PDA

View Full Version : Equivalent bonus

Eko
2017-09-12, 11:21 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm giving my party wizard an ability that lets him cast a spell of any level, restricted by the school they have chosen (Must be at the spell lowest possible level). He must of course know and have the spell prepared.

What kind of similar-power upgrade/ability could I give the party warlock and druid? Ideally not an item, because those can be lost. I'm thinking of giving the warlock an extra invocation, which seems pretty fair, but I'm really unsure about the druid. It's a moon druid, by the way, and the party is level 3.

Any help?

Renvir
2017-09-12, 11:26 PM
Perhaps the moon druid can choose 1 non-beast form to wildshape into. It would still have to meet the other requirements for wildshaping but opening it up to fey, elementals, monstrosities, etc. could work.

Eko
2017-09-12, 11:32 PM
Perhaps the moon druid can choose 1 non-beast form to wildshape into. It would still have to meet the other requirements for wildshaping but opening it up to fey, elementals, monstrosities, etc. could work.

Oh that's really good! I'd have to find something thematic, and probably open up more options as he levels up in order to keep up with the potential of the other abilities, but I really like this!

Renvir
2017-09-12, 11:40 PM
I don't know much about your setting but things like undead, demons, devils, and angels don't really have a "wildshape" feel. Fey or elementals are probably the easiest to add thematically due to their connection to the wilds and mechanically because most druids will have a list of fey and elementals ready for summoning so you don't have to go looking for new stuff.

Eko
2017-09-12, 11:51 PM
I don't know much about your setting but things like undead, demons, devils, and angels don't really have a "wildshape" feel. Fey or elementals are probably the easiest to add thematically due to their connection to the wilds and mechanically because most druids will have a list of fey and elementals ready for summoning so you don't have to go looking for new stuff.

He's a Firbolg, so fey and plant types works really well. Can't find many fey creatures, but Awakened Tree works surprisingly well.

Renvir
2017-09-13, 12:15 AM
He's a Firbolg, so fey and plant types works really well. Can't find many fey creatures, but Awakened Tree works surprisingly well.

You'll want to try Volo's Guide to Monsters for more fey and beasts. They added at least half a dozen of each.

DarkKnightJin
2017-09-13, 02:54 AM
For the Warlock.. perhaps giving them a single 1st level spell slot that recharges on a short and/or long rest might work. Perhaps a single casting of a non-Warlock spell (like Shield or Absorb Elements, for instance) per day as if they had Magic Initiate could work. It's a little boost of power.
Or perhaps give them the ability that they can keep up Concentration on Hex and another spell at the same time.
Mind you, they'd need to make 2 Conc saves when they take damage, one for each spell.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-09-13, 03:14 AM
For the warlock i would give him another spells slot. Or maybe a custom invocation. depends on the type of warlock i guess...

Edit: I mean you're giving the wizard and moon druid things they could never do before, or rather faster if they could do it at all. So having the warlock able to do something it couldn't do would be great. option of another pact boon? an improved pact boon type invo?

DarkKnightJin
2017-09-13, 04:41 AM
For the warlock i would give him another spells slot. Or maybe a custom invocation. depends on the type of warlock i guess...

Edit: I mean you're giving the wizard and moon druid things they could never do before, or rather faster if they could do it at all. So having the warlock able to do something it couldn't do would be great. option of another pact boon? an improved pact boon type invo?

You made me think about something for the boons.
Blade: Summon the weapon as a bonus action instead of an action. At [character level x], the Improved Pact Weapon goes from +1 to +2. Might work for spell attack rolls as well.
Myabe allow them to make a Ranged Pact Weapon.

Chain: Similar to what the Druid got: improved Familiar. Up the CR limit for the beastie. Give them more options.

Tome: Give them access to a set number of 1st level spells from other lists. Perhaps let it evolve to higher spell levels as the game goes on. Possibly allow 1-2 spell non-Warlock slots per level that recharge on a long rest.

Azgeroth
2017-09-13, 05:11 AM
Blade: Summon the weapon as a bonus action instead of an action. At [character level x], the Improved Pact Weapon goes from +1 to +2. Might work for spell attack rolls as well.

Chain: Similar to what the Druid got: improved Familiar. Up the CR limit for the beastie. Give them more options.

Tome: Give them access to a set number of 1st level spells from other lists. Perhaps let it evolve to higher spell levels as the game goes on. Possibly allow 1-2 spell non-Warlock slots per level that recharge on a long rest.

im not familiar with the blade pact, but maybe giving them an extra d8 damage on attacks? (i know you can make a ranged weapon your pact weapon, so thats already covered)

for chain, maybe something akin to the revised BM Ranger, let the familiar grow in power, more HP, better AC, new abilities/spells

for the tome, magical secrets? or just give them ALL the ritual spells.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-09-13, 11:54 AM

Well the blade can be a ranged weapon, but you got to work for it. Has to be a magical ranged weapon then perform the ritual. You can do this with an actual magic bow, or have a friend cast magic weapon at the same time for an hour (ritual and spell resolve at same time i would think), and if you're a hexblade you can do it yourself.

DarkKnightJin
2017-09-13, 04:16 PM
For the tome, magical secrets? or just give them ALL the ritual spells.

Ritual casting with Tome is already an Invocation. Giving them ALL the ritual spells means they don't have to look for any. This takes power away from the DM about what spells/rituals they gain access to. So I would advise against going down that road.

And the Tome's expanded spell list would already be Magical Secrets, since you can pick a spell from any spell list, and it would count ad a Warlock spell for them.

I think giving them a choice of a 1st level spell from any list, and 1 or 2 spell slots of that level that refresh on a long rest, would be a nice bump. Allows them to use the spells without having to worry about using the limited short rest slots they have for a spell that might not have an upcast effect.

At higher levels of play, you could give them another round of Magical Secrets like that. And another 1 or 2 slots of that level to cast their pilfered spell.

But that's just me spitballing something for the Warlock, and trying to keep it just a bump, and not OP so they outshine the others.