PDA

View Full Version : Optimization DM is having us play is his homebrew multiclass want to figure out how to optimize it

Enochi
2017-09-13, 02:36 PM
Basiclly its a werid class that has the potential to do a bit of everything.

Every odd level you get one class "Feat" which is basically any base class ability of equal or lower level.
Gain normal feats at even levels + 1 at starting level.
Can Take flaws (Up to 3 1 flaw may be for a class ability)

HD: d8
1 good save 2 bad saves your choice
Can take 2 flaws
3+Int Skills
Light armor
Simple and Martial weapons
Class feats for Spell casting
Uses "spell points" from unearthed arcana (Note this lets you apply metamagic with ease to your highest level spell by spending more spellpoints)

Starting level 2

Arcane Casters
Arcane Magic class feat
Spellcraft (arcane) ranks equal caster level
Knowledge (arcane) ranks equal caster level
Spellcraft & knowledge levels must equal to cast spells ( caster level is the lower )
Arcane casters may specialize as a wizard does
Spellbook:
1st level = all 0-level & 2 + Int modifier 1st-level spells
2nd level & above = 2 + Int modifier
Spells per Day:
0-Level spells = ability bonus
1st thru 9th level spells = level + ability modifier
Spell Points = charaacter level + ability modifier
Spell cost = spell level
Metamagic: additional levels = additional spell points

Divine Divine Magic class feat
Spellcraft ranks equal caster level
Knowledge (religion) ranks equal caster level
Spellcraft & knowledge levels must equal to cast spells ( caster level is the lower )
Divine casters choose ( 2 ) spell domains
Divine casters prepair spells as the cleric class does
Spells per Day:
Spell cost = spell level

Spontanous Casting
Arcane/Divine Magic class feat
Spontanous Casting Fear
Spellcraft (arcane/divine) ranks equal caster level
Knowledge (arcane/divine) ranks equal caster level
Known Spells = character level for each spell level
Spell Points = 2 x character level + ability modifier
Spell cost = spell level

Use Magic Device Skill equil to character level required to use class type magic items. ( no check )

Looking everything over seems to me that spellcasting is going to be much stronger then anything else what is everyone elses thoughts?

Edit: Okay spoke with the DM and he gave me some info that makes spell casting a little nuts in versatility but very lacking in quantity.

Spells don't have slots and run off spell points. You have a number of spell points equal to your level + Ability mod. You only have one "pool" so Divine and Arcane share points. Spell cost their level in points so Level 1 spell 1 point level 2 spells 2 points etc. However because of this Spell point system I can apply metamagic on the fly and earlier then normal possible and my prepared spells can be cast multiple times (Meaning I could prepare magic missile just once but cast it till my pool is empty)

So the VERY limiting number of spell points might make going all in on magic less viable as magic in this systems doesn't scale anywhere near as strongly as a normal class.

ngilop
2017-09-13, 03:02 PM

Every odd level you get one class "Feat" which is basically any base class ability of equal or lower level.

Can take 2 flaws
3+Int Skills
Light armor
Uses "spell points" from unearthed arcana (Note this lets you apply metamagic with ease to your highest level spell by spending more spellpoints)

Starting level 2

Arcane Casters
Arcane Magic class feat
Spellbook:
Spells per Day:
Spell cost = spell level

Spells per Day:
Spell cost = spell level

Spontanous Casting
Spontanous Casting Fear
Spell cost = spell level

Use Magic Device Skill equil to character level required to use class type magic items. ( no check )

Looking everything over seems to me that spellcasting is going to be much stronger then anything else what is everyone elses thoughts?

SO you are basically going to be a wizard with your choice of a good save, most weapon prof the ability to cast in light armor, a bunch of bonus feats-like a fighter but applicable to any feat you want, and i'm guessing a cleric style base attack bonus?

SO basically do everything you read on these forums a wizard can do. but you get a nice boost in the base of the class as well.

I am surprised that everybody just don't play this class to begin with.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-09-13, 04:11 PM
If I'm understanding this correctly...

Level 1: Arcane Casting, Divine Casting (Flaw)
Level 3: Turn Undead
Level 5: Wild Shape

You now have what are probably the four strongest abilities in the game, at full power. Use your divine casting to Persist a crapton of spells to buff yourself, turn into something scary to buff yourself more, and lay waste with arcane spells as you go along.

Zombulian
2017-09-13, 04:26 PM

Can take 2 flaws
3+Int Skills
Light armor

Starting level 2

Arcane Casters
Arcane Magic class feat
Spellbook:
Spells per Day:
Spell cost = spell level

Spells per Day:
Spell cost = spell level

Spontanous Casting
Spontanous Casting Fear
Spell cost = spell level

You may just want to point your DM to the Generic Classes already created in 3.5 as that seems to be the vibe they're going for... but they have no idea what they're getting into.

Edit: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm

Dezea
2017-09-13, 04:30 PM
If I'm understanding this correctly...

Level 1: Arcane Casting, Divine Casting (Flaw)
Level 3: Turn Undead
Level 5: Wild Shape

You now have what are probably the four strongest abilities in the game, at full power. Use your divine casting to Persist a crapton of spells to buff yourself, turn into something scary to buff yourself more, and lay waste with arcane spells as you go along.

I was about to point this exactly. Your DM is about to see is idea transform into hell on earth - Or golarion, or whatever - and I would strongly advise to either speak with other player to make sure noone is cheesing even a little bit out of it, or, more simply, pointing to your DM how his system will just explode after just a tiny bit of optimization.

Actually, if you were to restrict yourself to mostly mundane ability, with maybe a little bit of SLA to spice things up, it could be enjoyable. I guess. Except for your dm, who now needs to spends months building every importants NPCs.

Enochi
2017-09-13, 06:32 PM
So arcane caster(Wizard casting) and Divine caster(Archvist) Probably my best bet?

Edit: Okay spoke with the DM and he gave me some info that makes spell casting a little nuts in versatility but very lacking in quantity.

Spells don't have slots and run off spell points. You have a number of spell points equal to your level + Ability mod. You only have one "pool" so Divine and Arcane share points. Spell cost their level in points so Level 1 spell 1 point level 2 spells 2 points etc. However because of this Spell point system I can apply metamagic on the fly and earlier then normal possible and my prepared spells can be cast multiple times (Meaning I could prepare magic missile just once but cast it till my pool is empty)

So the VERY limiting number of spell points might make going all in on magic less viable as magic in this systems doesn't scale anywhere near as strongly as a normal class.

TheIronGolem
2017-09-13, 08:10 PM
So arcane caster(Wizard casting) and Divine caster(Archvist) Probably my best bet?

I think this really just further encourages the 15-minute adventuring day. Besides, as what is effectively a tristalt Wiz//Clr//Drd you have the ability to spend your downtime loading up on scrolls and wands of damn near any spell in the game, which kinda defangs the resource constraint of spell points.

Enochi
2017-09-13, 10:41 PM
Working on this so far Found out that All flaws can be Class Ability

Well here is a first go at it.

Race Human

Level 1 Feat: Faerie Mysteries Initate
Human Feat: Persist Spell
Flaw 1: Divine Metamagic (Persist Spell)
Flaw 2: Turn Undead
Flaw 3: Dark Knowledge
Class ability: Divine Magic (Archivist)
Domains: Knowledge (swaped to Knowledge devotion)
Domain: Planning (Extend Spell)
Level 2 Feat: Scribe Scroll
------------------------------------------------------------------
Level 3 (Projected) Arcane Spellcasting

Stats: (32 points to spend, Stats can be bought to 20, Start at 8, 1 point for 1 point to ability Score)

4 STR: 12
4 DEX: 12
4 CON: 12
12 INT: 20
4 WIS: 12
4 CHA: 12

Skills: (1 Skill point a level no x4 at start) Pick 10 skills to be class skills. Spellcraft split into 2 skills

Spellcraft Arcane: 2
Spellcraft Divine: 2
Knowledge Religon: 2
Knowledge Arcana: 2
Knowledge Dungeoneering: 2
Knowledge Nature: 2
Knowledge Planes: 2
Knowledge Local: 2
Concentration: 1
Use Magic Device: 1

2 Spent on Collector of Stories

125 GP Armor: Chain Shirt + Dastana for AC +5 giving me a 16 AC
300 GP spent for 6 +2 Masterwork tools (Knowledge)

Knowledge Devotion and Dark Knowledge checks should be about +15

HP should be about 24ish (Max hp to start then 3/4ths after)

Saves are weak:
+4 Fort
+1 Reflex
+1 Will

Am I going for Divine metamagic Persist spell too early? What flaws should I take?

GrayDeath
2017-09-14, 06:39 AM
Forst let me agree that this class is far FAR too powerful.

Now thats out of the way: Drop Strength to 8 (or at the very most 10), same with Charisma. Increase Wisdom (unless you dont want to cast divine spells?^^), save the Divine Metamagicking for later, get Arcane Casting at Level 1, cherry pick your Spells, be insanely OP from the get go. :)

Enochi
2017-09-14, 05:28 PM
Okay so I will adjust a bit.

In the mean time what spells should I take from wizard and cleric.... and what divine spells from other classes should I grab via scroll.

GrayDeath
2017-09-15, 02:32 PM
Depends on what you want to be.

There are tons and tons of options (good to great ones even^^) in both lists and with other classes. First however you need to determine the goal.

The obvious thing of picking other classes for when the spells are of lower level aside ;)

Enochi
2017-09-16, 02:03 AM
Well I have 18 spells to start with. So I think I can cover fairly wide breath of features.

GrayDeath
2017-09-16, 10:56 AM
Is there no limit as to how many have to come from which side of casting? And I am assuming this includes the usual cantrips/Level 0 Spells?

Still, going "I have a lot of spells to spend" not a concept makes. :smallcool:

Enochi
2017-09-16, 02:36 PM
Its also the fact. I play spell casters very infrequently so having such an insanely wide array of spells and the fact I have access to ALL the books makes me a little gun-shy and asking for help.

GrayDeath
2017-09-16, 02:50 PM
Yes, I get that.

But for the third time: Unless you can tell us your overall CONCEPT we cannot really help you pick.

Do you want BFC? BLasting? Summoning? Buffing? Something of everything? What?

The curse of all the options" is that its hard to tell you what you should take. ;)

Enochi
2017-09-16, 03:39 PM
Ah sorry. Probably focusing on Buffing. With more focus on SELF-buffing.

Enochi
2017-09-16, 07:12 PM
Here is what I have found so far any suggestions on things I might have missed?

Spells:
Wiz
1: Fist of Stone
Beign Transposition
Mordenkainen’s Buzzing Bee
Power Word: Pain
Mighty Wallop
Sticky Floor
Create Trap
Enlarge Person
Shield

Cleric:
1: Regenerate Light Wounds
Scholar's Touch
Vigor Lesser
Protection from Evil
Protection from Chaos
Divine Favor
Comprehend Languages
Cure Light wounds
Hide from Undead

Bought:
1: Weapon Augmentation, Personal (25 gp)
Snake's Swiftness (25 gp)
Shillelagh (Druid) (25 gp)
*Friendly Face (25 gp)
Nerveskitter (25 gp)

2: Regenerate Moderate wounds(Druid) (150 gp)
Haste Swift (Ranger) (150 gp)
Righteous Fury (Paladin)
Snake's Swiftness, Legion (Druid) (150 gp)
Tiger's Tooth (Druid)

GilesTheCleric
2017-09-16, 07:22 PM
Cleric:
1: Regenerate Light Wounds
Scholar's Touch
Vigor Lesser
Protection from Evil
Protection from Chaos
Divine Favor
Comprehend Languages
Cure Light wounds
Hide from Undead

Regenerate Light Wounds was updated by Lesser Vigour in 3.5. Having both Protection from Evil and Protection from Chaos is redundant; the features you're interested in will function regardless of the alignment of your foe. Comprehend Languages is a spell you only need during downtime, and probably can do fine with on a scroll; Hide from Undead is a spell you need never.

If your party is amenable to it, ask if they can all worship the same deity so you can use Faith Healing rather than Cure Light Wounds. I also recommend getting CLW on a stick as soon as possible (probably with a partially-charged wand at that level, if your GM allows them), which will allow you to remove that spell from your list.