PDA

View Full Version : Counter Proposal: We kill you?

Aembrosia
2017-09-13, 03:12 PM
You come upon a passage in a dungeon guarded by a sphinx. An archway marks the corridor, it is adorned in platinum filigree proclaiming to be the path to obscene riches; An ancient hold of incredible magic power. The riddling beast finishes munching on a selection of his conjured meal then speaks:

"If you wish to cross my path you must answer a question, correctly." It lifts its form up off the floor, bones creaking, muscles rippling. Legs powerful enough to crush you, claws sharp enough to slice you in two. "If you are familiar with my kind you must know we are not kind. We are as deadly as we are gluttonous, and so you must understand that but a single guess is my benevolent gift to you. If you are right," it looks behind with a brief gaze, "you may pass. But if you are wrong..." with a flick of its tongue as it smacks its lips the creature's maw wickedly widens to foul grin. "I will eat you."

In remote ruins a sacharine shriek
Her woeful dirge doth heed
Under detritus undeterred
Glinting glory peeks

These and more are all they keep
For they are those that keep in keep

The vampiir in his castle fills his with memories of days gone by.
The serpent winged in the sky
Slave to avarice till the day he die
Filling mountain to the brim
More, more, more, more, hoard

Hobgoblins with their armament hordes
Or hordes of orcs
Their trophies earned
Dangling from cords
The reason for the sign on every merchant store.

The beholder holding old lost lore
And refined ore in holes he bore
A labyrinth For heroes chasing fortune
Forged by dwarves long before.

The sphinx, thats me, with charity, fills his with rewards for promises kept.

Leviathan deep e'er watchful
Through dark waters creep.
A place of wonder that merro sing
Beaconing to your greed
You come to feed the king.

Where the undead archmage slept dreaming of fools
And what they seek

Those heroes come to cut me down
Then for what they found they wept.
My keep keeps no crown.
No pound of flesh.
A bank bereft.

Those monsters many have all one
but i have won, you see
For i am the one who keeps keeps
I have one for each.

Who or what am I?

___
In dungeons and dragons a good puzzle or trap, and oh boy is this the latter, has more than one answer.
If I or you were to only accept one possible answer EVER then the puzzle would be solved NEVER.
Eventually someone at the table is going to theorize something clever, you'll know it because a thrum
of optimistic concurrence will wash over the table; following the flashbang moment of silence after, not the, a solution is spoken.

If you arrive here looking to participate we have seen such excellent suggestions as:
The Sphinx
The Dungeon Master
- This assumes the riddle is a red herring. "Who or what am I", is the question and "answer a question, correctly" is the stated challenge.

The Storyteller
- It feels like a correct answer in the context of the riddle and the game.

Lair or Vault, Challenges or Obstacles, Knowledge or headspace (IE everything boutsofinsanity said because he bothered to work it out.)
- compelling argument was provided.

Names
- entirely reasonable conclusion. All the creatures have a name and a name can have names for its name, there can be more names than things to be named.

Coffee_Dragon
2017-09-13, 05:19 PM
The sphinx, thats me

Who or what am I?

Uhh... the sphinx?

Aembrosia
2017-09-13, 09:35 PM
Uhh... the sphinx?

om nom nom nom

*belch*

TalksAlone
2017-09-14, 04:26 AM
You are the Dungeon Master.

Coffee_Dragon
2017-09-14, 07:38 AM
om nom nom nom

*belch*

So you're not constrained to tell the truth? Then the answer could be anything.

My second guess would have been "purple prose".

DevilMcam
2017-09-14, 07:43 AM
It's treasure,
I do hope it is.

Aett_Thorn
2017-09-14, 07:51 AM
What are dreams?

Azgeroth
2017-09-14, 07:54 AM
wanton greed

Aembrosia
2017-09-14, 10:57 AM
So you're not constrained to tell the truth? Then the answer could be anything.

Protesting from the belly of the beast your muffled quips fall on deaf ears. You take 13 acid damage as the creature begins to digest you.

smcmike
2017-09-14, 10:59 AM

It may be purple, but it's not prose. The answer is clearly "Vogon Poetry."

Finieous
2017-09-14, 11:06 AM

[snip]

Who or what am I?

Someone who improperly changes POV in his riddles?

Aembrosia
2017-09-14, 11:24 AM
What are dreams?

The Sphinx planeshifts you to Permafrostoria. A demiplane constructed by frost giants that were not invited to work on Ostoria. It is comprised entirely of walk in freezers. You see a small clockwork device with a small sheet of paper sticking out of a thin slit. A sign says please take a number.

The piece of paper reads "You are [288] to be consumed."

DeathChallenged
2017-09-14, 11:34 AM
You have already told us what you are in the middle of your riddle. You do not need to hide behind lenghty words or play us like a fiddle. The answer is the truth which you wish not to seek, even though we had a peek. While normally the answer should be greed or money, we know it's you acting funny. If you are so disillusioned to what you are, then even in our deaths you will not go far.

Though even though the answer is clear, you already killed one that gave it I fear. So I guess I will say it in a different way, maybe that will have some sway.

It's not what you proclaim to be, or what you do. You are you.

Aembrosia
2017-09-14, 12:41 PM
It's not what you proclaim to be, or what you do. You are you.

The sphinx' smug look slowly fades as he turns his souring mug toward you. It settles back on its hind legs and begins a slow clap with its massive paws; and then a pause. He speaks.

"You must think you're so smart. Supposing you can come in here and start. With me? No. Whoever you be. Bard or scholar? Your literary offering withers at my altar." the sphinx rubs his broiling gullet. "You truly are such a bore... I might have room for just one more. He was wrong and so too are you. In ten hours you'll both be poo." he eats you.

"His scheme was impeccable, i do mean the rhyme. Are there any more clever adventurer's among you? I have plenty of time..."

BoutsofInsanity
2017-09-14, 02:41 PM
Someone mentioned Greed, or Avarice or Wanton Gluttony above, I wish to see if that were the answer.

What follows is my attempt if those aren't correct, to guess out what you have or reason out the answer...

Translated:

In ruins a sweet shrieking heralds a sparkling glory hiding beneath crumbled dust and stone that you can barely see.

These (Sparkling Glory) is what they hold, for they are those who would possess (it) within a structure or holding

The Vampire in his castle fills his (Blank) with memories of days gone by,

The Serpent who is winged in the sky, is a slave to avarice (Greed) till he dies. Fills the mountain to the brim with more, more, more, hoard (Could be treasure)

The Hobgoblins with their equipment/military (Hordes which may actually mean hoard, but we will go with the spelling we have) Hordes or gathers together as a group,

Or Hordes/Groups/Collective of orcs
Who earn trophies, dangling or displaying from cords

(blank) reason for every sign on a merchant store
(Sign could mean a lot of things, what sign, open? Closed? Vault contained within?)

The Beholder who holds lost lore and the refined ore in the tunnels he dug

A labyrinth (For is Capitalized) for heroes chasing fortune. Implying that the labyrinth was made for heroes forged by dwarves long ago.

The Sphinx, (That's Me, the one telling the riddle) with generous charity fills his (blank) with rewards for promises kept. (May-happs referencing the implied promise of the riddle challenge).

the Leviathan deep, ever watchful through the dark waters he creeps,

A place of wonder that merro (Monster of sorts) sing,

A beacon to greed, you come to feed the king. Potentially saying that by coming for treasure, you are in fact feeding the king (Leviathan). Their lairs are filled with Detritus, which is an earlier line in the poem, which is pulled straight from the monster manaul

Where the Undead Archmage sleep, dreaming of fools and what the fools seek

(Where do Undead Archmages (lich) sleep?)

Those heroes come to cut me (blank) down,

Then what did they found, they wept, my Keep (Castle, Lair, Place of Ownership) keeps (Holds) no crown, a pound of flesh. An empty bank

All those monsters have at least one, but I have won, for I am the one who Keeps (Holds) Keeps (Ownership, holding, or in a different vernacular things). I have one for Each

Who or what am I?

We don't seem to be talking about greed. It looks more like a structure within a building that contains things. Its where the archmage sleeps, where things are stored, it all seems to point to saying a vault. Something that keeps within a building or structure treasure or other precious things. A host of treasure. A lair's room.

However, what confuses me is the last little bit. All the monsters have at least one lair, and we know the monsters get lair actions. Further, the Sphinx is different, if you kill the sphinx you do not access it's lair. Further, the Sphinx lair would be empty, because a Sphinx doesn't own any of what it guards. Lastly, the Sphinx controls space and time, they could easily guard multiple vaults or treasure rooms, but defeating the Sphinx in combat does nothing, because the vault is explicitly stated to be empty to those who don't complete the divine challenge.

So It could be a vault or some sort.

HOWEVER

It could also be a Challenge, as in competition or obstacle to overcome. A dungeon. The Dragon fills his with defenses, Vampire fills his lair with long lost traps and lore, beholders hold knowledge and power, and are filled with suspicion of others, Orcs and Hobgoblins engage in challenges and mark them with rope dangling from ears and trophies taken, an archmage undead guards his lair with obstacles to be overcome.

As previously discussed, the Sphinx holds the ultimate test, they may set out a riddle or challenge to be completed, which could include all of the above challenges or none at all. And it's not even their lair, it's whosoever they guard.

Lastly, it could be a mind or brain. The Vampire holds lore long past, the Dragon's is consumed by greed, the Archmage sleeps and dreams with want for mortal life, the Hobgoblins and Orcs are consumed with thought for certain things, The Sphinx hold lore like no one else, the Kraken (Leviathan)'s lairs are kings of the deep and contain secrets long hidden.

I don't have a clear answer unfortunately.

So my top three are as follows: Lair or Vault, Challenges or Obstacles, Knowledge or headspace

Lolzyking
2017-09-14, 02:54 PM
A) dispel nagic on that wall of force keeping us separated
B) killing you because you changed your pov mid rhyme making a impossible riddle
C) explain to the dm that they aren't as smart as they think they are and to stop trying to make riddles just give us int dcs because it breaks immersion that we solved the riddle out of game and not our characters, Jeanne is a lit major yes but she is also a 8 int barbarian

Nicrosil
2017-09-14, 02:55 PM
What is the Monster Manual?

JBPuffin
2017-09-14, 02:59 PM
B) killing you because you changed your pov mid rhyme making a impossible riddle
C) explain to the dm that they aren't as smart as they think they are and to stop trying to make riddles just give us int dcs because it breaks immersion that we solved the riddle out of game and not our characters, Jeanne is a lit major yes but she is also a 8 int barbarian

A is always workable; B is part of the trick - for the purposes of the riddle, it's just an extra hint, not some permanent PoV change; C actually means the smartest player gives the answer to the smartest character via a note. Or at least, that's how I'd ask it happen as a DM.

KorvinStarmast
2017-09-14, 03:07 PM
Treasure hoard

Footman
2017-09-14, 03:16 PM
Oh Great Sphinx, Master of Riddles, Lord of Wisdom, excuse my rude interruption of your Dinner. I, the little insignificant me thought that he may Know the Answer to your Riddle. I think it all makes Sense. They all seek, endless for eternity, never to be fully satisfied, or only to be Satisfied for a short while. You oh mighty Sphinx, are "Desire".

Now should this be incorrect, and you oh mighty Sphinx, would grant me, in your eternal Mercy, a second Chance, "Pride" would be the Answer i would give,

Beechgnome
2017-09-14, 04:50 PM
I'm going to go with Names, though not with much confidence.

No brains
2017-09-14, 05:02 PM
I think the answer is "Names." More specifically, reputations, as in making a name for yourself.

Vampires are fond of titles and so would append their past achievements to their name.

Dragons are known for hoarding treasure and that's why people seek them.

Hobgoblins and orcs take names, often after kicking ass, and in doing so make names for themselves.

Store signs have names of the stores on them and help promote the store.

Again with the beholder and labyrinth, the reason for people seeking them is described.

The Sphinx makes its name by trading riddles for glory.

The Leviathan and merro have legends and reputations, that could be dreadful or spread through song.

The names of undead archmages are as much where they sleep as their tombs. Without anyone seeking them out, they are as dead as any other corpse.

Names themselves are without intrinsic value. If we kill a sphinx and take its name as our only treasure, that's sorta lame.

Last, the sphinx has names and stories for all of these creatures.

I feel like my reasoning is pretty good, but not actually saying this is the best play. The sphinx did imply that there's actually nothing to be gained here. Riddles are about logic and the if-then of the sphinx's gift is one guess against passing or getting eaten. If I make no attempt at guessing or passing, there's no risk of getting eaten.

Then again, the fiat of instantly being eaten is sorta illogical. If I am talking to a sphinx that can eat me without retaliation, what logical guarantee does the sphinx have that I am something that is safe to eat? If I'm here and not worried about riddles I can't solve, claws I can't resist, muscles I cannot match, teeth I cannot bear, lair actions, or a 7th-level spell from something that can cast only up to 6th level spells, then tell me, what am I? :smallamused:

Edit: Apparently not a shadow monk. :smallbiggrin:

Coffee_Dragon
2017-09-14, 05:04 PM
With the boldness of the twice-devoured I change my reply to "threads about whether invisible creatures are auto-detected in or out of combat".

With any luck, the sphinx asplode whether it's right or not

Beechgnome
2017-09-14, 05:08 PM
I think the answer is "Names." More specifically, reputations, as in making a name for yourself.

Vampires are fond of titles and so would append their past achievements to their name.

Dragons are known for hoarding treasure and that's why people seek them.

Hobgoblins and orcs take names, often after kicking ass, and in doing so make names for themselves.

Store signs have names of the stores on them and help promote the store.

Again with the beholder and labyrinth, the reason for people seeking them is described.

The Sphinx makes its name by trading riddles for glory.

The Leviathan and merro have legends and reputations, that could be dreadful or spread through song.

The names of undead archmages are as much where they sleep as their tombs. Without anyone seeking them out, they are as dead as any other corpse.

Names themselves are without intrinsic value. If we kill a sphinx and take its name as our only treasure, that's sorta lame.

Last, the sphinx has names and stories for all of these creatures.

I feel like my reasoning is pretty good, but not actually saying this is the best play. The sphinx did imply that there's actually nothing to be gained here. Riddles are about logic and the if-then of the sphinx's gift is one guess against passing or getting eaten. If I make no attempt at guessing or passing, there's no risk of getting eaten.

Then again, the fiat of instantly being eaten is sorta illogical. If I am talking to a sphinx that can eat me without retaliation, what logical guarantee does the sphinx have that I am something that is safe to eat? If I'm here and not worried about riddles I can't solve, claws I can't resist, muscles I cannot match, teeth I cannot bear, lair actions, or a 7th-level spell from something that can cast only up to 6th level spells, then tell me, what am I? :smallamused:

Edit: Apparently not a shadow monk. :smallbiggrin:

Yes, for all these reasons. Plus the first graph seems to allude to a graveyard with headstones, but like so much of this, I don't say that with much confidence.

Aembrosia
2017-09-14, 07:32 PM

The sphinx frowns dissapointedly. "Of all the answers I have received this one makes me most displeased. How easily you must concede to any obstacle that might impede. The truth to my riddle you soon shall see, there is no wrong answer, there are many right answers, but the correct answer? well.. yes it is arbitrary. Therein lies your frustration. Evidence to an impatient generation. I can't say I'm surprised your words resort to the malign. Nevertheless, mine shall persist, encouraging and benign.

Oh Great Sphinx, Master of Riddles, Lord of Wisdom, excuse my rude interruption of your Dinner. I, the little insignificant me thought that he may Know the Answer to your Riddle. I think it all makes Sense. They all seek, endless for eternity, never to be fully satisfied, or only to be Satisfied for a short while. You oh mighty Sphinx, are "Desire".

Now should this be incorrect, and you oh mighty Sphinx, would grant me, in your eternal Mercy, a second Chance, "Pride" would be the Answer i would give,

The sphinx sighs deeply, almost smiling, "Think nothing of it, all are welcome in my domain. I'm pleased to have food so polite. When I devour you I shant cause you pain. Now come closer I desire bite." It snaps its jaws at you. "No little one, though your guess is inspired. Like many before the answer must be retired. Since you asked so nicely I'll give you not two but three. Oh how I do appreciate some good sychophancy. As for the former I'm sorry to say prides the same. Now excuse while I address the gentlemen that responded with name."

I'm going to go with Names, though not with much confidence.

Name! Yes! I mean no... This was my answer too. It is the reason I am here now guarding the corridor... waiting forever for food. The stakes I agreed to were different. I changed the game to sustain myself, for a time, now its to keep me entertained. The creatures all shared a name. If I were to destroy a name it would be an unfortunate circumstance that might bring me sorrow. Especially when I discovered it ultimately brought me no gain. I failed to place proper emphasis on the line "Those monsters many have all one." Only one, you see. A famous vampiir, Strahd Von Zarovich, he has more than three. A name can have names upon names. This was sound reason. An excellent guess. Maybe even the best. But the riddler that once questioned me explained I was thinking too rhetorically. The answer is much more mundane, keep that between you and me.

Someone mentioned Greed, or Avarice or Wanton Gluttony above, I wish to see if that were the answer.
So my top three are as follows: Lair or Vault, Challenges or Obstacles, Knowledge or headspace

I will of course oblige your request but I would be remisce to not reiterate. The answer I know is not the only, not the worst, and perhaps not the best. Your effort is great. You have valiantly braved my test. Deserving of applause and reward. No. Not chaotic gluttony nor greed. But there is a word you said that should not be ignored. Ponder on Lair, grow that seed. It is the key to sating curiosity.

Degwerks
2017-09-14, 07:53 PM
I'm going to hazard a guess. "A Tomb or Crypt"

Saeviomage
2017-09-14, 08:14 PM
What are you?

**** at making riddles. If your response to an answer is "well, that's perfectly logical, but I choose to not accept that answer", then your riddle sucks.

Aembrosia
2017-09-14, 09:35 PM
What are you?

**** at making riddles. If your response to an answer is "well, that's perfectly logical, but I choose to not accept that answer", then your riddle sucks.

Man, you are so right. This Sphinx is such an *******! Constantly judging people's perfectly good solutions. Who does he think he is? Some kind of... forward mask designed to perpetuate a flow of cumulative thought on a purposefully vague "riddle" analogous to the 1983 feature film WarGames? What a putz.

Kormerant
2017-09-14, 11:40 PM
Each of these stanzas is a story.

The shriek in the tomb.
The vampire in his castle.
The dragon in his lair.
The goblins in their armory. The orcs in their warbands. (Their trophies are stories too)
The reason for the sign on a store.
The beholder in his cave.
The labyrinth, made by dwarves.
The leviathan, deep in the sea. The merrow that sing his praise.
The Lich in his Crypt, waiting.
The heroes came for your treasure, and were disappointed. Your treasure is not in gold, but words. They found nothing.
The monsters, above, have a story. But you have many stories, one for each monster.

You are the storyteller.

Oozelord
2017-09-15, 12:00 AM
The kenku cleric boldly steps forward and in the voice of the female gnome yells "phat lewt weeeeh !" ( he would have just guessed loot, but the gnome is a gangsta )

Malifice
2017-09-15, 02:06 AM
Grog draws axe and charges!

DevilMcam
2017-09-15, 02:42 AM
you seem not to hearing me, so I'll try poetry.
This is not my answer, a mere language flower,
All those creatures you say, at night together stay.
Heroes in dungeons sleep, their own is in their keep.

And stores at night close door, the merchant in his, snore.
the Dragon like his hard, gold, jewels of his hoard.
the river has one too, the riddler himself do.
Vampires and undead, the answer is a bed.

Laserlight
2017-09-15, 04:22 AM
If you're actually using that riddle at a table, I hope your players are more patient and attentive than pretty much anyone I've played with.

Footman
2017-09-15, 08:02 AM
Oh Great Sphinx, the pleasure is mine. I have to say your Lair looks Fine. I hope i won't waste my attempt Number Three. There is now another Answer I see. Everyone has a Place where they belong, be the Leviatian listening to the Merros Song in the Deep or the Vampire resting in his Keep. My thanks to the Gentleman who pointed at Lair, the man of Name, without them my Answer would never be the same.

All Monsters have one, and it is mundane. Adventurers can't take it with Greeds Flame. Oh mighty Sphinx, now that i look around "Home" is the answer i found. Now before you devour me, a question of my own burns in my mind, if you would be so kind. Who i ask, dare to be the one that would imprison thee?

Aembrosia
2017-09-15, 09:48 AM
Grog draws axe and charges!

"Come at me little prick! I'll use your bones as a toothpick. If i've eaten one I've eaten a hundred barbarians such as you. Its really a shame you choose to be food. Ones such as you know more than you know. Nevertheless, into my stomach you go."

the answer is a bed.

"I had assumed your support for treasure was made in jest. Lets reconsider your participation in this test. There are many kinds of bed. The floor beneath me, a coffin, or as the river like you said. No, the bed I seek is the place of a leek. Render unto me that saccharine shriek. The answer I will take is not bed. Which is fine with me, I prefer your life instead." om nom nom nom

Oh mighty Sphinx, now that i look around "Home" is the answer i found. Now before you devour me, a question of my own burns in my mind, if you would be so kind. Who i ask, dare to be the one that would imprison thee?

The sphinx bares down, with his head cocked skyward he begins to quietly say "Hmmm... I really shouldnt speak of the one that made me stay..." He looks away, contemplating. "That answer weighs heavily on my task of waiting. Wading through silt and rubble searching. Searching for not the wisest nor the keen. She needs one worthy. Worthy to be seen." He flicks his gaze back to you, worried. "Even from this small measure an answer you might glean. It is not my place to give you a hint. The mind of her chosen will come to me mint." his stomach rumbles lowly, his countenance turns to a grimace slowly. "But now it seems ive room for more food, and I anguish to treat one such as you so rude. Because I intend to eat you anyway I see no harm in granting your plea. It was the Grain Goddess, Bhalla, The great mother, Chauntea." The massive winged lion pounces upon you, crushing your legs and sinking his teeth into your squishy dome. "Much like your solution, my intestines will be your new home."
***I just remembered that I promised not to hurt you when I killed you... uhhhh.. woops? I lied.

Footman
2017-09-15, 10:39 AM
"Urgh!" The Adventurer spurts blood upon being devoured. "Seeing as i am half eaten anyway, i might give this yet another try."
"You are the Watch is,.... ouch, my Answer now. Not in the Sense of a Guardian, but in the Sense of the Time that passes when Guard something"

In remote ruins a sacharine shriek
Her woeful dirge doth heed
Under detritus undeterred
Glinting glory peeks

These and more are all they keep
For they are those that keep in keep

"These and more". It doesn't matter what they Keep, they all Keep something save.

The vampiir in his castle fills his with memories of days gone by.
The serpent winged in the sky
Slave to avarice till the day he die
Filling mountain to the brim
More, more, more, more, hoard

The Vampir eternal, Guards his Keep and passes the Time with the Memories of the Past.
The Dragon, always has to keep his hoard save, for there is always someone that wants Treasures.

Hobgoblins with their armament hordes
Or hordes of orcs
Their trophies earned
Dangling from cords
The reason for the sign on every merchant store.

With their Trophies the Hobgoblins and Orcs, Guard their Reputation, for it is much more valuable to them than Treasure, it secures their Position in their Tribe.
The Merchant Guards his craft, for his Sing makes sure everyone knows, from who he bought it Guards his Buisness.

The beholder holding old lost lore
And refined ore in holes he bore
A labyrinth For heroes chasing fortune
Forged by dwarves long before.

The Beholder guards his Secrets of old lost Lore. The Dwarves built their Labyrinth, to keep Watch for them in Eternity.

You fill your Watch, Riddles, and you always keep your Promise. For if we answer correctly the Reward goes to us, and we shall pass. But if we Answer incorrectly, outch,... like me, the Reward goes to you as a Meal.

Leviathan deep e'er watchful
Through dark waters creep.
A place of wonder that merro sing
Beaconing to your greed
You come to feed the king.

The Leviathan Guards his Domain, woe all that enter it.

Where the undead archmage slept dreaming of fools
And what they seek

Even the mighty Lich, sleeps in his Lair, and Guards his Arcane secrets, and his Plots.

My keep keeps no crown.
No pound of flesh.
A bank bereft.

Perhaps someone already answered your Riddle and took the Treasure, still you are Bound to keep your Watch, so anyone who passes, will find nothing remaining.
Or you might simply Keep Watch for old Reasons long forgotten, things fallen into Dust, to be no use anymore. Perhaps, perhaps you Guard a Doorway that leads somewhere. Or you might simply be here to judge the Worthy. It matters not. You keep your Watch, because that is what you are a Guardian.

but i have won, you see
I have one for each.

Who or what am I?

Thus my conculsion, you are the Watch. You are the Action of Guarding something, for all of these Monsters have are Guarding something. You are the Will/Task of Guarding something.

The Adventurer slowly gets dissolved in Acid, and waits for an Anwser inside the Sphinxs Belly.

Aembrosia
2017-09-15, 11:52 AM
...You are...Guarding something, all these Monsters... Guarding something. You are... Guarding something.

"Guarding something... guarding something." You murmur, drifting back to consciousness.

You hear a soft smooth voice above you, "Be at ease, troubled soul, you lay at the threshold to the City of Judgement." You wearily open your eyes to see grey blades of grass growing out of dark grey soil. Rolling over you take in the colorless visage of [[a beautiful humanoid-like creature with silvery skin. Its hair and eyes gleam with an unearthly luster, and large feathery wings unfurl from its shoulder blades]], starkly contrasting a backdrop of murky white clouds pocking holes in a dull ashen sky. "Come, follow me. Kelemvor will see you." Compelled to rise you instinctively flinch from the phantom echo of an anguish that can no longer reach you. Begrudgingly you stand embroiled with resent, the memory of physical distress is an unwelcome distraction from your appetite for closure. The deva guides you through bleak city streets toward a crystal spire.

"It doesnt matter what they keep in their lair." you whisper. "just that they have one..."

"Child, let it be. Your time is done. Why do you insist? Why do you persist?" the Deva places a consoling hand on your shoulder.

"Fun. For fun. They all have one but this? This thing? Has one for each. Many lairs... what has many lairs? No creature I know of calls more than one place home..."

A familiar face, a fellow victim of the sphinx, turns from a group and approaches. "The heroes come to cut me down, for what they found they wept. A lair with no treasure, a bank bereft. Only lairs and sorrow. What has many lairs and when you cut it down it makes you cry?"

Guarding something... guarding something... guarding... Chauntea... garden...

smcmike
2017-09-15, 12:04 PM
A familiar face, a fellow victim of the sphinx, turns from a group and approaches. "The heroes come to cut me down, for what they found they wept. A lair with no treasure, a bank bereft. Only lairs and sorrow. What has many lairs and when you cut it down it makes you cry?"

From Gods' Lips -

The answer to this riddle I have deducted,
Like the Ogre of fairy tale deconstructed,
Or the name of the Fingerless Knight of lore,
Humble orbs beloved by the rich and the poor.
My life from the Great Sphinx I now seek,
By invoking the lowly relative of leek
(Though I fear it may make me reek).
Cut an Onion and weep, as is known by all,
And lairs upon lairs make up that tasty ball.

edit - unspoiled my answer.

Provo
2017-09-15, 12:25 PM
I don't believe it is the intended answer, but a potential solution could be "a ledger".

All those monsters may have a keep, but a ledger keeps keeps while itself being a bank bereft. Yet adventurers would still seek it out to "cut it down" (as in take the treasure, not as in physically cut it). Furthermore they would cry upon finding it for joy (or sadness) at finding the riches (or lack of) inside.

Dudewithknives
2017-09-15, 12:33 PM
You are Time.

Footman
2017-09-15, 12:57 PM
You hear a soft smooth voice above you, "Be at ease, troubled soul, you lay at the threshold to the City of Judgement." You wearily open your eyes to see grey blades of grass growing out of dark grey soil. Rolling over you take in the colorless visage of [[a beautiful humanoid-like creature with silvery skin. Its hair and eyes gleam with an unearthly luster, and large feathery wings unfurl from its shoulder blades]], starkly contrasting a backdrop of murky white clouds pocking holes in a dull ashen sky. "Come, follow me. Kelemvor will see you." Compelled to rise you instinctively flinch from the phantom echo of an anguish that can no longer reach you. Begrudgingly you stand embroiled with resent, the memory of physical distress is an unwelcome distraction from your appetite for closure. The deva guides you through bleak city streets toward a crystal spire.

"It doesnt matter what they keep in their lair." you whisper. "just that they have one..."

"Child, let it be. Your time is done. Why do you insist? Why do you persist?" the Deva places a consoling hand on your shoulder.

"Fun. For fun. They all have one but this? This thing? Has one for each. Many lairs... what has many lairs? No creature I know of calls more than one place home..."

Guarding something... guarding something... guarding... Chauntea... garden...

"I have to Know, oh Deva, i just have to! Hm, i might be able to come back as a Ghost to seek the Answer once more. Its,... no it can't be. Ist it the Heart or Love? No thats Wrong and Wrong again, i have to solve this! What has many Lairs, and when you cut it down it makes you cry? Each clue shrouds it more into Mystery than it Helps, but i won't give up! It might be a Dream. All creatures have one Dream one Goal, there isn't one without it, even if it is just eating. If they have to cut down their dream it makes them Cry, since such fills one with sorrow. The Sphinx has one Dream for each, since each Dreams of the Treasure he Guards, and if he beats the Riddle he Cries since he finds nothing thus cutting down his Dream."

SiCK_Boy
2017-09-15, 01:03 PM
What has many lairs and when you cut it down it makes you cry?"

An onion has many layers and will make you cry when you cut it, but I somehow doubt that's it.

Still, one of the most intriguing thread around here (and a nice change of pace from complaining about invisibility and skill rules).

smcmike
2017-09-15, 01:05 PM
An onion has many layers and will make you cry when you cut it, but I somehow doubt that's it.

Still, one of the most intriguing thread around here (and a nice change of pace from complaining about invisibility and skill rules).

This is almost certainly the answer. I didn't have a clue until Divine Intervention gave it away.

Aett_Thorn
2017-09-15, 01:40 PM
This is almost certainly the answer. I didn't have a clue until Divine Intervention gave it away.

I do have a problem if that is the answer, since the Sphinx is being fairly literal on some aspects of the riddle, but assuming that the adventurers would then treat lairs as layers.

If the answer is Onions, then you have whole extraneous stanzas in the riddle. And no proper Sphinx would allow that!

SiCK_Boy
2017-09-15, 01:45 PM
Maybe the sphinx has an accent that is difficult to convey in text?

But more seriously, when faced with a riddle like that, especially in written form, I always try to look for actual gameplay and tricks based on word spelling and such (even looked at the first letter of each word).

Another option I thought of was Gold, but if Treasure or Hoard wasn't it, then I doubt it would be.

Would business be an option?

Anyway, let's see how he decides to cook me for my earlier try! I'm pretty sure I'll fry.

Haldir
2017-09-15, 01:48 PM
These "riddles" are long as hell. Good luck getting any player to follow along with that garbo, especially if you're droning it out loud.

Zone out and ask to roll initiative.

smcmike
2017-09-15, 01:50 PM
I admit I don't get "Lair" from all of the monster stanzas, but I may just be missing something about some of them. The end makes it pretty clear that we are looking for a synonym of "keep," and that the answer has many of these. Lair/layers makes sense, and the crying adventurers confirms it.

The reason I'm confident about this is that "Onion" is the sort of answer that a good riddle has. "time" or "names" or "wealth" are all too general! Also, every good riddle has a dumb pun at its hearts and the dumber the pun, the better.

Aembrosia
2017-09-15, 02:04 PM
My keep keeps no crown.
No pound of flesh.
A bank bereft.

but i have won, you see
I have one for each.

Who or what am I?

"The stakes I agreed to were different..."

"The riddler that once questioned me explained I was thinking too rhetorically. The answer is much more mundane..."

"... my task of waiting, I really shouldnt speak of the one that made me stay..."

"Who i ask, dare to be the one that would imprison thee?"

"The great mother, Chauntea..."

"I failed to place proper emphasis on the line "Those monsters many have all one." Only one, you see..."

"But there is a word you said that should not be ignored. Ponder on Lair, grow that seed..."

"No, the bed I seek is the place of a leek..."

The goddess of agriculture smiles.
Though she failed to find one worthy this day, the answer,
she is pleased to hear someone say.
Thus closes the sphinx' trials.

____Postmortem____

Onion

Ledger(-Provo) was my favorite answer.

Thank you any and all for your participation, even if your input was only to disparage. That voice is as important as the rest because they were not wrong! It was a poor riddle. There were words mis-capitalized. There were words misspelled and perspective shift needlessly detracted from the focus. Concerns about its implementation in a real game are genuine concerns, I too implore you, do not use it if you do so stubbornly. I can not mention it often enough. Make the riddle easy or be flexible with the answer you will take. I in fact do intend to put this riddle to my party soon. They have been predisposed to easy riddles that I will subsequently add for context. The characters are already wary of this Sphinx and keen to slay the creature. It will likely be a difficult battle, allow me to alleviate the first fear effervescing, no, it cant devour them in the game as easily as it can a respondent on a forum.
I can strike any one, any where, any hour
only once you master me
will you defeat your enemy
(CREDIT: Wander Over Yonder)
I listen just like you though with my ear to the ground
I grow just like you though I weigh nothing at all
I fight just like you though I couldnt hurt a fly.

Cheers

Aett_Thorn
2017-09-15, 02:04 PM
I admit I don't get "Lair" from all of the monster stanzas, but I may just be missing something about some of them. The end makes it pretty clear that we are looking for a synonym of "keep," and that the answer has many of these. Lair/layers makes sense, and the crying adventurers confirms it.

The reason I'm confident about this is that "Onion" is the sort of answer that a good riddle has. "time" or "names" or "wealth" are all too general! Also, every good riddle has a dumb pun at its hearts and the dumber the pun, the better.

Oh, I completely understand. It's just that if that is indeed the answer, then the absolute only stanza you need is this:

"Those heroes come to cut me down
My keep keeps no crown.
No pound of flesh.
A bank bereft."

Every other stanza is meaningless, and while some lines point to "lair", others don't, which makes it seem like lair is not what is being spoken of, which ruins the riddle. For instance, take the following lines that would not point to lair or onion at all:

1) "The reason for the sign on every merchant store."
2) "Forged by dwarves long before."
3) "Leviathan deep e'er watchful
Through dark waters creep."

For 1) I don't get how you'd get a lair from that, considering that most merchants have signs showing what they sell, or the name of the establishment." Even if you're talking about where they go when they close (if that is the sign reference), then I'd say home, not lair. For 2), I wouldn't necessarily come to the conclusion of "lair" from something that Dwarves forged. Fortress, or citadel, maybe as a stretch if we are going down those lines, but probably not lair, even with the prior text. And for 3), I wouldn't think of a Leviathan having much of a lair at all, and would picture them more as swimming through the ocean constantly.

But I know that this riddle is just for fun, but if my DM game that to us, I'd groan and point out all of the logical inconsistencies.

SiCK_Boy
2017-09-15, 02:20 PM
I'll be damned!

Well now I know what to bring to the next group of orcs that threaten my hometown, or if a dragon asks for some tribute for his hoard!

Out of curiosity (and sorry if this is considered derailing the thread), but for a sphinx riddle like this one, would most of you have allowed players to just ask if they could try to solve it with an INT check? And if so, what would have been the DC?

Aembrosia
2017-09-15, 02:27 PM
For an intelligence check my DC is different on a per person basis. If I have a barbarian that used to be a farmer it might be more obvious to her, even with an 8 intelligence, that the answer is onion as a opposed to the learned wizard with a noble background who has never once chopped an onion. Sorry, its hard to say. I make a gut decision in the moment. Its like flipping a coin to make a hard decision. You only find out what you really want once the opposite presents itself as the only choice. I hesitate to leave something story driven purely up to luck.

I would also take an insight. It was mentioned at the outset that the sphinx was munching on some food. I describe it as fruits and vegetables, as per stewardship of Chauntea. A wise individual might notice a misstep of folly from the sphinx. Flicking his eyes to a half eaten onion, quietly chuckling...

Footman
2017-09-15, 02:29 PM
Honestly, if your Players by chance find the Answer, all of them will fall into Barbarian Rage and slay the Sphinx. Most of the Riddle is meaningless. Well it was still fun =).

So Payback Time. This Time i have a riddle for you, one where all Parts are actually there to figure it out :P

I am Wax
and I am Stone.
I am Light
And I am Darkness.
But my Real Nature is Flesh.
My Color is Red.
Who am I ?

Also the Answer to your other riddles:

Deep in the darkest woods I hide
I keep you safe from what lurks outside
even the strongest can not resist my power
I can strike any one, any where, any hour
only once you master me
will you defeat your enemy

You are Fear.

I look just like you though incomplete
I live just like you though half as often
I listen just like you though with my ear to the ground
I grow just like you though I weigh nothing at all
I fight just like you though I couldnt hurt a fly.

You are the Mirror Image.
EDIT: Scratch that, it's Shadow.

Aembrosia
2017-09-15, 02:39 PM
You are Fear.
You are Shadow.

Yup, nailed it. The sphinx got absolutely irate when the adventurer's didnt even let him finish one of the riddles before answering. He was seething as they chose their next path.

I like Moon for yours but I'm not ready to commit to it. True nature is flesh threw me off. I have to go make some cookies, Im sure while im thinking about it someone else will come along and figure it out.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-09-15, 03:43 PM
This gives me the most evil idea I've ever had as a DM.

I'm going to include four sphinxes in a dungeon, each with a complex puzzle. They all interlock, and require stanzas from a different sphinx to solve. Tricky, but that's not the real trap-

The real trap is that there are five sphinxes. Well, four sphinxes and a gluttonous monster that is pretending to be a sphinx and isn't actually guarding anything. His riddle will be complete nonsense and not actually have a solution, but rules say that if you answer wrong, you get eaten.

Even better, I'll make sure his stanzas vaguely resemble the other four.

Dr. Cliché
2017-09-15, 04:25 PM
I applaud your rhyming ability but I think most groups would be slitting their wrists by the 8th stanza.

If they survive long enough to hear the answer, I promise you every single D&D book in the room would be thrown at your head.

So good choice asking this online. :smallwink:

Aembrosia
2017-09-15, 05:24 PM
I am Wax
and I am Stone.
I am Light
And I am Darkness.
My Color is Red.
Who am I ?

So the honest part is Flesh. I want something made of carbon, most likely from an animal.
Red might be literal it might be a metaphor. The rest is almost certainly metaphors.

The moon can wax and wain. It reflects light. It brings the darkness of night. A harvest moon is red. But the moon isnt skin. Its rock, stone.

So they are metaphors.

Stone like stone cold, light like lighthearted, dark like evil/sanguine/cruel?

Wax. This seems like a leap. Its a metaphor so its not candle wax. I want it to be a verb, to wax, "wax poetic" to do something in a way. I have no idea.

The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak, flesh: of too poor fortitude to do what is right or gives in to temptation :: Fickle? the heart is fickle

Red blooded, cold blooded

Lighthearted, heart of stone,

I am pliable and I am rigid, I am understanding and ignorant, :: a child, a brain... brains arent red. red is fire, fire is hot, hot headed::thats some jeff goldblum circular logic. A head, brain, mind.

Its not the moon.

Baking break over... New choice is Heart. Lighthearted, "Heart of Stone", "The heart is fickle", heart of ice/cold as ice thats a big step for connotation from darkness. Ill mull it over.

Unoriginal
2017-09-15, 05:36 PM
Thought you could outsmart an onion, eh?

SiCK_Boy
2017-09-15, 05:47 PM
I think heart it is, although I would not claim any credit for it if so.

I guess I'm just more careless with my life and trying out those answers now.

One thing I am curious about is that missing e in Natur. I googled the word this way and the first thing that came up was a Bible citation about the Christ telling us to eat his flesh (but I think heart is a much better choice).

Is it just a typo, some style of speech, or does it actually matter?

Deeds
2017-09-15, 05:51 PM
"Ethereal Jaunt."

scalyfreak
2017-09-15, 07:30 PM
I am Wax
and I am Stone.
I am Light
And I am Darkness.
My Color is Red.
Who am I ?

You might be blood.

You could also be a gargoyle.

I feel like neither one of my answers satisfies every single criteria, but this is the best I can do on an empty stomach.

BoringInfoGuy
2017-09-15, 08:29 PM
My guess to the "I am Wax" riddle:

You are wine.

No brains
2017-09-15, 09:05 PM
I had fun. Thanks for the riddle. Too bad I didn't get the literal answer.

The answer for my riddle was "I am a board full of rpg nerds." :smallbiggrin: "If I am here" was my weird literal clue.

BoringInfoGuy
2017-09-15, 11:32 PM
Changing my answer:

I am Wax - A type of Apple.
and I am Stone. - A type of apple.
I am Light - The inside of the apple.
And I am Darkness. - The outer skin is darker. Could also be the seeds.
But my Real Nature is Flesh. - A term for the light part of the apple that you eat.
My Color is Red. - Traditional apple color.
Who am I ? - An Apple.

Had discounted apples earlier, because I had not heard of wax or stone apples. Then someone brought Wax apples to tonight's dinner.

Footman
2017-09-16, 12:35 AM
So the honest part is Flesh. I want something made of carbon, most likely from an animal.
Red might be literal it might be a metaphor. The rest is almost certainly metaphors.

The moon can wax and wain. It reflects light. It brings the darkness of night. A harvest moon is red. But the moon isnt skin. Its rock, stone.

So they are metaphors.

Stone like stone cold, light like lighthearted, dark like evil/sanguine/cruel?

Wax. This seems like a leap. Its a metaphor so its not candle wax. I want it to be a verb, to wax, "wax poetic" to do something in a way. I have no idea.

The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak, flesh: of too poor fortitude to do what is right or gives in to temptation :: Fickle? the heart is fickle

Red blooded, cold blooded

Lighthearted, heart of stone,

I am pliable and I am rigid, I am understanding and ignorant, :: a child, a brain... brains arent red. red is fire, fire is hot, hot headed::thats some jeff goldblum circular logic. A head, brain, mind.

Its not the moon.

Baking break over... New choice is Heart. Lighthearted, "Heart of Stone", "The heart is fickle", heart of ice/cold as ice thats a big step for connotation from darkness. Ill mull it over.

You Answer,.... is correct. The Dungeon Door opens leading to the Treasure Hoard.
Heart of Wax (Weak, soft), Heart of Stone. (Someone who has a Heart of Stone)
Light and Darkness = Good and Evil, both Lurk in the Hearts of Men.
My True Nature is Flesh, My Color Red. Well Obviously.

Unoriginal

Thought you could outsmart an onion, eh?

No one outsmarts an Onion!

"Ethereal Jaunt."
The Runes on the Dungeon Floor glow Red, and you can see Dozens of Ghosts coming through the Walls. Roll Initiative!

You might be blood.

You could also be a gargoyle.

I feel like neither one of my answers satisfies every single criteria, but this is the best I can do on an empty stomach.

Oh you're hungry? Let me introduce you to some Freinds of mine who are too. A Trapdoor opens under you, and you fall into a Room filled with Water and hungry Alligators, and no Exit. Enjoy your Meal.

BoringInfoGuy
Wine

Suddenly a Teleportation circle glows under you and Teleports you into the Dining Room of a Castle. A Vampire approaches you. "Ah Gentleman there are much more Delicious drinks then Wine. Let me show you."

SiCK_Boy

I think heart it is, although I would not claim any credit for it if so.

I guess I'm just more careless with my life and trying out those answers now.

One thing I am curious about is that missing e in Natur. I googled the word this way and the first thing that came up was a Bible citation about the Christ telling us to eat his flesh (but I think heart is a much better choice).

Is it just a typo, some style of speech, or does it actually matter?

Sometimes even the wrong way Leads to the Goal, and a Mistake i made, helps you on your Way. So Yes your Answer is correct it is indeed the Heart.
Actually i just didn't write the E in by Accident.

The Treasure Vault opens for you as well, but sadly, there only lies a Single Onion. It seems someone beat you on your Race to the Treasure.

Beechgnome
2017-09-16, 02:04 PM
If this indeed the place to leave riddles for wandering Sphinx's to pick up and add to their collection, I'm just going to leave this one here. Since no one has answered yet I'm adding to it.

The sphinx speaks:

As a man I am young, gay, a dashing display
In the earth I am old, ancient tales to be told
So narrow we are, in fields near and far
On water held wide, to stroke 'gainst the tide.
One in the mouth, two in the back
The muscle the meat or the bone
Held in the hand, quick to attack
Know you my name on your own?

Another sphinx approaches and clears its throat:

Sketch with a quill or unleash your weapon?
Just the opposite my befuddled friend
Protector or protected, which should it be?
Both my good man, throughout the city!

And finally, a third sphinx, the dreaded meta-sphinx, comes forward.

Now imagine the second follows the first
Preventing the beast from slaking its thirst
Would you take the boon from this riddly hodgepodge
Or accept that it's simply better to dodge?

What are your answers to each of the guardians?

BoutsofInsanity
2017-09-16, 06:19 PM
Layer and Lair are completely different things. It's important to make that distinction. Especially in written form. It's not so big of a deal in verbal, but spelling and the English language matter.

Onions have layers.

People have Lairs

Lair is pronounced with one syllable and Layer is pronounced with two. By using the word lair you make it impossible in written form to have any kind of shot at understanding the riddle. Please make that distinction when you use it in game.

SiCK_Boy
2017-09-16, 07:18 PM
Onions have layers.

People have Lairs

I'm sure you meant the reverse, right?

Those sneaky onions have been lairing in my basement cold room for years, while multiple people have numerous layers you need to pull off one after the other. If you refrained from killing every orc you meet, maybe you would see how much poetry live in their hearts (but the hate they bear you and the torture they'd inflige would have you crying sooner or later).

smcmike
2017-09-16, 07:28 PM
Layer and Lair are completely different things.

Are you sure?

scalyfreak
2017-09-16, 08:11 PM
People have layers and lairs? :smalleek:

This is becoming far too complicated for me!

SiCK_Boy
2017-09-16, 08:47 PM
And most lairs have many layers... some people are still digging through Halaster's lair and have yet to reach the bottom of Undermountain!

Aembrosia
2017-09-16, 09:23 PM
What has many lairs and when you cut it down it makes you cry?"

The answer to this riddle I have deducted,
Cut an Onion and weep, as is known by all,
And lairs upon lairs make up that tasty ball.

Lair is pronounced with one syllable and Layer is pronounced with two. By using the word lair you make it impossible in written form to have any kind of shot at understanding the riddle. Please make that distinction when you use it in game.

Emphasis mine. That's an interesting opinion, BoutsofInsanity. Duly noted.

Hey smcmike, apparently you rolled a 30 on your intelligence check! Well done!

scalyfreak
2017-09-16, 10:00 PM
I feel obligated to point out here that pronunciation varies greatly between regions. It's quite possible that "lairs" and"layers" are homophones in some dialects or regions. And if they are, the riddle is legitimate for anyone native to that pronunciation.

SiCK_Boy
2017-09-16, 10:08 PM
My first language is french; not sure how much it may have influenced my deduction on the pronunciation of both.

Really, to me, it was the clue about having you cry when you cut it. I just thought of onion, and then I looked for some way to make it fit with the riddle (or at least, some of the clues), and I latched onto this lair/layer similarity.

scalyfreak
2017-09-16, 11:07 PM
My first isn't English either. :smalltongue:

That said, I agree with you on pronunciation of layer vs lair. However, work with enough English speakers them from all over the world that I have learned that there is no such thing as right or wrong pronunciation on the global scale. It's all about whether people understand you.

Sindeloke
2017-09-16, 11:33 PM
If this indeed the place to leave riddles for wandering Sphinx's to pick up and add to their collection, I'm just going to leave this one here. Since no one has answered yet I'm adding to it.

The sphinx speaks:

This one is a blade, although I don't get the first line.

Unsure of the other two. The third riddle in combination with the first sort of suggests to me that the second one is "shield" in some way, but I can't quite make the pieces fit.

Beechgnome
2017-09-17, 07:25 AM

Unsure of the other two. The third riddle in combination with the first sort of suggests to me that the second one is "shield" in some way, but I can't quite make the pieces fit.

'Yes to the first so close with the next
It's cryptic and can trip so don't be vexed
For the last I say with proper decorum
Remember you are in a 5e forum.'

smcmike
2017-09-17, 07:35 AM
l

Google "gay blade."

SiCK_Boy
2017-09-17, 08:09 AM
'Yes to the first so close with the next
It's cryptic and can trip so don't be vexed
For the last I say with proper decorum
Remember you are in a 5e forum.'

Board for the second one?

And the last one is the Protection fighting style?

Beechgnome
2017-09-17, 08:12 AM
Board for the second one?

And the last one is the Protection fighting style?

'A linear answer,' the second sphinx yawns.
'Must be a warrior,' the third says sagely.
They do not pass.

DMfromTheAbyss
2017-09-17, 01:35 PM

Sword or blade

Sheath

Dodge... it is better to dodge than get the result of getting whacked by a sword even sheathed.

That being said you have to be really careful about using riddles in your game. If you have a player or two interested in them then it may be worth it. However it can also stall out a good game and as several of you posting have taken quite a while to come up with answers, imagine the same with you being asked on the spot, unable to continue playing likely with multiple other players willing to answer randomly or poorly just to "get on with it".

This is not even taking into account all the arguments that can ensue. A riddle unless really obvious can be tricky and have multiple interpretations. A lot of gamers will argue endlessly about them and it can cause disruption at the table.

Some players would come over the table for you based on the first riddle offered on length alone. Definitely know your audience and be willing to adjust accordingly.

My 2 cents

Beechgnome
2017-09-17, 01:50 PM

Sword or blade

Sheath

Dodge... it is better to dodge than get the result of getting whacked by a sword even sheathed.

That being said you have to be really careful about using riddles in your game. If you have a player or two interested in them then it may be worth it. However it can also stall out a good game and as several of you posting have taken quite a while to come up with answers, imagine the same with you being asked on the spot, unable to continue playing likely with multiple other players willing to answer randomly or poorly just to "get on with it".

This is not even taking into account all the arguments that can ensue. A riddle unless really obvious can be tricky and have multiple interpretations. A lot of gamers will argue endlessly about them and it can cause disruption at the table.

Some players would come over the table for you based on the first riddle offered on length alone. Definitely know your audience and be willing to adjust accordingly.

My 2 cents

I agree with all of your points. If I were handing out a riddle like this, it would more likely be on a parchment or something players could then, out of session, go mad trying to figure out. My players right now? They hate them, so if I do write them, they are two to three lines maximum.

Having said that, this one came to me in a rush of demented inspiration.

As to your answers, I think we've established the first one is, indeed, your second choice.

I'll say this about the second/third clues: when considered with the first, it'll take a spell to figure out, but once you do, it'll be super obvious. There won't be any doubt.

Having said that, your third answer is still probably correct.

scalyfreak
2017-09-17, 02:03 PM
Another sphinx approaches and clears its throat:

First line is "draw". The opposite of drawing a blade is sheathing it. The remaining three lines point to the answer being "sheath", so I'll go with that.

I think the idea is for the answer to the second part to be "draw" and the third could be "lunge". However, it can as easily be "sheath" and "dodge", and that means that is you use this at a table with someone like me, you might have an argument on your hands. Tread carefully... if the clues can be interpreted in more than one way, that means there is more than one right answer.

Beechgnome
2017-09-17, 02:12 PM
First line is "draw". The opposite of drawing a blade is sheathing it. The remaining three lines point to the answer being "sheath", so I'll go with that.

I think the idea is for the answer to the second part to be "draw" and the third could be "lunge". However, it can as easily be "sheath" and "dodge", and that means that is you use this at a table with someone like me, you might have an argument on your hands. Tread carefully... if the clues can be interpreted in more than one way, that means there is more than one right answer.

The answer you give starts absolutely right, but then deviates as I intended a different interpretation of what the word 'opposite' means. As one sphinx alluded to, too many cryptic crosswords in my life I guess. Once you unravel that, both the protector/protected and city lines will make a lot more sense.

scalyfreak
2017-09-17, 02:29 PM
The answer you give starts absolutely right, but then deviates as I intended a different interpretation of what the word 'opposite' means. As one sphinx alluded to, too many cryptic crosswords in my life I guess. Once you unravel that, both the protector/protected and city lines will make a lot more sense.

To me, this is by far the biggest problem with using riddles in games. If there's more than one possible interpretation, and only one of them is "right", there needs to be obvious clues pointing in that direction.

In this particular case, everything points to "sheath", meaning a player like me would very well start an argument if you can't show unequivocally that an alternative interpretation makes a lot more sense. I would argue, in this case, the fact that multiple posters in this thread can't find that interpretation, means the riddle isn't nearly as obvious as it needs to be to be used in a game. For forum game it's fine, of course. Or, as someone else suggested, give it to the players at the end of a session so they have plenty of time to work on it.

Sketch with a quill or unleash your weapon? = Draw
Just the opposite my befuddled friend = Sheath
Protector or protected, which should it be? = A sheath is a protector of the blade is sheaths. Something that is sheathed is protected.
Both my good man, throughout the city! =Meaningless. You threw that in to confuse us. Sphinxes do that (and GMs too). :smalltongue:

Added the spoiler for no other reason than to show my reasoning. Since it seems to be wrong, it might still help someone else figure this out.

Beechgnome
2017-09-17, 02:39 PM
To me, this is by far the biggest problem with using riddles in games. If there's more than one possible interpretation, and only one of them is "right", there needs to be obvious clues pointing in that direction.

In this particular case, everything points to "sheath", meaning a player like me would very well start an argument if you can't show unequivocally that an alternative interpretation makes a lot more sense. I would argue, in this case, the fact that multiple posters in this thread can't find that interpretation, means the riddle isn't nearly as obvious as it needs to be to be used in a game. For forum game it's fine, of course. Or, as someone else suggested, give it to the players at the end of a session so they have plenty of time to work on it.

Sketch with a quill or unleash your weapon? = Draw
Just the opposite my befuddled friend = Sheath
Protector or protected, which should it be? = A sheath is a protector of the blade is sheaths. Something that is sheathed is protected.
Both my good man, throughout the city! =Meaningless. You threw that in to confuse us. Sphinxes do that (and GMs too). :smalltongue:

Added the spoiler for no other reason than to show my reasoning. Since it seems to be wrong, it might still help someone else figure this out.

Yeah, it's one of the reasons to throw this out on the board... seeing how frustrating it is, it's a good reminder that riddles generally don't work. If people want, I can add the solution as a spoiler.

Beechgnome
2017-09-17, 06:08 PM
So if anyone is left who still wants to solve the three riddles, resist the temptation to click on the spoilers.

Otherwise, here are the answers and explanations:

The first riddle

Answer: blade

As a man I am young, gay, a dashing display (e.g. Zorro: The gay blade.)
In the earth I am old, ancient tales to be told (blade as piece of stone chipped off, an archaeological term)
So narrow we are, in fields near and far (blades of grass)
On water held wide, to stroke 'gainst the tide. (The wide, flat blade of an oar)
(the blade of the tongue, a muscle in your mouth, and your two shoulder blades, which can refer to the bone or the cut of meat)
Held in the hand, quick to attack (blade as sword, naturally)
Know you my name on your own? (This is just a reference to whether you need help from the other two riddles)

The second riddle:

Answer: ward

Sketch with a quill or unleash your weapon? (As some correctly noted, draw)
Just the opposite my befuddled friend (oblique reference to draw, spelled backwards, reading as 'ward'. I should have written 'You've got it backwards, my befuddled friend' to be more on the nose. As I said, too many cryptic crosswords)
Protector or protected, which should it be? (A ward is both a protection, and the one under protection, as in a ward of the state)
Both my good man, throughout the city! (Wards, as defined as sections of a city)

The third riddle

The answer: It's better to dodge, unless you are an eldritch knight with war magic I suppose.

And finally, a third sphinx, the dreaded meta-sphinx, comes forward. (The meta here was a tip that this would be meta-gaming directed at players, not the characters themselves)

Now imagine the second follows the first (blade ward)
Preventing the beast from slaking its thirst (in theory, the benefit of the blade ward cantrip)
Or accept that it's simply better to dodge? (It is generally better to dodge than to cast blade ward. Saves you a cantrip spot too!)

Thanks for playing, for those who did.

scalyfreak
2017-09-17, 06:22 PM
Yes, you should probably have said backwards. Or reverse, though that is not as clear.

The word "opposite" means what is important about the word that is the answer to the first clue is the word's meaning, not the spelling. I would go so far as to say that your explanation didn't actually make the answer make more sense. It did however show the importance of writing your clues in a way that makes sense to the players/audience. Like charades, it works best when you play it with people who think the same way that you do. If it had occurred to me that the answer to the question "What is the opposite of 'draw'?" was to reverse the spelling instead of searching for the opposite meaning, it would indeed have been obvious.

Beechgnome
2017-09-17, 07:32 PM
Yes, you should probably have said backwards. Or reverse, though that is not as clear.

The word "opposite" means what is important about the word that is the answer to the first clue is the word's meaning, not the spelling. I would go so far as to say that your explanation didn't actually make the answer make more sense. It did however show the importance of writing your clues in a way that makes sense to the players/audience. Like charades, it works best when you play it with people who think the same way that you do. If it had occurred to me that the answer to the question "What is the opposite of 'draw'?" was to reverse the spelling instead of searching for the opposite meaning, it would indeed have been obvious.

Yes, 'the opposite' should have been 'the reverse', or the more obvious suggestion. Ah well, that's why we workshop these things...

Sindeloke
2017-09-17, 07:33 PM
Huh. Contrary to scalyfreak, I find your explanation totally reasonable and pretty clever, though I agree about "opposite" versus "reverse."

Saeviomage
2017-09-18, 12:25 AM
Incidentally, I've realized that the lair powers of a sphinx can make it so that the sphinx's riddle MUST be solved before you can reach what it's guarding, without making the alternative a simple combat. You can either just use a straightforward planar shift to elsewhere in the universe upon a successful riddle, or you could go much more difficult - completely destroy whatever the sphinx is guarding. Then a sphinx and a sphinx alone can throw the party backwards in time with it's lair action (at a rate of 10 years per short rest) to before the thing was destroyed.

DevilMcam
2017-09-18, 08:29 AM
Alright,

I'll take my turn at Riddling if that's okay for you :

I come in all shapes and size
Preventing warriors' demise

The red tyrant, so dreaded
Without me would be shredded

The builder's bane,
The merchant's fame

The gods of old kings, under rocks and sand
For the dead kept me at hand.

KorvinStarmast
2017-09-18, 08:56 AM
Layer is two syllables (rhymes with slayer) Lay - yer.
Lair is one (rhymes with care)

Not well done on use of language/words. No, they are not homophones.
Also, the poem / riddle needs a lot of liposuction.

smcmike
2017-09-18, 09:02 AM

Not well done on use of language/words. No, they are not homophones.
Also, the poem / riddle needs a lot of liposuction.

Some people just don't get puns. The point is that it's a bit of a groaner.

KorvinStarmast
2017-09-18, 09:07 AM
Some people just don't get puns. The point is that it's a bit of a groaner.

I get puns just fine. The problem with the riddle is that a great deal of it is unnecessary and unrelated to Onion.

smcmike
2017-09-18, 09:57 AM
I get puns just fine. The problem with the riddle is that a great deal of it is unnecessary and unrelated to Onion.

Oh, I agree with that half of your critique. I just don't have a problem with layers/lairs. They are close enough for a bad pun, and the best puns are bad puns.

scalyfreak
2017-09-18, 08:24 PM
Alright,

I'll take my turn at Riddling if that's okay for you :

I come in all shapes and size
Preventing warriors' demise

The red tyrant, so dreaded
Without me would be shredded

The builder's bane,
The merchant's fame

The gods of old kings, under rocks and sand
For the dead kept me at hand.

Scale

That is my attempt at an answer.

Chugger
2017-09-18, 08:51 PM
Agree w/ needs liposuction comments. A great riddle is to the point and very honed. Not rambling or this "fat".

Saccharin? Meta-word. Modern science word.

Also great riddles can't mislead too much. They really have to have only one "reasonable" answer that truly fits - and the solution should feel like an "aha!" (it should ring true) instead of a "okay what about this?" When you hear the answer you should not feel "uh huh" or "meh" - which is the case here.

Study the classic riddles before you try to make any more. Really.

DevilMcam
2017-09-19, 02:49 AM
Scale

That is my attempt at an answer.

Why am I not suprised that it is you that found the answer?

Sorlock Master
2017-09-19, 05:17 AM
To the Original Riddle thought the anwser was why.

scalyfreak
2017-09-19, 07:43 AM
Why am I not surprised that it is you that found the answer?

:smallbiggrin:

Good riddle. The first clue was a little tricky, but once the second one had me pointed in the right direction, the third and fourth made the answer obvious.

Ravinsild
2017-09-19, 12:51 PM
"In my way."

Very cool one liner. Commence combat. Look cooler if you win. ;)

KorvinStarmast
2017-09-19, 04:37 PM
"In my way."
Sounds like a great Belkar-esque answer.

PhantomSoul
2017-09-19, 04:43 PM

Depends on the dialect (in a lot of areas, "err" and "error", "lair" and "layer", "mare" and "mayor" *ARE* homophones, rather than just being very similar), so it could be that they are for AMKorvinStarmast (or the words could just be close enough that they went with it)

Ravinsild
2017-09-19, 04:54 PM
Depends on the dialect (in a lot of areas, "err" and "error", "lair" and "layer", "mare" and "mayor" *ARE* homophones, rather than just being very similar), so it could be that they are for AMKorvinStarmast (or the words could just be close enough that they went with it)

Lair and Layer are similar here but not quite the rest.

druid91
2017-09-19, 08:12 PM
I take the counter proposal. I turn into a huge snake and eat the large size sphinx. #Yuan-Ti Life.

Coffee_Dragon
2017-09-20, 06:59 PM
Riddles, puzzles, mazes and the like always seem to be tricky in RPGs; it's like you're straddling a thin line between obvious and frustrating at the best of times.

Compound riddles like the one in the OP can be problematic because they're not really one riddle with an intuitively graspable core as much as a laundry list where each item has been obfuscated using its own individual logic. This thing here is a metaphor. This other thing should be trimmed down, then interpreted literally, in a certain way, of course. Here you're supposed to single out a significant word. And here you're supposed to do the same thing only the actual word sought is a homophone or homonym. This part is redundant with that part except for thematic variation. Oh, and this bit here is pure embellishment, I guess. You don't solve that by having a heureka moment as much as chancing to be right about a number of separately unverifiable assumptions. And in the end if the players fail a riddle like that, they're less likely to go "wow, that's a good riddle, so evil, we tripped on all these red herrings", and more likely to go "wow, we wasted all this time".

Being a DM and putting puzzles in your adventures. It's hard and nobody understands.

Dappershire
2017-09-23, 02:47 AM
Did we already figure out the original riddle? Do I really have to read through everything?
Well I put forth my own answer; and it is just that.

An Answer.