 02:05 AM
As the shadows begin to envelop the skeletons, Marcius immediately realizes what's happening. Before the nearest one can make a move to threaten the group, he rushes up and throws a fist at its dusty skull.

well, let's get the smashing started! skellies should be flat-footed until their first turn.

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1] B
sneak attack [roll2]

edit: well I guess it doesn't matter :smallmad:

Juicy Kisses
2017-09-25, 02:48 PM
Gustavo raises her hands, making herself as large as she can as she weaves her magic on Giano. He begins to grow until he doubles in size.

Casting Enlarge Person on Giano for 1 minute. +2 Str, -2 Dex, -1AC and Attacks, 10 foot reach.

HappyMerecat
2017-09-25, 08:55 PM
Taurg

Taurg shifts his position so he is 10' from any skeleton. and attacks with his spear. He also tries to recall anything he knows about undead.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Knowledge(Religion) [roll2] + [roll3]

Kvard51
2017-09-26, 11:05 AM
Giano feels the magic wash over him and begins to grow. He has experienced this magic before. He steps through the door, instinctually ducking his head, and brings his falchion crashing down into the mass of bones.

Move into the room, Attack [roll0] for [roll1] Slashing damage (Power Attack/Furious Focus/Falchion/Enlarge Person)

Confirm Crit 18-20/x2 - [roll2] for [roll3] extra damage.

apheline
2017-09-28, 12:17 PM
Fiune fires a crossbow bolt at the nearest skeleton.

[roll0] to hit
[roll1] damage

Justicar
2017-10-01, 10:12 PM
With one sweep of Giano's massive falchion, four of the skeletons were swept off their feet, their bones shattered. Meanwhile, Fiune's crossbow thudded into the shoulder of another skeleton, although it didn't seem to slow it down.

In response, one of the skeletons raked Giano with its broken blade. The final one ducked under Marcius's wild punch, but did not press its advantage.

Giano's takes 3 points of damage.

Kvard51
2017-10-03, 09:17 AM
Stepping forward another step to make sure he is clear of the others, Giano swings in a roundhouse arc, slashing at the skeletons in an attempt to end this quickly.

Attack [roll0] for [roll1] Slashing Damage

Crit confirm (18) [roll2] for [roll3] extra Damage

apheline
2017-10-03, 12:10 PM
Fiune fires off a bolt at any skeleton that continues to move.

[roll0] to hit
[roll1] damage

Justicar
2017-10-03, 09:23 PM
As the last skeleton crumbles, it almost seems like the darkness of the room recedes and place looks a little less oppressive. Whatever dark magic was moving the skeletons of the workers seems to have left the room.

Other than some rusted tools, there was nothing of value in the room. Therefore the party exits the maintenance bay on the other side. The sewer continues to weave underneath the city. The sewer tunnel makes a pair of alternating turns near two small wooden doors set in well-built brick frames. These zigzags appear to be manmade and created to avoid an
especially hard patch of stone rather than dig through. The larger room contains furniture in a combination of
desks, chairs, and sleeping pallets. It seems to have been used by a crazed loner who wanted privacy.

Almost at the same moment that you enter from your side of the room, the door opens from the other side of the room and six arguing hellknight armigers enter. There is an almost comical moment as they all pause mid-word and stare at you.

One of them quickly shakes off his shock and points at you. "It's the rebels! Get them!" he shouts.

Roll for initiative: [roll0]

Juicy Kisses
2017-10-09, 04:53 PM
Gustavo waves her hands in a swirl towards the hellknights, flashing colors swirling between them and then bursting towards the patrol.

Casting color spray at the highest concentration of the knights that I can get.

HappyMerecat
2017-10-09, 05:53 PM
Taurg

Taurg turns his longspear towards the enemy. He supposes it is too late to pretend they are not the rebels as the flashing colors go off.

Initiative [roll0]
He'll attack if any are in range moving to 10' range.
Attack[roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Kvard51
2017-10-09, 09:43 PM
Giano raises his hand-and-a-half sword in salute, then charges, seeking to end the fight quickly.

Charge attack with Falchion: [roll0] for [roll1] slashing damage

CritmConfirm on 18: [roll2] for [roll3] slashing damage

theasl
2017-10-10, 08:15 PM
Before the hellknights can react, Marcius has already dashed off towards them, striking with the blade of his klar at a vulnerable spot in their armor. He's survived the night - a couple hellknights shouldn't be a problem, or so he hopes.

attack roll [roll0]
damage [roll1] S
if flatfooted: sneak attack [roll2] for a total of 6 damage

apheline
2017-10-11, 11:07 AM
Fiune fires off another bolt at the nearest Hellknight.

[roll0] to hit
[roll1] damage

Justicar
2017-10-12, 07:53 PM
The six Hellknight Armigers rushed forward, taking bets on who would the first to take down one of the rebels. They seemed unconcerned that half of their number were struck by a spray of arcane energy, falling into the muck. Before the ones still standing got a chance to strike, Giano opened one up from shoulder to hip.

The last two squared off against Marcius and Giano. They tested the two rebels defenses before striking. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22472051&postcount=22) Marcius was able to parry his armiger's blow, but Giano wasn't so lucky (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22472057&postcount=23).

As Giano lay bleeding on the ground, the armiger begins to gloat and crow over his triumph. He won the bet.

Round One is complete. Three are unconscious for now, one is dead, one is fighting Marcius and the last one literally doing nothing. Per the module, if an Armiger drops a PC, he takes the next round to gloat and crow over his triumph unless there are other foes immediately adjacent to attack. I'll say that Fiune's bolt hit the gloating one.

theasl
2017-10-15, 12:29 AM
No time to worry about Giano for now - there's a more pressing threat. Marcius strikes again with his blade, hoping to down his foe before anyone else gets hurt.

attack roll [roll0]
damage [roll1] S

apheline
2017-10-15, 06:35 PM
Fiune leans over to Giano, placing a hand on his arm to steady him. Light pulses from her palm into his arm, healing his wounds slightly.

Healing Hex recovers [roll0] hp for Giano.

Juicy Kisses
2017-10-17, 01:13 PM
Gustavo prepares to cast her color spray once more if her allies fail to fell the final two hellknights.
Holding my action to cast color spray at the knights if they are both still standing once it gets to their initiative.

HappyMerecat
2017-10-17, 07:55 PM
Taurg

Taurg stabs past his allies at the nearest threat.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Kvard51
2017-10-17, 09:59 PM
Stepping back behind Taurg, Giano pulls a potion from his belt and quickly drinks it.

CLW Potion: [roll0]

Justicar
2017-10-18, 10:22 PM
The armiger that struck Giano became overconfident and turned his back on his adversary, believing him out of the battle. He moves to join his fellow armiger.

"Back off, this one's mine," his brother-in-arm snaps. Unfortunately, this distraction is enough to prevent him from attacking Marcius (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22490695&postcount=24).

Round 2 is over. Begin Round 3.

apheline
2017-10-19, 11:28 AM
Fiune decides to try and shoot the nearest adversary with her crossbow.

[roll0] to hit
[roll1] damage

Juicy Kisses
2017-10-19, 12:43 PM
Gustavo continues to restrain herself from taking action.

theasl
2017-10-19, 01:20 PM
Meanwhile, Marcius continues to swing futilely at the hellknights, this time launching a fist at a joint in the armor.

*yawn*

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1] B

Kvard51
2017-10-19, 04:21 PM
Giano steps back in front of the group, making a play to end the fight with a mighty swing of his falchion.

[roll0] for [roll1] slashing damage.

Crit Confirm [roll2] for [roll3] slashing damage.

Kvard51
2017-10-19, 04:24 PM
That should be +8 on the attack roll. So 17 to hit.

Justicar
2017-10-19, 08:13 PM
The armigers' argument would prove to be a fatal mistake. Giano was able to come up behind them and, with a single stroke, took out both armigers.

With that, the armigers standing had all been vanquished. However, it was only a matter of time before the unconscious armigers woke up.

apheline
2017-10-23, 12:17 PM
Fiune looks down at the unconscious enemies. "Perhaps we should tie them up? I have some rope in my bag."

Juicy Kisses
2017-10-23, 11:38 PM
Gustavo scoffs.

"Just kill them already,
They'll only be like that for a few seconds."

Kvard51
2017-10-24, 09:09 AM
Gustavo scoffs.

"Just kill them already,
They'll only be like that for a few seconds."

"Killing them serves no purpose. Bash them in the head enough so they don't wake soon and tie them up. Let's gather their weapons. Stash these thugs in the room with the dead."

Giano drinks another potion as he begins to do exactly as he suggested to everyone else.

CLW Potion: [roll0]

apheline
2017-10-24, 10:20 AM
Fiune nods and begins tying up the armigers.

theasl
2017-10-24, 01:15 PM
While the others are dealing with the fallen hellknights, Marcius goes over to the door they came out of and peeks out, looking for more signs of danger.

perception [roll0]

we should probably also loot them, eh?

Justicar
2017-10-24, 08:08 PM
The group quickly and methodically tie up the armigers before they fully awaken. Looking through their gear shows much all of their armor and weapons are emblazoned with the Order of the Rack's emblem and none of them are carrying any coin. However, each of the armigers is carrying a potion of cure light wounds.

After looting the groggy hellknights, the party quickly level the chamber.

The group find six potion of cure light wounds. Each of the armigers also have a chainmail, longsword, light crossbow with 20 bolts, if you want to take the chances.

Kvard51
2017-10-24, 08:23 PM
"Cut the strings on the crossbows if you don't want them. Then, let's dump the armor and weapons in the sewers so they won't come against us even if they get free. Take the potions and bolts and leave them tied up in the dead room. We need to be on our way."

Giano takes two potio s to replenish those he just used, and starts following the marks again after following his own suggestions.

Justicar
2017-10-26, 10:31 PM
After looting the bodies, the party leaves the chamber, the glares of the Hellknights on your backs. After several more twists, turns and intersections, you all start to believe the markings may be wrong and you're all just lost.

Just as you are about to give up hope, you hear the sound of combat up ahead. It sounds brief, yet violent. After a few screams of pain, there is silence. You don't know what is up ahead, but according to the markings, that is the direction you need to go in.

theasl
2017-10-27, 02:19 PM
"Careful", Marcius whispers as silence falls. Sneaking up to the next corner, he carefully peeks out, trying to see what's happening ahead.

perception [roll0]

Justicar
2017-10-29, 03:43 PM
You see a small group of four shambling zombies, dragging some corpses behind them. The undead appear to have just killed a group of three Hellknights without taking any damage in the fight. The Hellknights’ gear still on their bodies.

Unlike the skeletons, these undead don't seem to be animated by the shadows. Instead, there are extremely crude glyphs drawn on their skin and clothing. The most prominent features is the large dab of white paint on their chins.

theasl
2017-10-29, 07:54 PM
Marcius tries to think quickly - are there any necromantic organizations in town, or any that have similar patterns like the white paint?

knowledge (local) 17 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22520909&postcount=167)

Kvard51
2017-10-31, 09:01 AM
"I would not usually leave such creatures free to wander and wreak havock under my city, but perhaps it would be prudent to allow these beasts to pass so they create a buffer between us and any Hellknights still dogging our tail?" Giano looks pained at such an idea, but an idea, once spoken, cannot be retracted.

apheline
2017-10-31, 10:52 AM
Fiune whispers, "I would have to agree. Do you see any way to sneak around them?"

theasl
2017-11-01, 01:54 PM
"I don't see any other way around them, do any of you?" Marcius whispers, after looking around,