PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Parry based 2 Weapon build help

Hal0Badger
2017-09-13, 10:03 AM
I am opening a new game for my friends, and almost all of them are newcomers. So, I am preparing their character for them, asking them for guidance on what they want to do with their character.

One of them asked a 2 sword user, based on parry if possible. I am a 3.5 veteran, but have limited knowledge in Pathfinder. I know there isn't something like a parry in 3.5 but, I thought I could emulate it with AoO build (like rogular gambit/karmic strike) in 3.5, but I lack the system mastery in pathfinder to do so, therefore I need help.
All the stuff, excluding 3rd party, from d20pfsrd can be used.

Disclamer: this does not need to be too solid in terms of optimization. I am the DM and I intend to run an easy game. So, it just should feel like he is parrying/attacking with his 2 swords. If the build is a single class and comes online at early levels, that would be great.

If it is not possible, this guy was willing to play a two weapon melee, and I am open to suggestions.

Geddy2112
2017-09-13, 10:42 AM
The two classes in pathfinder that can formally parry are swashbuckler and duelist, which is a prestiege class. Swashbuckler can parry at level 1. The thing is, both classes are pretty focused on using a 1 handed weapon with no weapon in the off hand. The swashbuckler option is much better, as it uses AoO's to parry, and the immediate action to riposte, while the duelist must forgo an attack and use an immideate action to parry. The duelist can parry attacks against ajacent enemies though.

There are a lot of feats and ways to mock parrying by having a high AC from two weapons(two weapon defense, dodge) as well.

A 2 handed swashbuckler would be your best bet, but really, the build is very subpar as far as damage goes. Your parrying ability is based on AoO's, so with good dex and combat reflexes you can parry a lot of attacks, so long as you have panache, which requires CHA. The swashbuckler can parry and riposte from the get go, regaining panache from crits and killing blows with light or 1 handed piercing weapons.

With a single dip into swashbuckler and combat reflexes as your first level feat, then we can focus on two weapon fighting. This requires the TWF feat tree(TWF, improved, greater, double slice, two weapon rend) obviously, and is DEX intensive. Here, at least three levels in unchained rogue will give dex to damage with a finesseable weapon(use two short swords) and 2d6 sneak attack. Sneak attack loves multiple attacks, and TWF throws a lot. After that, you could continue the character as a rogue, or add some other CHA class like paladin for smiting and CHA to AC. You can also go with fighter(two weapon or vanilla) as the bonus feats help get TWF online, or ranger, which can get free TWF feats even without meeting prerequisites(although you will have high dex) depending on what else the character wants to do. Rogue is only 3/4 BAB and having full BAB is going to be a major advantage.

Another way to go is inspired blade, using a rapier and then dagger or something in the off hand. It is subpar to dual shortswords, but it does allow you to use INT and CHA for panache, allowing you to either dump CHA and make a major skills based rogue, or have both and have tons of panache for riposting. At a high enough level, the two weapon warrior fighter can eventually dual wield rapiers as dual light weapons.

For ability scores: DEX>CHA>CON>WIS>INT>STR, bump INT and/orswap INT and CHA if you go inspired blade. So the build is swash 1 unchained rogue 3 then rogue/fighter/ranger/paladin/whatever.

For a really zany edition of this build, you can go swash 1, unchained titan mauler barbarian 2, unchained rogue 3, and dual wield elven branched spears. The thing is, because they have reach you won't be able to riposte, and it could be argued you can't parry adjacent enemies either.

Psyren
2017-09-13, 10:53 AM
Another way: Master of Many Styles Monk with Ascetic Style + Panther Style will let you dual-wield swords and react to attacks before they land. Combine with Crane Style later and you can react to an attack, debuff them when you hit, and when they miss that attack, you can punish them yet again. You'll want a pretty high Dex for all those AoOs of course.

Ninjaxenomorph
2017-09-13, 11:04 AM
There is a dueling dagger in Adventurer's Armor 2 (as dagger but a martial weapon) that, when fighting defensively or using Combat Expertise, increases the AC bonus by 1. I've also heard of a Duelist build that uses an off-hand weapon to parry using its class features, using a TWF's extra attack to sacrifice for the parry.