PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Factotums

BardicDuelist
2007-08-13, 02:06 AM
Sone questions:
Do abilities like oppertunistic piety and cunning strike count as prerequisites? Since you have the ability to turn undead, and can make a sneak attack?

Would extra turning work like this: Can use oppertunistic piety (at a cost of 1 inspiration point per use) 3+wis times per day, plus an additional 4 times which can only be used to turn undead.

Can you spend any number of inspiration points on cunning strike (to gain extra SA)?

Is a 3 level swashbuckeler dip worth it for insightful strike?

Which spells are best to mimic? Obviously saving throw are bad, as are ones closely related to level (such as color spray) since by the time you get them they are less powerful.

Are there any loopholes/variants which can be exploited? (specifically when it comes to spellcasting?)

Should one go straight for chameleon, and for how many levels?

Overlard
2007-08-13, 05:36 AM
Sone questions:
Do abilities like oppertunistic piety and cunning strike count as prerequisites? Since you have the ability to turn undead, and can make a sneak attack?
It's an iffy one I think. On the one hand, you can qualify for feats & PrCs by way of magic items (Gauntlets of +2 Str bringing your str up to 13 for Power Attack etc.), but it still seems a bit odd.

Personally I'd allow them to qualify on the turn undead basis, as they have a class feature almost specifically for that, rather than one that can be used for a dozen different things.

Would extra turning work like this: Can use oppertunistic piety (at a cost of 1 inspiration point per use) 3+wis times per day, plus an additional 4 times which can only be used to turn undead.
That's how I'd use it.

Can you spend any number of inspiration points on cunning strike (to gain extra SA)?
Yes.

Is a 3 level swashbuckeler dip worth it for insightful strike?
That really depends on how you want your character to go. The first 3 levels of swash are useful ones, and will help boost your weak fort save too. Is it really worth it compared to the last 3 levels of factotum though? I'd probably say no.

Which spells are best to mimic? Obviously saving throw are bad, as are ones closely related to level (such as color spray) since by the time you get them they are less powerful.
Ray Of Enfeeblement is always a good one - high effect, no save. Only prepare ones with saves later on if you know what you're facing and can pick one to suit their weak save.

Are there any loopholes/variants which can be exploited? (specifically when it comes to spellcasting?)
Undoubtedly. I just don't know any.

Should one go straight for chameleon, and for how many levels?
Mechanically, it's a good build. I've seen suggestions for just about every mix, so it's probably hard to go too wrong.

Skjaldbakka
2007-08-13, 05:39 AM
Opportunistic Piety. Wow, that is awesome. Heh.